NMB Trophy

General Christian Theology
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: NMB Trophy

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:52 am
mike wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:29 am I've felt that NMB families are seen as trophies in some churches; back in the era of the "Charity churches" for instance.
More as an asides to this thread, when do you think the Charity franchise had its glory days? Mid-90's? Later than that? I transplanted in '95 and the Hope, EPMC and PMC people I worked with were almost half scared of the Charity movement. Perhaps I was just an impressionable teenager and took it wrong?
We had a family member who was closely affiliated with the Charity Movement and if I recall correctly, they did not want to have the word "Mennonite" in their naming of their church. Some of their "trophies" were ex-Hutterites. Sadly, some of them were so accustomed to the shared possessions concept, they had a hard time adjusting to a concept outside of that.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Grace wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:42 am
We had a family member who was closely affiliated with the Charity Movement and if I recall correctly, they did not want to have the word "Mennonite" in their naming of their church.
Ironically, those same groups don't want to be affiliated with Charity :mrgreen:
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:02 am
Grace wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:42 am
We had a family member who was closely affiliated with the Charity Movement and if I recall correctly, they did not want to have the word "Mennonite" in their naming of their church.
Ironically, those same groups don't want to be affiliated with Charity :mrgreen:
Didn't think of that, but you are right.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Some people from Idaho or the Dakotas or some place like that have an ex-Hutterite Charity church. When I met one of them, she told me “We aren’t a typical Charity church”.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Ken wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:27 pm
Chris wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:24 pm But is there a difference between example 1 and 2 in my original post.
Recap
Example 1 is a person who comes in with a very messy life and problems.
Example 2 is a family that comes in with "their act together" self supporting, no real issues etc.

Does example 2 get placed as a trophy or in a glass jar of sorts? Would there be (a little) hesitation for cradle Mennonites to marry into this type of NMB (example 2).
How do you think Jesus would answer? I can think of a number of verses that are apropos.
Acts chapter 10 gives something to think about regarding this topic. The recognition of the Gentiles I think was somewhat similar in how the Jews viewed non-Jew believers. And this Gentile believer, Cornelius, was even a Roman centurion. Peter said it was even against the Jewish law to mix with a Gentile. God changed his attitude and the Spirit was poured out on the Gentiles to the astonishment of the 'circumsized'.
Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right
To me, this says that if God fully accepts anyone, then all should be treated the same. 'Trophies', I believe is a carnal view from the ego and not the Holy Spirit.

I think this holds true for other groupings of people in God's family also. All these distinctions within Christianity (conservative, liberal, evangelical and all the other brandings) are carnal thinking. Paul tried to point this out to the believers in Corinth. There is a lot of ego reflected in Christianity with all this separation language within the body of those Christ has accepted as His.

But I don't see a problem with recognizing the dramatic changes in some conversions over others as Paul regarded himself a 'chief of sinners' even though his pre-conversion life was highly religious. An outstanding Pharisee. However, the glory should all be focused on God and not the individual. It is God who has made the changes in one's life, not man.

I could add more but I'll wait to see if others view this differently.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

So in the family situation, let's say a NMB family who doesn't have any "real issues" joined... They are Christians, responsible, little to no adaptation to culture, would their children be a bit less desirable as marriage candidates because "they don't have the right last name".

So basically my questions center around "We love this family very much and glad they converted..... (Trophy/Novelty)" Then later to their youth "Yes we do like them but I'd kind of rather you my daughter marry a Mennonite boy from a family that is like us" (cradle).

Is this true? Would the children of the converted decent family be less likely to be a candidate for marriage in let's say a moderate conservative type setting?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I don’t think it’s true. That being said, I don’t know of any children who are of marriageable age from seekers. I know several first generation single seekers who got married in the church. Are there churches it could be true? I think that’s highly likely. But not any western fellowship church I know. I’m not as familiar with pilgrim but the one I’m at has a seeker married to one of the ministers daughters.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Chris wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:28 pm So in the family situation, let's say a NMB family who doesn't have any "real issues" joined... They are Christians, responsible, little to no adaptation to culture, would their children be a bit less desirable as marriage candidates because "they don't have the right last name".

So basically my questions center around "We love this family very much and glad they converted..... (Trophy/Novelty)" Then later to their youth "Yes we do like them but I'd kind of rather you my daughter marry a Mennonite boy from a family that is like us" (cradle).

Is this true? Would the children of the converted decent family be less likely to be a candidate for marriage in let's say a moderate conservative type setting?
To be a little bit cynical, I bet the answer also depends on how wealthy and prominent this new NMB family is. If they have a prosperous 1,000 acre farm or a thriving and growing business of some sort and a big house I bet the kids are more "marriageable" than if the dad is a clerk at Wal-Mart and they live in an aging rented double-wide on the edge of town. And also, of course, how personable and attractive the kids are.

Because "marriageability" isn't just about what the church thinks or the parents and grandparents thing. It mostly about what the individual young men or women of marriage age in that church think.
Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Ken wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:41 pm
Chris wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:28 pm So in the family situation, let's say a NMB family who doesn't have any "real issues" joined... They are Christians, responsible, little to no adaptation to culture, would their children be a bit less desirable as marriage candidates because "they don't have the right last name".

To be a little bit cynical, I bet the answer also depends on how wealthy and prominent this new NMB family is. If they have a prosperous 1,000 acre farm or a thriving and growing business of some sort and a big house I bet the kids are more "marriageable" than if the dad is a clerk at Wal-Mart and they live in an aging rented double-wide on the edge of town.
Oh man. :)
Have mercy! LOL :laugh :laugh

Let's say they are "average" in wealth.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Chris wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:46 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:41 pm

To be a little bit cynical, I bet the answer also depends on how wealthy and prominent this new NMB family is. If they have a prosperous 1,000 acre farm or a thriving and growing business of some sort and a big house I bet the kids are more "marriageable" than if the dad is a clerk at Wal-Mart and they live in an aging rented double-wide on the edge of town.
Oh man. :)
Have mercy! LOL :laugh :laugh

Let's say they are "average" in wealth.
Then it probably depends at least in part on the "competition" :lol:
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr