The Holy Spirit

General Christian Theology
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

The Holy Spirit

Post by Signtist »

Is there a difference, biblically, between "having" the Spirit and "being full" of the Spirit?
Do we expect any supernatural manifestations of the Spirit in a believer's life today?
Do only certain "manifestations" as given in 1Corinthians 12:8-10 apply today?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: The Holy Spirit

Post by Sudsy »

Signtist wrote:Is there a difference, biblically, between "having" the Spirit and "being full" of the Spirit?

Yes, Every born again believer has the Holy Spirit dwelling within them. Being full of the Spirit is spoken of as an on-going need in a believer's life and is referred to as being controlled by the Spirit within us.

Do we expect any supernatural manifestations of the Spirit in a believer's life today?

Nothing in scripture indicates to me that we can do without supernatural manifestations of the Spirit today.

Some think only some still will be made manifest today. I believe the Spirit will do whatever is necessary in the NC era to further the Kingdom of God. I believe some don't see these manifestations because they don't expect to see them and their lack of faith in the supernatural being visible today quenches the work of the Spirit. I also believe there are supernatural manifestations accredited to the Holy Spirit that are the work of some other spirit. Discernment is very needful in the realm of the supernatural.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Signtist wrote:Is there a difference, biblically, between "having" the Spirit and "being full" of the Spirit?
If I understand your questions correctly, my opinions:
The difference between having and being full is a matter of degree, dependent largely on our level of submission to the Spirit's work in our life.

Growing the fruit of the Spirit in our life, (love, joy, peace...) is also a supernatural event, (at least it is not natural for me). It all begins with another supernatural event, that I died with Christ, and was raised up with Him in new life. The daily supernatural work of the Spirit is to grow the fruit. If we permit this to flow, He will at certain times and for certain purposes, give us a 'gift' of the Spirit to perform His will and His work.
And it may as simple as a gift to teach a certain Sunday School lesson in a certain way to reach a certain person for a certain purpose.
When we think of Spiritual gifts we often think mostly of the noticeably miraculous 'sign' gifts which are less prevalent now than in the 'explosive' times of the very early church. Never for a moment, though, think that even though they are uncommon, the Holy Spirit is limited to never using them. The limitation is maybe because no one has allowed the Holy Spirit free course in our lives to the extent that we can be used as the need arises.
We often forget the daily needs of the church for which the Holy Spirit will gift and enable us, if we are willing.
Perhaps the best advice for common people like you and I is to read 1 Corinthians 12 &13 as one passage.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

It is interesting to me to notice that when the apostles looked for leadership,they looked for men full of the Spirit. Assuming they only chose from a pool of believers which would all have the Spirit, I found the wording interesting.

I think the Spirit can manifest himself in "supernatural" ways, but if you read through the New Testament it seems to say he will manifest himself in a heart of praise, gratitude and worship, as well as submission.
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

silentreader wrote: Perhaps the best advice for common people like you and I is to read 1 Corinthians 12 &13 as one passage.
Sometime I need to read the books of Romans - Jude in their chronological order as one passage!
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

silentreader wrote: The difference between having and being full is a matter of degree, dependent largely on our level of submission to the Spirit's work in our life.
So, what do you make of this verse - Romans 8:9 "You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ."

Sounds to me that 'having the Spirit' is either you do or you do not, no degree ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I was brought up always hearing about "quenching the Holy Spirit".
I assume people are citing the verse about "grieving the Holy Spirit" when they say this?

I'm not sure it's the same thing. Anyone else familiar with this saying and it's (supposed) implications?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I was brought up always hearing about "quenching the Holy Spirit".
I assume people are citing the verse about "grieving the Holy Spirit" when they say this?

I'm not sure it's the same thing. Anyone else familiar with this saying and it's (supposed) implications?
I am familliar with the teachings of 1 Thessalonians 5:19-22 regarding QUENCHING the Holy Spirit vs Ephesians 4 :30 regarding GRIEVING the Holy Spirit. Coming from Pentecost Church I feel they have an accurate understanding of the difference beteen "quenching" vs "grieving" the Holy Spirit. Looking and comparing both passages in context, it seems clear they are not the same thing- how would you summarize the differences after reading the passages? What would you say the difference is between the meaning of quench & meaning of grieve? This should help
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

Signtist wrote:It is interesting to me to notice that when the apostles looked for leadership,they looked for men full of the Spirit. Assuming they only chose from a pool of believers which would all have the Spirit, I found the wording interesting.

I think the Spirit can manifest himself in "supernatural" ways, but if you read through the New Testament it seems to say he will manifest himself in a heart of praise, gratitude and worship, as well as submission.
I'm wondering what their being full of the Spirit would have looked like in their daily walk, supernatural, or Christ-like in nature.

edited to add....or when we look at the qualifications for overseers, deacons, and elders in Timothy and Titus, what do we see and what do we not see, and why is that?
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

Sudsy wrote:
silentreader wrote: The difference between having and being full is a matter of degree, dependent largely on our level of submission to the Spirit's work in our life.
So, what do you make of this verse - Romans 8:9 "You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ."

Sounds to me that 'having the Spirit' is either you do or you do not, no degree ?
I don't understand what point you are trying to make, everything you said is implicit in what I said.
Obviously in some cases someone can be "full of it" without "having it" but this is not true of the Holy Spirit. You can't be full of the Holy Spirit unless you have the Holy Spirit.
0 x