The Holy Spirit

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: The Holy Spirit

Post by Valerie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Valerie wrote:I am familliar with the teachings of 1 Thessalonians 5:19-22 regarding QUENCHING the Holy Spirit vs Ephesians 4 :30 regarding GRIEVING the Holy Spirit. Coming from Pentecost Church I feel they have an accurate understanding of the difference beteen "quenching" vs "grieving" the Holy Spirit. Looking and comparing both passages in context, it seems clear they are not the same thing- how would you summarize the differences after reading the passages? What would you say the difference is between the meaning of quench & meaning of grieve? This should help
Ahh, bingo! I searched a few times about "quenching the holy spirit" and could absolutely not find it (maybe I was up too later; maybe I'm just not so grand at using the internet...). I haven't really studied 1 Thess. in it's entirety, but Ephesians is one of my favorite books.

I agree they aren't the same. Quenching seems to be a willful opposition to the works/ deeds of the Spirit.
Yes- the Churches we were involved with for decades placed a lot of importance on believing the Holy Spirit was active, and was to be active, in the Church- not just the 'fruit' of the Spirit, but the works and gifts of the Spirit which evidently played an important role of confirming truth when the Apostles took the Gospel to the world- signs and wonders, miracles and healings, confirming their words and faith- so there are Christians who do believe this was to remain in the Church until the end- (and indeed you can read about these throughout this 2000 Church age).

Consider Jesus words here:
10The ax lies ready at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. 11I baptize you with water for repentance, but after me will come One more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 12His winnowing fork is in His hand to clear His threshing floor and to gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

So quenching the Holy Spirit would be similar to putting out the fire of the Holy Spirit- and the works of the Holy Spirit which as we study for example the books of Acts, we witness what the Holy Spirit was actually doing-
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Valerie wrote:Consider Jesus words here: ...
That would be John the Baptist
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Valerie wrote:Consider Jesus words here: ...
That would be John the Baptist
Whoops, thanks- consider John the Baptists words!
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

KingdomBuilder wrote: If there's one thing I think about, personally, it's that the Spirit by no means follows any sort of predictableness or definable pattern (if you will). The times when I've felt profoundly Spirit-fed moments, it's been in obscure times were I wasn't looking for any kind of experience at all. Maybe it's different for others.
I agree. I don't think we can look at scripture and say that if we don't see the Spirit acting in a certain way there, then it is not a move of the Spirit. But we do need discernment on whether or not it is the Holy Spirit at work. This is one of the gifts of the Spirit and one we should earnestly seek to have in a community of believers.

When I hear stories of folks barking like dogs under the influence of the Spirit, my human discernment does not discern this is of God. On the other hand, I have been in a setting of what is sometimes referred to as 'holy laughter' and experienced what I believe to be a result of unspeakable joy in the Holy Spirit. And I think other spirits could try to provide this experience also. Imo, discernment of spirits is very important in a group who earnestly seek spiritual gifts (a command that seems to be overlooked by many church groups).

I had an experience once when sharing the Gospel where as I referred to a scripture the bible kept flopping open to the exact text. I knew generally where these texts where in my bible but to have it flop open to the exact page over and over, the person I was witnessing to stopped and remarked about it. He didn't know I was probably more shocked than He was. I never felt so Spirit guided. Other times I have been led to share a text and wondered why I needed to share that text. I believe we just need to be willing to co-operate even when we don't know what all is going on as God works in people's hearts.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Ran across a couple of interesting things in Acts 21.
When Paul left his meeting with the Ephesian elders and resumed his journey to Jerusalem, we find that:
Acts 21:3-4English Standard Version (ESV)
3 When we had come in sight of Cyprus, leaving it on the left we sailed to Syria and landed at Tyre, for there the ship was to unload its cargo. 4 And having sought out the disciples, we stayed there for seven days. And through the Spirit they were telling Paul not to go on to Jerusalem.
Interesting that some disciples here felt that the Holy Spirit was speaking through them, to Paul, that he was not to go to Jerusalem. Interesting that at Caesarea, Paul was warned by Abagus, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, of the consequences of continuing to Jerusalem, he was not forbidden but warned.
And yet it seems in the general context of the story of Paul, that going to Jerusalem at this time was part of God's plan for him.

The other interesting thing I see:
Acts 21:17-26English Standard Version (ESV)
Paul Visits James
17 When we had come to Jerusalem, the brothers received us gladly. 18 On the following day Paul went in with us to James, and all the elders were present. 19 After greeting them, he related one by one the things that God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. 20 And when they heard it, they glorified God. And they said to him, “You see, brother, how many thousands there are among the Jews of those who have believed. They are all zealous for the law, 21 and they have been told about you that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children or walk according to our customs. 22 What then is to be done? They will certainly hear that you have come. 23 Do therefore what we tell you. We have four men who are under a vow; 24 take these men and purify yourself along with them and pay their expenses, so that they may shave their heads. Thus all will know that there is nothing in what they have been told about you, but that you yourself also live in observance of the law. 25 But as for the Gentiles who have believed, we have sent a letter with our judgment that they should abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled,[a] and from sexual immorality.” 26 Then Paul took the men, and the next day he purified himself along with them and went into the temple, giving notice when the days of purification would be fulfilled and the offering presented for each one of them.
That the church leaders instructed Paul, and he submitted to it, even though it 'violated his Christian liberty', to perform an act of the Jewish traditional law, in order to avoid being a stumbling block to the believing Jews.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown