MentorLink Leaders' Covenant

General Christian Theology
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: MentorLink Leaders' Covenant

Post by silentreader »

9. I WILL FAITHFULLY STEWARD MONEY
Jesus and the Apostles regularly had others steward money entrusted to them. They taught and modeled stewardship and operated above reproach in the sight of God and people. I grieve that some leaders take financial advantage of people or fail to seek financial accountability of other godly leaders for funds given to the ministry. I acknowledge that the love of money corrupts and distorts a leader’s ability to serve Jesus’ kingdom and causes many leaders to fail the test of godliness. I also acknowledge that leaders need to support their families and can rightly expect support from those they serve. I humbly ask for grace to walk above reproach before God and people with the finances entrusted to me.
(Matt. 6:25-34; Luke 16:14-15; Acts 4:32-5:11; Acts 6:1-7; Acts 20:25-35; 1 Cor. 9:1-18; 2 Cor. 8:16-22; 1 Tim. 6:9-11; 1 Peter 5:2-3; Jude 11- 12)

One of the things about leaders is that they are human beings, and as such, are not insulated from the need for 'making a living'. Before an individual becomes a leader who can serve God faithfully, as a steward in this case, the proper ground-work must exist in that person's life.
In this case, within the broader context of Matthew 6:19-34, perhaps v24

quote]Matthew 6:24English Standard Version (ESV)
24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.[/quote]

is at the heart.
In the giving of alms, for instance, where liberality seems to be encouraged by Scripture, we seem to find ourselves feeling that our giving must be tempered by how much we need to retain for ourselves in order to be comfortable. It is dismaying how quickly we find that we need a greater degree of comfort.
What masters us? Our perceived needs?
For an individual who is, or is to become, a leader, the question of 'which shall I cherish?' must be addressed.
In order for a leader to freely be a good steward, that leader must have a clear commitment as to who is Master.
It is only then that the individual can say, "this all comes from my Master, I will dedicate it to His service."
This is not to say that God does give us substance to 'make a living' but rather that our loyalty to our Master will temper what we consider as 'making a living'.
And certainly a church leader especially, when on the receiving end from those under his leadership, must be sensitive not only to designations made in the giving, but also always remember that it is the Master who must ultimately receive the benefit of that which is His own.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

silentreader wrote:9. I WILL FAITHFULLY STEWARD MONEY
Jesus and the Apostles regularly had others steward money entrusted to them. They taught and modeled stewardship and operated above reproach in the sight of God and people. I grieve that some leaders take financial advantage of people or fail to seek financial accountability of other godly leaders for funds given to the ministry. I acknowledge that the love of money corrupts and distorts a leader’s ability to serve Jesus’ kingdom and causes many leaders to fail the test of godliness. I also acknowledge that leaders need to support their families and can rightly expect support from those they serve. I humbly ask for grace to walk above reproach before God and people with the finances entrusted to me.
(Matt. 6:25-34; Luke 16:14-15; Acts 4:32-5:11; Acts 6:1-7; Acts 20:25-35; 1 Cor. 9:1-18; 2 Cor. 8:16-22; 1 Tim. 6:9-11; 1 Peter 5:2-3; Jude 11- 12)

One of the things about leaders is that they are human beings, and as such, are not insulated from the need for 'making a living'. Before an individual becomes a leader who can serve God faithfully, as a steward in this case, the proper ground-work must exist in that person's life.
In this case, within the broader context of Matthew 6:19-34, perhaps v24

quote]Matthew 6:24English Standard Version (ESV)
24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

is at the heart.
In the giving of alms, for instance, where liberality seems to be encouraged by Scripture, we seem to find ourselves feeling that our giving must be tempered by how much we need to retain for ourselves in order to be comfortable. It is dismaying how quickly we find that we need a greater degree of comfort.
What masters us? Our perceived needs?
For an individual who is, or is to become, a leader, the question of 'which shall I cherish?' must be addressed.
In order for a leader to freely be a good steward, that leader must have a clear commitment as to who is Master.
It is only then that the individual can say, "this all comes from my Master, I will dedicate it to His service."
This is not to say that God does give us substance to 'make a living' but rather that our loyalty to our Master will temper what we consider as 'making a living'.
And certainly a church leader especially, when on the receiving end from those under his leadership, must be sensitive not only to designations made in the giving, but also always remember that it is the Master who must ultimately receive the benefit of that which is His own.[/quote]

My apologies, this should say "...that God does not give us substance..."
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

silentreader wrote: For an individual who is, or is to become, a leader, the question of 'which shall I cherish?' must be addressed.
And certainly a church leader especially, when on the receiving end from those under his leadership, must be sensitive not only to designations made in the giving, but also always remember that it is the Master who must ultimately receive the benefit of that which is His own.
I'm not sure if I understand clearly what you are saying here.
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

RZehr wrote:
silentreader wrote: For an individual who is, or is to become, a leader, the question of 'which shall I cherish?' must be addressed.
I'm not sure if I understand clearly what you are saying here.
Sorry, I was a lot more muddled than I realized when I wrote that.

The first part refers to an individual's loyalties and priorities with his 'own' possessions.
Second part refers to the loyalties and priorities a leader has with offerings, perhaps, given into His care to be used for God's work, especially when there is a designation attached by the giver.
0 x