NMB Trophy

General Christian Theology
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Re: NMB Trophy

Post by Chris »

But is there a difference between example 1 and 2 in my original post.
Recap
Example 1 is a person who comes in with a very messy life and problems.
Example 2 is a family that comes in with "their act together" self supporting, no real issues etc.

Does example 2 get placed as a trophy or in a glass jar of sorts? Would there be (a little) hesitation for cradle Mennonites to marry into this type of NMB (example 2).
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Chris wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:24 pm But is there a difference between example 1 and 2 in my original post.
Recap
Example 1 is a person who comes in with a very messy life and problems.
Example 2 is a family that comes in with "their act together" self supporting, no real issues etc.

Does example 2 get placed as a trophy or in a glass jar of sorts? Would there be (a little) hesitation for cradle Mennonites to marry into this type of NMB (example 2).
How do you think Jesus would answer? I can think of a number of verses that are apropos.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

I've felt that NMB families are seen as trophies in some churches; back in the era of the "Charity churches" for instance. If your Mennonite or quasi-Mennonite church didn't have anybody from non-Mennonite background, you didn't rate high in some people's estimation. But that has been awhile. I don't know if it's still that way or not. I suspect that most Mennonite churches have had a wide variety of experiences (some more than others, obviously) with NMB families joining, and that the reaction to that would be shaped primarily by each situation.

My guess is that it is always a tendency in ANY church to have a certain respect for those who join the church as converts, whether from other churches that are significantly different or from non-religious background, because frankly it is an uncommon occurrence in most churches. I think most churches grow by people from relatively similar churches shifting their membership around based on personal preferences, or by the family members and friends of existing members joining.

For example, were I to join the local Catholic or Lutheran church, I think it would be surprising for the members of those churches considering where I'm coming from, and they might possibly have a certain respect for my family that they wouldn't really have for cradle Catholic or Lutheran families. I don't know if that could be called the "trophy" phenomenon or not.

Over time new members that are seen as "trophies" will be seen more realistically. Nobody can hold up to the pressures and scrutiny of being a "trophy" family in a church. The sooner the trophy is taken off the mantlepiece, the better in my opinion.

That said, I think that there should be joy when a person is converted from a life of sin and is brought into the church. Think the Prodigal Son. You could say his father made a trophy out of him.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I don't know if the term "trophy" is right. Perhaps a "novelty" would be more correct?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

mike wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:29 am I've felt that NMB families are seen as trophies in some churches; back in the era of the "Charity churches" for instance. If your Mennonite or quasi-Mennonite church didn't have anybody from non-Mennonite background, you didn't rate high in some people's estimation. But that has been awhile. I don't know if it's still that way or not. I suspect that most Mennonite churches have had a wide variety of experiences (some more than others, obviously) with NMB families joining, and that the reaction to that would be shaped primarily by each situation.
I would wonder if the anti-Mennonite Amish sentiment coming out of early charity had anything to do with it… to be fair, when I evaluate a CM church, the first question I’m asking is about NMB people. If they don’t have any or have had a few come and go…
There also seems to be considerably more seekers 30+ years older then me (in my 30s) who stayed with the conservative Mennonites making me wonder just how critical the internet is damaging our witness or lack there of. Hard to reach someone passively who is glued to their phone.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
mike

Post by mike »

Soloist wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:50 am
mike wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:29 am I've felt that NMB families are seen as trophies in some churches; back in the era of the "Charity churches" for instance. If your Mennonite or quasi-Mennonite church didn't have anybody from non-Mennonite background, you didn't rate high in some people's estimation. But that has been awhile. I don't know if it's still that way or not. I suspect that most Mennonite churches have had a wide variety of experiences (some more than others, obviously) with NMB families joining, and that the reaction to that would be shaped primarily by each situation.
I would wonder if the anti-Mennonite Amish sentiment coming out of early charity had anything to do with it… to be fair, when I evaluate a CM church, the first question I’m asking is about NMB people. If they don’t have any or have had a few come and go…
There also seems to be considerably more seekers 30+ years older then me (in my 30s) who stayed with the conservative Mennonites making me wonder just how critical the internet is damaging our witness or lack there of. Hard to reach someone passively who is glued to their phone.
I'm pretty sure that sentiment had a lot to do with it. Anti-Hutterite (and anti-Amish for that matter) as well. But there were reasons for those sentiments. People grew up with bad experiences in those religious settings. My parents were some of them. As Amish teens they saw immorality, drugs, and other worse things tolerated by Amish parents as long as the youth settled down and joined the church later. This didn't produce a great spiritual environment, and it is no wonder many of them were influenced by evangelicalism in favor of what seemed like a deeper spirituality.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:32 am I don't know if the term "trophy" is right. Perhaps a "novelty" would be more correct?
"Novelty" would hold true in most cases probably.
Unfortunately "trophy" is accurate in too many instances.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:14 amI'm pretty sure that sentiment had a lot to do with it. Anti-Hutterite (and anti-Amish for that matter) as well. But there were reasons for those sentiments. People grew up with bad experiences in those religious settings. My parents were some of them. As Amish teens they saw immorality, drugs, and other worse things tolerated by Amish parents as long as the youth settled down and joined the church later. This didn't produce a great spiritual environment, and it is no wonder many of them were influenced by evangelicalism in favor of what seemed like a deeper spirituality.
I agree those thing are not good, but the overwhelming question in my mind is why evangelicalism is the answer to that. Evangelical settings have just as many problems (if not more) with things like immorality, drugs, and worse, with many church member turning a blind eye to it. Indeed, this kind of duplicity has caused some of my younger relatives who were raised in Hillsong to speak about Hillsong much as people do of the Amish: "Hillsong is a place where everyone engages in carnal sin - alcohol, sexual immorality, vaping, and worse - and thinks just because they are in Hillsong, that's what makes them a Christian". One of my young relatives joined a conservative (Amish-)Mennonite church because he was seeking greater spiritual life than he had found growing up in an evangelical setting.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

mike wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:29 am I've felt that NMB families are seen as trophies in some churches; back in the era of the "Charity churches" for instance.
More as an asides to this thread, when do you think the Charity franchise had its glory days? Mid-90's? Later than that? I transplanted in '95 and the Hope, EPMC and PMC people I worked with were almost half scared of the Charity movement. Perhaps I was just an impressionable teenager and took it wrong?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
mike

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:52 am
mike wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:29 am I've felt that NMB families are seen as trophies in some churches; back in the era of the "Charity churches" for instance.
More as an asides to this thread, when do you think the Charity franchise had its glory days? Mid-90's? Later than that? I transplanted in '95 and the Hope, EPMC and PMC people I worked with were almost half scared of the Charity movement. Perhaps I was just an impressionable teenager and took it wrong?
Probably mid to late 90s.
0 x