MentorLink Leaders' Covenant

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: MentorLink Leaders' Covenant

Post by Bootstrap »

lesterb wrote:A lot of good thoughts in this thread. To bad nobody kept a copy of the original part of it.
I have a copy, so does Josh.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:
silentreader wrote:Christian men and Christian women mostly have different roles, responsibilities, and strengths in the work of the church and in the Christian home and family. Notice that in the Titus passage quoted above, men and women are explicitly addressed separately concerning their gender specific responsibilities. In other cases where there is no need for gender specificity they are both addressed as mankind or humankind.
There are, of course, cases where it's not clear whether the Greek means "men" or "people", and you have to interpret.
MaxPC wrote:Before the inclusive language trend, "men" or "man" were also used as a collective nouns to refer to the both genders. Latin derived languages tend to default to the male noun as a collective; Germanic languages tend to use the prefix "ge-" to signify a collective.
You mean in nouns like Gebirge or Gepäck? I'm trying to think of a collective noun for men and women in German that starts with this prefix, and I'm coming up blank. What collective nouns were you thinking of?
Gemeinde, perhaps, although it possibly refers to a different type of inclusiveness.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote:Gemeinde, perhaps, although it possibly refers to a different type of inclusiveness.
That's a good one. Or Geschwister ... but again, neither has anything to do with this particular passage, or the interpretation questions we are discussing.
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

temporal1 wrote:
silentreader wrote:
5. I WILL DEVELOP LEADERS
One of Jesus’ top priorities was to develop leaders. He did not mass-produce leaders but intentionally focused on a small number of them. I affirm that developing leaders as Jesus did calls me to build close, personal relationships with promising men and women, and to invest time in mentoring them. I affirm that the heart cry from many younger leaders around the world is for a spiritual mentor. I also acknowledge my calling to equip saints for ministry and to release them to serve as the Holy Spirit directs. I am aware that many leaders ignore this priority. I ask for grace and insight to intentionally equip saints and strengthen the hearts and lives of younger leaders.
(Matt. 4:18-22; Matt. 28:16-20; Luke 6:12-16; John 17:6-19; Acts 11:22-26; Acts 15:39-16:5; Eph. 4:11- 16; Phil. 2:19-30; 2 Timothy)
We have looked at some things that relate to 'I will develop/mentor/invest in those who are potential leaders', the Pastoral Epistles, 2 Timothy in this example, perhaps focus a little more on 'I will develop/ mentor those who are already leaders', although the Pastoral Epistles can be applied at different levels.
2 Timothy 1English Standard Version (ESV)
Greeting
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God according to the promise of the life that is in Christ Jesus,
2 To Timothy, my beloved child:
Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
3 I thank God whom I serve, as did my ancestors, with a clear conscience, as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. 4 As I remember your tears, I long to see you, that I may be filled with joy. 5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. 6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, 7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, 9 who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, 10 and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11 for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, 12 which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me. 13 Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 14 By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.
15 You are aware that all who are in Asia turned away from me, among whom are Phygelus and Hermogenes. 16 May the Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, for he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains, 17 but when he arrived in Rome he searched for me earnestly and found me— 18 may the Lord grant him to find mercy from the Lord on that day!—and you well know all the service he rendered at Ephesus.
The initial interesting thing for me, is that Paul, in his opening address in 1&2 Timothy and in Titus, says, "grace, mercy, and peace, from..." whereas in all the other epistles he begins, "grace to you and peace from..."
Does this have theological significance? I'm not sure. Perhaps Paul's perspective had changed slightly with time, perhaps he was more aware of everyone's need for mercy.
The Pastoral Epistles were addressed to individuals, the other epistles except for Philemon, were addressed to a group, I don't know if that made a difference.
Maybe it was a case of him feeling that pastors needed an extra dose of mercy from God perhaps because of their extra responsibility and accountability as undershepherds of the flock. I believe it was Charles Spurgeon who said that was the case.
Are we always willing to extend mercy to our pastors? Perhaps it is an area in which we could grow?

We see also mention made of the influence of Godly women in Timothy's life, his mother's and grandmother's faith being instrumental in his development.
We feel perhaps a sense that Timothy's responsibilities and the reality of Paul's circumstances were weighing Timothy down, and that he especially needed encouragement at this time.
I think Paul not only loved him like a son, but also seemed to feel responsible for Timothy, recognizing that he himself would probably not be around much longer to give encouragement.

When Paul wrote 2 Timothy his situation had probably changed radically from when he wrote the previous prison epistles such as Ephesians.

He was no longer under close house arrest but was probably now in the Mamertine dungeon from which the chances of release were slim.

What is bright and shining here is that Paul did not spend a lot of time dwelling on his own situation, but was more concerned about the spiritual well being of Timothy.

Another application for me.
Even in dire straits a true Christian can and should be an encouragement and source of strength for other Christians. Even from a dead-end prison cell, I need to be useful in mentoring others.

