General Christian Theology
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Re: Anabaptist woman flees colony

Post by Chris »

KirkDaniel wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:10 pm
Chris wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:17 pm
dontperish wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:48 pm
Please explain 1 Peter 3:1-6 Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, when they observe your chaste conduct accompanied by fear.

The scripture itself states for her to be submissive and to win the husband, not run from them.
And if they beat you to death in the meantime, or otherwise drive you into a mental health crisis, so be it. There is always heaven, and you will be rewarded for submission there.

:?
Being fancy, you literally just argued AGAINST the scripture.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Chris wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:31 pm

Please explain 1 Peter 3:1-6 Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, when they observe your chaste conduct accompanied by fear.

The scripture itself states for her to be submissive and to win the husband, not run from them.
And if they beat you to death in the meantime, or otherwise drive you into a mental health crisis, so be it. There is always heaven, and you will be rewarded for submission there.

I have a hard time accepting the concept that God wants us to tell a woman who is being beaten that God’s will is that she stays and continues be beat.
For one thing, it generally doesn’t just impact the woman alone…
Now if you want to argue the woman is the slave, then I suppose you could make that argument but that’s not exactly what I would call compassionate at all.
I don’t know for a fact that a wife should leave but I certainly am not willing to tell her not to.
2 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
dontperish
Affiliation: Christian

Post by dontperish »

Marriage permance is a lie ....

God always allowed divorce proving there is no spiritual bonding of a husband and wife ...it is a physical bond on earth nothing more.

Anabaptists make marriage into a mystical thing and it is not.

Jesus said there will be no marriage in heaven. It's a earthly covenant and it can be broken and taken up with another if for divorce happens on biblical reasons.

He is mighty to save

I teach on that all at my teaching blog ....
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Mat 19:5  And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Mat 19:6  Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
2 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
HeIsRisen
Affiliation: Apostolic

Post by HeIsRisen »

dontperish wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:45 pm God always allowed divorce proving there is no spiritual bonding of a husband and wife ...it is a physical bond on earth nothing more.
This is false.

Matthew 19:8 - He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

The marriage covenant has been here since the foundation of the world.

Verse 9: And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Breaking of the covenant is a sin. He desires an unbroken covenant.
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

dontperish,

Are you divorced and remarried? If so, under what grounds did you get divorced?
0 x
KirkDaniel
Affiliation:

Post by KirkDaniel »

I have yet to see Scripture that tells a woman to stay with a husband who abuses her. It is a perversion of the Word that would have such a thing.
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

Soloist wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:36 pm

I have a hard time accepting the concept that God wants us to tell a woman who is being beaten that God’s will is that she stays and continues be beat.
For one thing, it generally doesn’t just impact the woman alone…
Now if you want to argue the woman is the slave, then I suppose you could make that argument but that’s not exactly what I would call compassionate at all.
I don’t know for a fact that a wife should leave but I certainly am not willing to tell her not to.
Where did a woman being beaten come into this?

Look most women who leave aren't beaten. Most divorces are over money. Let's entertain beaten in another thread. To infuse this outrageous hypothetical into this argument of scripture is not only fair, but distorts the point of the scripture.

This is about a Hutterite woman who could have stayed with her husband and the scripture is being ignored.
Last edited by Chris on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

KirkDaniel wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:57 pm

I have yet to see Scripture that tells a woman to stay with a husband who abuses her. It is a perversion of the Word that would have such a thing.
This is about Hutterite woman. Not about a woman being beaten to death. The hypothetical distorts the basis of the scripture itself to give rationale to a woman leaving.

She could have stayed with her husband as the Bible commands.

The beaten point is just fancy demagoging to ameliorate the unbridled feminism indoctrinated into our brainwashed society. Totally out of this equation.
0 x
KirkDaniel
Affiliation:

Post by KirkDaniel »

Chris wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:02 pm
KirkDaniel wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:57 pm

This is about Hutterite woman. Not about a woman being beaten to death. The hypothetical distorts the basis of the scripture itself to give rationale to a woman leaving.

She could have stayed with her husband as the Bible commands.

The beaten point is just fancy demagoging to ameliorate the unbridled feminism indoctrinated into our brainwashed society. Totally out of this equation.
I am answering the spirit behind these arguments, which abuses Scripture to make women subservient and little more than chattel to men. There is precious plenty of that in the conservative Anabaptist churches. Whether or not this woman had cause our not doesn't detract one iota from my statement.

I am not the demagog. The ungodly patriarchy that is bent on unbridled pride and ownership of women is. I've seen the fruits of it. It is nasty and rotten to the core. God is witness, and He will judge accordingly.
0 x