MentorLink Leaders' Covenant

General Christian Theology
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

MentorLink Leaders' Covenant

Post by silentreader »

I don't know if any one else is interested, but I would like to continue this as time allows, even if it is only for my benefit.
5. I WILL DEVELOP LEADERS
One of Jesus’ top priorities was to develop leaders. He did not mass-produce leaders but intentionally focused on a small number of them. I affirm that developing leaders as Jesus did calls me to build close, personal relationships with promising men and women, and to invest time in mentoring them. I affirm that the heart cry from many younger leaders around the world is for a spiritual mentor. I also acknowledge my calling to equip saints for ministry and to release them to serve as the Holy Spirit directs. I am aware that many leaders ignore this priority. I ask for grace and insight to intentionally equip saints and strengthen the hearts and lives of younger leaders.
(Matt. 4:18-22; Matt. 28:16-20; Luke 6:12-16; John 17:6-19; Acts 11:22-26; Acts 15:39-16:5; Eph. 4:11- 16; Phil. 2:19-30; 2 Timothy)
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: MentorLink Leaders' Covenant

Post by MaxPC »

I'm interested and find it worthwhile.
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

silentreader wrote:I don't know if any one else is interested, but I would like to continue this as time allows, even if it is only for my benefit.
One of Jesus’ top priorities was to develop leaders. He did not mass-produce leaders but intentionally focused on a small number of them. I affirm that developing leaders as Jesus did calls me to build close, personal relationships with promising men and women, and to invest time in mentoring them. I affirm that the heart cry from many younger leaders around the world is for a spiritual mentor. I also acknowledge my calling to equip saints for ministry and to release them to serve as the Holy Spirit directs. I am aware that many leaders ignore this priority. I ask for grace and insight to intentionally equip saints and strengthen the hearts and lives of younger leaders.
(Matt. 4:18-22; Matt. 28:16-20; Luke 6:12-16; John 17:6-19; Acts 11:22-26; Acts 15:39-16:5; Eph. 4:11- 16; Phil. 2:19-30; 2 Timothy)
As an initial thought I'd like to suggest concerning the underlined, that Jesus' priority in that regard was to develop people who could be leaders, not their abilities, but their openness to His Spirit and guiding Presence.
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

In my mind there are two separate but conjoined ideas here; that I will develop/mentor leaders (who are already leaders), and that I will develop/mentor potential leaders. One of the things I see in Scripture is that a person must be a follower of Christ before they can become a spiritual leader.
In the Matthew 4:18-22 passage, for instance, Jesus says to those whom He called, "Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men". This order, in my mind, is non-negotiable. One must be a disciple before one can become an apostle.
In Jesus' statement above, there may or may not have been a promised position of leadership. I don't think there was, necessarily. Rather it pointed towards a period of preparation under the Master Teacher.
The NT usage of disciple (mathetes) is interesting. I have always thought of it as 'follower'. More correctly it refers to a learner or a pupil. In NT usage it apparently quite often refers to "An adherent who accepts the instruction given to him and makes it his rule of conduct." (From 'Lexical Aids to the New Testament' by Spiros Zodhiates). This is how followers of Jesus need to be developed into leaders.
The other necessary part of the equation for developing leaders is in the underlined above. The Holy Spirit must be involved. At no time may it be a personal agenda. I was thinking about Peter for instance. During Jesus' lifetime Peter was in many ways a leader. But it was not until the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost that he became a true leader.
Comments and corrections are welcomed.
I want to possibly in the future look further at Eph. 4:11-16 as well as 2 Timothy.
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

silentreader wrote:
In my mind there are two separate but conjoined ideas here; that I will develop/mentor leaders (who are already leaders), and that I will develop/mentor potential leaders. One of the things I see in Scripture is that a person must be a follower of Christ before they can become a spiritual leader.
In the Matthew 4:18-22 passage, for instance, Jesus says to those whom He called, "Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men". This order, in my mind, is non-negotiable. One must be a disciple before one can become an apostle.
In Jesus' statement above, there may or may not have been a promised position of leadership. I don't think there was, necessarily. Rather it pointed towards a period of preparation under the Master Teacher.
The NT usage of disciple (mathetes) is interesting. I have always thought of it as 'follower'. More correctly it refers to a learner or a pupil. In NT usage it apparently quite often refers to "An adherent who accepts the instruction given to him and makes it his rule of conduct." (From 'Lexical Aids to the New Testament' by Spiros Zodhiates). This is how followers of Jesus need to be developed into leaders.
The other necessary part of the equation for developing leaders is in the underlined above. The Holy Spirit must be involved. At no time may it be a personal agenda. I was thinking about Peter for instance. During Jesus' lifetime Peter was in many ways a leader. But it was not until the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost that he became a true leader.
I want to possibly in the future look further at Eph. 4:11-16 as well as 2 Timothy.
I neglected to mention the point of my rambling was that in order for me to be an effective 'developer' there are some Scriptural principles I need to apply.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

silentreader wrote:
silentreader wrote:
I neglected to mention the point of my rambling was that in order for me to be an effective 'developer' there are some Scriptural principles I need to apply.
I enjoy your thoughts on this. I've often considered it important to teach our sons Christian leadership qualities to help them be prepared to serve the Lord in whatever vocation He calls them to serve, be it husband and father or in ministry, or both.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

silentreader,
i believe this topic to be of the most important ever on MD or MN.
i'm reading with interest.
it is a topic in discussion all around the world, people are sincerely seeking godly leadership.

forgive my ignorance. :oops:
will you share the source for your OP reference?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

temporal1 wrote:silentreader,
i believe this topic to be of the most important ever on MD or MN.
i'm reading with interest.
it is a topic in discussion all around the world, people are sincerely seeking godly leadership.

forgive my ignorance. :oops:
will you share the source for your OP reference?
Sorry I don't have a link for you at the moment but I believe it can be found fairly easily by googling it as it is in the title. I believe it is something created by the Lausanne Movement, which is also readily googled. There were a few other things stated by the Lausanne Movement that I thought would be interesting to explore at a later date. I would have to check them again, possibly they might be too 'Reformed' for MN.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Here is the Mentorlink Leader's Covenant.

I agree, it's really great!
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:Here is the Mentorlink Leader's Covenant.

I agree, it's really great!
Thanks Boot, I guess we overlapped. It's good to see you back :clap: But be careful with the graphs :mrgreen:
0 x