I'll try to develop this in more detail as time allows.
This interests me. No "victim mentality," so prevalent today, while ignoring these important scriptural accounts that demand-nothing to elevate one's spiritual being.

This is not of human design!
Only God could create and offer this, as you say, faith, hope, salvation, in the most dire circumstances.

(don't let me interrupt) ..
temp, you're not interrupting, you're encouraging.
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

silentreader wrote:
One of Jesus’ top priorities was to develop leaders. He did not mass-produce leaders but intentionally focused on a small number of them. I affirm that developing leaders as Jesus did calls me to build close, personal relationships with promising men and women, and to invest time in mentoring them. I affirm that the heart cry from many younger leaders around the world is for a spiritual mentor. I also acknowledge my calling to equip saints for ministry and to release them to serve as the Holy Spirit directs. I am aware that many leaders ignore this priority. I ask for grace and insight to intentionally equip saints and strengthen the hearts and lives of younger leaders.
(Matt. 4:18-22; Matt. 28:16-20; Luke 6:12-16; John 17:6-19; Acts 11:22-26; Acts 15:39-16:5; Eph. 4:11- 16; Phil. 2:19-30; 2 Timothy)
We have looked at some things that relate to 'I will develop/mentor/invest in those who are potential leaders', the Pastoral Epistles, 2 Timothy in this example, perhaps focus a little more on 'I will develop/ mentor those who are already leaders', although the Pastoral Epistles can be applied at different levels.
Greeting
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God according to the promise of the life that is in Christ Jesus,
3 I thank God whom I serve, as did my ancestors, with a clear conscience, as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. 4 As I remember your tears, I long to see you, that I may be filled with joy. 5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. 6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, 7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, 9 who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, 10 and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11 for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, 12 which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me. 13 Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 14 By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.
15 You are aware that all who are in Asia turned away from me, among whom are Phygelus and Hermogenes. 16 May the Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, for he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains, 17 but when he arrived in Rome he searched for me earnestly and found me— 18 may the Lord grant him to find mercy from the Lord on that day!—and you well know all the service he rendered at Ephesus.
Sorry, just one thought to-night that I've been mulling over for a few days, (I'm having a bout of sinusitis and sometimes it feels like my forehead is coming off, thinking is somewhat laborious at those times).
Considering vs1&2, in v1 we see Paul presenting or possibly asserting his authority as an apostle, perhaps reminding Timothy that he, Paul, has the right to say the things he is about to say. But in v2 he addresses Timothy as, 'my beloved child'.
Outstanding to me is the delicate balance between authority and intimacy between mentor and mentee.
There needs to be authority, recognized as legitimate when it is legitimate, but there also needs to be tender Christian love with the eternal good of the mentee at heart.
How well would I handle that?
Could I gently be aware of and practice my authority in a mentor situation, without losing sight of the need for Christian love?
Or would I say, "Hey, listen to me?
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

silentreader wrote:
silentreader wrote:
Greeting
Sorry, just one thought to-night that I've been mulling over for a few days, (I'm having a bout of sinusitis and sometimes it feels like my forehead is coming off, thinking is somewhat laborious at those times).
Considering vs1&2, in v1 we see Paul presenting or possibly asserting his authority as an apostle, perhaps reminding Timothy that he, Paul, has the right to say the things he is about to say. But in v2 he addresses Timothy as, 'my beloved child'.
Outstanding to me is the delicate balance between authority and intimacy between mentor and mentee.
There needs to be authority, recognized as legitimate when it is legitimate, but there also needs to be tender Christian love with the eternal good of the mentee at heart.
How well would I handle that?
Could I gently be aware of and practice my authority in a mentor situation, without losing sight of the need for Christian love?
Or would I say, "Hey, listen to me?
A few further thoughts on 2 Timothy 1.

It seems Timothy needed encouragement, exactly why he had come to this is unclear, to me at least. Possibly some of it was due to the duress of his own responsibility, probably some of it was due to the situation his beloved mentor, Paul was in.
How does the mentor, Paul, deal with this?
He reminds Timothy that he is in Paul's prayers by night and by day. This despite Paul's own dead-end predicament. Could I do that as a mentor?
Paul, the mentor, also expresses confidence in Timothy's genuine faith, despite what a pessimist might consider evidence to the contrary. Can I believe the best about the one I may be mentoring, even though he may be undergoing difficulties?
Paul reminds Timothy that as we serve God faithfully God does not expect us to be timid and fearful but gives us a spirit of power, love, and self-control. Gentle reminder, is that within my capability as a mentor?
Paul counsels Timothy to not be ashamed of testimony about his Lord, or of Paul's situation, but encourages him to be willing to share in the suffering that sometimes follows faithfulness. Am I willing to lay aside ease and counsel my mentee to do the same, following my example?
Paul says "But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed..." and then, ..."Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me..." Do I have enough confidence that my own teaching and walk is enough in line with the truth of God's Word that I can unreservedly say, You can imitate me as I imitate Christ?

