MentorLink Leaders' Covenant

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: MentorLink Leaders' Covenant

Post by MaxPC »

Praying for your wife to quickly heal, SR.
:pray :pray
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

9. I WILL FAITHFULLY STEWARD MONEY
Jesus and the Apostles regularly had others steward money entrusted to them. They taught and modeled stewardship and operated above reproach in the sight of God and people. I grieve that some leaders take financial advantage of people or fail to seek financial accountability of other godly leaders for funds given to the ministry. I acknowledge that the love of money corrupts and distorts a leader’s ability to serve Jesus’ kingdom and causes many leaders to fail the test of godliness. I also acknowledge that leaders need to support their families and can rightly expect support from those they serve. I humbly ask for grace to walk above reproach before God and people with the finances entrusted to me.
(Matt. 6:25-34; Luke 16:14-15; Acts 4:32-5:11; Acts 6:1-7; Acts 20:25-35; 1 Cor. 9:1-18; 2 Cor. 8:16-22; 1 Tim. 6:9-11; 1 Peter 5:2-3; Jude 11- 12)
One of the things that has made me hesitant about posting on this article is the word 'steward'.
Any posting I do will be coloured by my understanding of how Scripture uses the term 'steward'.
I believe that Scripturally a good steward is not one who is faithful in looking after his own things, he is one who is faithful in looking after his master's things which his master has put into his care.
He is not looking after things his master has given to him for himself, but is looking after things the master has given to be used only for the master's work, purpose, and benefit, and will ultimately remain the master's things.
This 'definition' will decide how I look at "Faithfully Stewarding Money".
Am I making a mistake in my understanding?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

silentreader wrote:
Jesus and the Apostles regularly had others steward money entrusted to them. They taught and modeled stewardship and operated above reproach in the sight of God and people. I grieve that some leaders take financial advantage of people or fail to seek financial accountability of other godly leaders for funds given to the ministry. I acknowledge that the love of money corrupts and distorts a leader’s ability to serve Jesus’ kingdom and causes many leaders to fail the test of godliness. I also acknowledge that leaders need to support their families and can rightly expect support from those they serve. I humbly ask for grace to walk above reproach before God and people with the finances entrusted to me.
(Matt. 6:25-34; Luke 16:14-15; Acts 4:32-5:11; Acts 6:1-7; Acts 20:25-35; 1 Cor. 9:1-18; 2 Cor. 8:16-22; 1 Tim. 6:9-11; 1 Peter 5:2-3; Jude 11- 12)
One of the things that has made me hesitant about posting on this article is the word 'steward'.
Any posting I do will be coloured by my understanding of how Scripture uses the term 'steward'.
I believe that Scripturally a good steward is not one who is faithful in looking after his own things, he is one who is faithful in looking after his master's things which his master has put into his care.
He is not looking after things his master has given to him for himself, but is looking after things the master has given to be used only for the master's work, purpose, and benefit, and will ultimately remain the master's things.
Not at all, as far as I understand it.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote:He is not looking after things his master has given to him for himself, but is looking after things the master has given to be used only for the master's work, purpose, and benefit, and will ultimately remain the master's things.
No, but is the Mentorlink section? My initial reading suggests both of you have this right in the same way. Maybe you aren't using the same language ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:
silentreader wrote:He is not looking after things his master has given to him for himself, but is looking after things the master has given to be used only for the master's work, purpose, and benefit, and will ultimately remain the master's things.
No, but is the Mentorlink section? My initial reading suggests both of you have this right in the same way. Maybe you aren't using the same language ...
I wasn't as much comparing my understanding with the Mentorlink section as I was with how we often speak of 'good stewardship' in our own circles, seemingly in my mind believing that godly stewardship involves looking after our own things, whether possessions, family, etc. which I don't think that Scripture is talking about when it refers to stewardship. Perhaps this is a regional view, or perhaps I am misreading the opinions of others.
In order to fruitfully consider the Mentorlink section, I believe we need to be clear about what we consider to be Scriptural stewardship.
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

silentreader wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
I wasn't as much comparing my understanding with the Mentorlink section as I was with how we often speak of 'good stewardship' in our own circles, seemingly in my mind believing that godly stewardship involves looking after our own things, whether possessions, family, etc. which I don't think that Scripture is talking about when it refers to stewardship. Perhaps this is a regional view, or perhaps I am misreading the opinions of others.
In order to fruitfully consider the Mentorlink section, I believe we need to be clear about what we consider to be Scriptural stewardship.
I'm sorry, I should clarify that I'm not against referring to looking after our 'own' as good stewardship, as long as we understand that is not the Biblical usage.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote:I wasn't as much comparing my understanding with the Mentorlink section as I was with how we often speak of 'good stewardship' in our own circles, seemingly in my mind believing that godly stewardship involves looking after our own things, whether possessions, family, etc. which I don't think that Scripture is talking about when it refers to stewardship.
This is the Scripture many cite:
The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops? And it would be poor stewardship to give it all away or let it rot.’ And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you are just being a good steward of all God has given to you.”’
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:
silentreader wrote:I wasn't as much comparing my understanding with the Mentorlink section as I was with how we often speak of 'good stewardship' in our own circles, seemingly in my mind believing that godly stewardship involves looking after our own things, whether possessions, family, etc. which I don't think that Scripture is talking about when it refers to stewardship.
This is the Scripture many cite:
The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops? And it would be poor stewardship to give it all away or let it rot.’ And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you are just being a good steward of all God has given to you.”’
But then they should ask, "Did God's response show approval of the rich man's reasoning?"
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote:
Here it is with a link to all texts to make it easier to read.
silentreader wrote:But then they should ask, "Did God's response show approval of the rich man's reasoning?"
Indeed ...
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:
silentreader wrote:
Here it is with a link to all texts to make it easier to read.
silentreader wrote:But then they should ask, "Did God's response show approval of the rich man's reasoning?"
Indeed ...
Thanks, Boot, I appreciate your input.
I'm also interested in feedback on stewardship from others as well before I take this further.
0 x