General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The ten commandments - I'd rather not use them this way

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:39 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:18 am
Outsider wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:10 am

It seems to me that politics- both sides of the aisle- seem to encourage mercilessness.

If you question the righteousness of “putting pedos through a wood chipper” you’re accused of advocating for the crime, or being one. And I don’t want anyone put through a wood chipper. But, equally, I can understand someone murdering a person who had harmed their child. As I’ve said before, I believe you should “neutralize the threat”, but use no more force than necessary to render the perpetuator harmless. I think anything more creates a merciless and unjust society..
I would support more humane methods of dealing with such people, such as a firing squad, lethal injection, or pushing them off a building.
I can't imagine that Jesus would have supported such things.
He said it would be preferable to be drowned to death than to face his eventual righteous judgment.
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:00 pm

I would support more humane methods of dealing with such people, such as a firing squad, lethal injection, or pushing them off a building.
He said it would be preferable to be drowned to death than to face his eventual righteous judgment.
How is that relevant? Would pushing a person off a building somehow save them from God's righteous judgement?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Outsider wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:10 am

It seems to me that politics- both sides of the aisle- seem to encourage mercilessness.

If you question the righteousness of “putting pedos through a wood chipper” you’re accused of advocating for the crime, or being one. And I don’t want anyone put through a wood chipper. But, equally, I can understand someone murdering a person who had harmed their child. As I’ve said before, I believe you should “neutralize the threat”, but use no more force than necessary to render the perpetuator harmless. I think anything more creates a merciless and unjust society..
Luke 17:2:

17 Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!

2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Valerie wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:14 pm

17 Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!

2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
So what do you think that means in this context?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:22 pm

So what do you think that means in this context?
His punishment will be worse than that it seems. I was just thinking what Josh said doesn't seem too far from the thought of what Jesus was conveying
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Agreed. Jesus did not always employ happy clappy parables; he spoke clearly regarding rough reality.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

I notice Jesus didn't stone the woman caught in adultery.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:07 pm I notice Jesus didn't stone the woman caught in adultery.
You have to try and understand each and every parable and situation he was teaching about.
Do you forget who comes as a warrior in Revelation?
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:13 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:07 pm I notice Jesus didn't stone the woman caught in adultery.
You have to try and understand each and every parable and situation he was teaching about.
Exactly. God says HE will take care of vengeance for sin, and that it's not his childrens' job to try to punish sin, or to execute people or push them off of houses. Nowhere does Jesus advocate for his followers to kill people.
2 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:16 pm
Valerie wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:13 pm
Exactly. God says HE will take care of vengeance for sin, and that it's not his childrens' job to try to punish sin, or to execute people or push them off of houses. Nowhere does Jesus advocate for his followers to kill people.
I think you misunderstood Josh?
But Jesus is coming back with an army.
Also government was to use the sword- He was using man to execute judgement.
0 x