I'm seeing that my own spiritual condition is a critical factor in my effectiveness as a mentor.
So now I have to decide, should I examine myself more stringently? Or should I give up the idea of being a mentor?
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

6. I WILL SEEK HIS FACE
Our Lord esteems and honors those who walk in humility and dependence on him and who seek his face in fellowship and communion. Jesus gave us a pattern of regularly spending time alone with the Father to seek his heart and commune with him in prayer. He did this even in the midst of many demands, pressures and even harsh circumstances. Following Jesus’ model, I want to seek him regularly in personal communion and prayer. I know this will please him and enable me to more align myself with him, his ways and his will. I also want to live within my human limits by taking regular times of rest (Sabbath) to restore my soul. I know this will mean withdrawing from the pressures of my world for periods of time. My heart is to serve him in faithfulness all my days until he takes me home or returns in his glory. By his grace I want to seek his face.

(Isa. 66:1-2; Matt. 14:23; Matt. 26:36-39; Mark 1:35-39; Luke 4:42-43; Luke 5:16; Phil. 4:5-7; 1 Peter 5:6-8)
Boot, if you would be so kind as to do the link thing.
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

silentreader wrote:
6. I WILL SEEK HIS FACE
Our Lord esteems and honors those who walk in humility and dependence on him and who seek his face in fellowship and communion. Jesus gave us a pattern of regularly spending time alone with the Father to seek his heart and commune with him in prayer. He did this even in the midst of many demands, pressures and even harsh circumstances. Following Jesus’ model, I want to seek him regularly in personal communion and prayer. I know this will please him and enable me to more align myself with him, his ways and his will. I also want to live within my human limits by taking regular times of rest (Sabbath) to restore my soul. I know this will mean withdrawing from the pressures of my world for periods of time. My heart is to serve him in faithfulness all my days until he takes me home or returns in his glory. By his grace I want to seek his face.

(Isa. 66:1-2; Matt. 14:23; Matt. 26:36-39; Mark 1:35-39; Luke 4:42-43; Luke 5:16; Phil. 4:5-7; 1 Peter 5:6-8)
Isaiah 66:1-4 (HCSB)
66 This is what the Lord says:
Heaven is My throne,
and earth is My footstool.
What house could you possibly build for Me?
And what place could be My home?

My hand made all these things,
and so they all came into being.
This is the Lord’s declaration.
I will look favorably on this kind of person:
one who is humble, submissive[a] in spirit,
and trembles at My word.

One slaughters an ox, one kills a man;
one sacrifices a lamb, one breaks a dog’s neck;
one offers a grain offering, one offers pig’s blood;
one offers incense, one praises an idol—
all these have chosen their ways
and delight in their detestable practices.

So I will choose their punishment,
and I will bring on them what they dread
because I called and no one answered;
I spoke and they didn’t hear;
they did what was evil in My sight
and chose what I didn’t delight in.

I'd like to look at something that I think hinders us from seeking His face, and also causes Him to turn His face from us.
I'm going to call it 'religion'.
Note v3&4 above.
Note also
Amos 5:21-24Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
I hate, I despise your feasts!
I can’t stand the stench
of your solemn assemblies.
Even if you offer Me
your burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them;
I will have no regard
for your fellowship offerings of fattened cattle.
Take away from Me the noise of your songs!
I will not listen to the music of your harps.
But let justice flow like water,
and righteousness, like an unfailing stream.
Note also
Hosea 6:6Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

For I desire loyalty and not sacrifice,
the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.
I marvel at how God gave Israel detailed instruction for their religious service, I marvel at how Israel subverted that service, and how while still obeying the letter of the law, had turned it into something that was far from the spiritual purpose, and how it became something that God hated.
It was not the law or God's instructions that were at fault, but rather that the outward actions and the condition of the heart did not correspond. By Jesus' time, as we see in His interactions with the Pharisees, religious hypocrisy while obeying the law was a serious problem.
Hypocrisy is one of the sure things that makes God turn away from us.

But that's not us? I'm not so sure.

I'm not talking here about church standards or any man-made rules. I'm talking about God's clear direction and how we can twist it, subtly or not, into something that God did not intend. I'm talking about how we 'do religion', is it a form of godliness, or is it 'seeking His face'?

The point I'm trying to make, albeit poorly, probably, is that if I have a problem seeking His face, then there is a hindrance, instigated by me, that I need to discern and deal with. And religious hypocrisy may be one of the most difficult hindrances for me to discern and admit, but one of the most dangerous.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote:Boot, if you would be so kind as to do the link thing.
Certainly! And thanks for keeping this moving along. I really like this section. Just click on the link below to see the list of verses.
6. I WILL SEEK HIS FACE

0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote:Boot, if you would be so kind as to do the link thing.
Certainly! And thanks for keeping this moving along. I really like this section. Just click on the link below to see the list of verses.
6. I WILL SEEK HIS FACE

0 x