Divorce Myths

General Christian Theology
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Divorce Myths

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:38 pm Are you divorced and remarried?
He is otherwise he wouldn’t try to defend this so hard. While I don’t agree with his logic on pre conversion sin, I still am semi neutral on the “exception clause”
I don’t see any good coming from someone who regularly lies and refuses dialog outside of his sandbox
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

My own personal opinion is that people shouldn't be so quick to get married and also shouldn't be so quick to divorce.

While it might sometimes be necessary, most divorces leave vast wreckage in their wake, both in terms of families, and also in terms of finances. I don't know how many guys I have met who are miserably slaving away long after they should have retired, or moved onto a more rewarding career because they have child support, alimony, and are paying for 2 or 3 households. Or simply because they just blew up their finances in the process of divorce. And some of them are estranged from their own children due to an unnecessarily acrimonious divorce.

Lifelong partnerships are a good thing on a whole lot of levels. Spiritual, social, and financial. But it is the biggest and most consequential decision you will ever make in your life so take your time and really understand who you are and what you want in life before jumping into it.

I don't, however, think it is true that society pushes the myth that there are "good" divorces. Only that we all make mistakes and sometimes it is necessary.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
dontperish
Affiliation: Christian

Post by dontperish »

It is a very interesting topic ....

God allowed divorce ...Moses allowed divorce ...Jesus allowed divorce and so did Paul. It just must be biblical reasons today not like men in the OT.

But marriage permance is a lie as God allowed it and Jesus recognized a ladies 5 husbands proving that's so.

Early anabaptists like Menno did not teach what today's anabaptists do.

I have many articles on this topic here that covers every angle:
http://spiritandtruthdiscernment.blogsp ... rriage?m=1

God be praised
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

dontperish wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:36 pm It is a very interesting topic ....

God allowed divorce ...Moses allowed divorce ...Jesus allowed divorce and so did Paul. It just must be biblical reasons today not like men in the OT.

But marriage permance is a lie as God allowed it and Jesus recognized a ladies 5 husbands proving that's so.

Early anabaptists like Menno did not teach what today's anabaptists do.

I have many articles on this topic here that covers every angle:
http://spiritandtruthdiscernment.blogsp ... rriage?m=1

God be praised
dontperish,

That link mostly contained your opinions, not scriptures.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I find it interesting you condemn Anabaptists but then argue Menno Simons supports your argument which I disagree with.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat