General Christian Theology
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: MentorLink Leaders' Covenant

Post by silentreader »

MaxPC wrote:
silentreader wrote:
silentreader wrote:
In my mind there are two separate but conjoined ideas here; that I will develop/mentor leaders (who are already leaders), and that I will develop/mentor potential leaders. One of the things I see in Scripture is that a person must be a follower of Christ before they can become a spiritual leader.
In the Matthew 4:18-22 passage, for instance, Jesus says to those whom He called, "Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men". This order, in my mind, is non-negotiable. One must be a disciple before one can become an apostle.
In Jesus' statement above, there may or may not have been a promised position of leadership. I don't think there was, necessarily. Rather it pointed towards a period of preparation under the Master Teacher.
The NT usage of disciple (mathetes) is interesting. I have always thought of it as 'follower'. More correctly it refers to a learner or a pupil. In NT usage it apparently quite often refers to "An adherent who accepts the instruction given to him and makes it his rule of conduct." (From 'Lexical Aids to the New Testament' by Spiros Zodhiates). This is how followers of Jesus need to be developed into leaders.
The other necessary part of the equation for developing leaders is in the underlined above. The Holy Spirit must be involved. At no time may it be a personal agenda. I was thinking about Peter for instance. During Jesus' lifetime Peter was in many ways a leader. But it was not until the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost that he became a true leader.
Comments and corrections are welcomed.
I want to possibly in the future look further at Eph. 4:11-16 as well as 2 Timothy.
I neglected to mention the point of my rambling was that in order for me to be an effective 'developer' there are some Scriptural principles I need to apply.
I enjoy your thoughts on this. I've often considered it important to teach our sons Christian leadership qualities to help them be prepared to serve the Lord in whatever vocation He calls them to serve, be it husband and father or in ministry, or both.
I agree Max, but when you consider the criteria that MentorLink uses for 'leaders' it is equally important that our daughters are mentored in a similar way to prepare them for what God has in store for them, even if it is 'only' to be the wife of a leader.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote:I don't know if any one else is interested, but I would like to continue this as time allows, even if it is only for my benefit.
5. I WILL DEVELOP LEADERS
One of Jesus’ top priorities was to develop leaders. He did not mass-produce leaders but intentionally focused on a small number of them. I affirm that developing leaders as Jesus did calls me to build close, personal relationships with promising men and women, and to invest time in mentoring them. I affirm that the heart cry from many younger leaders around the world is for a spiritual mentor. I also acknowledge my calling to equip saints for ministry and to release them to serve as the Holy Spirit directs. I am aware that many leaders ignore this priority. I ask for grace and insight to intentionally equip saints and strengthen the hearts and lives of younger leaders.
(Matt. 4:18-22; Matt. 28:16-20; Luke 6:12-16; John 17:6-19; Acts 11:22-26; Acts 15:39-16:5; Eph. 4:11- 16; Phil. 2:19-30; 2 Timothy)
Clicking on the above link displays all of these texts. I find that a convenient way to get an overview. You can easily see the entire chapter or choose a different translation for a given text, too.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

silentreader wrote: I agree Max, but when you consider the criteria that MentorLink uses for 'leaders' it is equally important that our daughters are mentored in a similar way to prepare them for what God has in store for them, even if it is 'only' to be the wife of a leader.
In our family, that's DWs department :lol:
She did a very fine job too ;)
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

MaxPC wrote:
silentreader wrote: I agree Max, but when you consider the criteria that MentorLink uses for 'leaders' it is equally important that our daughters are mentored in a similar way to prepare them for what God has in store for them, even if it is 'only' to be the wife of a leader.
In our family, that's DWs department :lol:
She did a very fine job too ;)
That's fair enough. So from that we can extrapolate that daughters should be mentored so that they can become mentors to their own daughters when the time comes.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

silentreader wrote: That's fair enough. So from that we can extrapolate that daughters should be mentored so that they can become mentors to their own daughters when the time comes.
Exactly. ;)
[bible]Titus 2, 1-15[/bible]
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

MaxPC wrote:
silentreader wrote: That's fair enough. So from that we can extrapolate that daughters should be mentored so that they can become mentors to their own daughters when the time comes.
Exactly. ;)
[bible]Titus 2, 1-15[/bible]
Yes, good Scripture for that, I hadn't thought of that one.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

wondering. bit of a bunny trail.
is it a post-industrial age thing that women must be directly spoken to when topics like this come up? .. when scriptures include females, and children, under, and in order, of the word, "man/mankind?"

(for me) this inclusion naturally occurs in scriptures ..
it seems, possibly radically since the 1970's (?) .. a sensibility has been acquired that women must be addressed specifically, when that was not the case prior (?)

for instance. my parents.
when scriptures spoke directly to men, my mother wouldn't have dreamed of feeling left out, or not responsible, to those same "edicts," simply because women were not specifically named.

if this is a change in understanding/response, is it healthy?
or, is it subtley divisive? .. what is God's Will, not ours?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

temporal1 wrote:wondering. bit of a bunny trail.
is it a post-industrial age thing that women must be directly spoken to when topics like this come up? .. when scriptures include females, and children, under, and in order, of the word, "man/mankind?"

it seems, possibly radically since the 1970's (?) .. a sensibility has been acquired that women must be addressed specifically, when that was not the case prior (?)

when scriptures spoke directly to men, my mother wouldn't have dreamed of feeling left out, or not responsible, to those same "edicts," simply because women were not specifically named.

I guess I'm not completely sure that there has been a change although perhaps I'm not completely understanding your concern. Christian men and Christian women mostly have different roles, responsibilities, and strengths in the work of the church and in the Christian home and family. Notice that in the Titus passage quoted above, men and women are explicitly addressed separately concerning their gender specific responsibilities. In other cases where there is no need for gender specificity they are both addressed as mankind or humankind.
I'm not sure if that answers your question?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

silentreader wrote:
temporal1 wrote:wondering. bit of a bunny trail.

I guess I'm not completely sure that there has been a change although perhaps I'm not completely understanding your concern.

Christian men and Christian women mostly have different roles, responsibilities, and strengths in the work of the church and in the Christian home and family.

Notice that in the Titus passage quoted above, men and women are explicitly addressed separately concerning their gender specific responsibilities.

In other cases where there is no need for gender specificity they are both addressed as mankind or humankind.
I'm not sure if that answers your question?
thank you for trying. :)
i'm afraid i'm not describing my thoughts very well. i need to do some more thinking on it.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Women's liberation movement influenced the pressure to use inclusive language and now the pendulum has begun to swing back in the other direction.

At the end of the day, some strain at gnats and miss the bigger lesson or goal. Others keep the bigger goal in mind and lose sight of the important details. Different people focus on different aspects which is why we need each other: we need to be open to the balance of skills in any group.

Just some rambling thoughts :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)