"Blessed is he whose quiver is full"

General Christian Theology
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: "Blessed is he whose quiver is full"

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:I've always been very curious as to why so many Christian parents put their (Christian) daughters on birth control. What does this say about expectations and accountability?
I don't know of anyone that does this.
You must not know very many generic American kind of "Christians".
I know the ones I work with, but I would never guess they would do this. I would certainly be surprised.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

RZehr wrote:
Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:
I don't know of anyone that does this.
You must not know very many generic American kind of "Christians".
I know the ones I work with, but I would never guess they would do this. I would certainly be surprised.
I see a fair number of younger patients, mostly for stress fractures from athletics, gymnastics and cheerleading. I am thinking of ages 14-17.

I get a complete med list. I would say about 1 in 10 are on contraceptives, and of those roughly half are for reasons other than birth control. Oral contraceptives are used for reasons other than contraception, mostly period regulation. Some young gals actually get anemic.

BTW, don't be so quick in rejecting HPV vaccine as being for protection against cervical cancer only. It is being implicated in cancers in other parts of the body as well. I would suggest following your doctor's advice.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

I think this is a situation that is best left up to the couple. They know what they can handle and what they can not. I do not think it is fair to bring children into an unsafe environment just to make the quiver full.

Also, health plays a part in this as well. Mental and physical.
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

TeleBodyofChrist wrote:I think this is a situation that is best left up to the couple. They know what they can handle and what they can not. I do not think it is fair to bring children into an unsafe environment just to make the quiver full.

Also, health plays a part in this as well. Mental and physical.
Amen to this post.
Not once have I have I ever heard the "Blessed are the people with their quivers full" crowd ever take note of the fact that every quiver has a limit how many it can hold. Also, quivers come in different sizes. In the healthy and normal course of events, any given couple could stock several quivers. But a child comes into the world with a lot of needs....emotional, physical, spiritual, mental. As humans, we are created with limits on every one of those fronts. We do well to consider the resources our Father has bestowed on us, as we consider our capacities for healthy child rearing.

I am familiar with more than one family whose mother is/was quite fragile emotionally/emotionally/physically whose children in many respects had to raise themselves and their siblings. I know of at least one where the family, in spite of this being an ongoing issue, added child to child to child to child to child...etc..

I maintain that there is a Godly mindset concerning children. They are gifts from God and a tremendous blessing, and any child, planned or otherwise, should be welcomed with an open heart. But that does not logically translate to "the more you have the better it is, and therefore any effort to regulate their creation is standing in the way of blessing."

That is not, as I see it, truth.
0 x
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

You know, I once heard a sermon that said, "If you have two children you are only replacing yourself and not multiplying." In other words two blessings were not good enough to follow God's command to be fruitful and multiply. It really bothered me as it put unnecessary pressure on couples and if they followed and could not withstand then what?
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

TeleBodyofChrist wrote:You know, I once heard a sermon that said, "If you have two children you are only replacing yourself and not multiplying." In other words two blessings were not good enough to follow God's command to be fruitful and multiply. It really bothered me as it put unnecessary pressure on couples and if they followed and could not withstand then what?
Wow. I'm really letting God down then.
0 x
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

The command to be fruitful and multiply, it seems apparent to me, was creation principle or law that God set in motion at that time and not a specific command to each human, or set of humans.
None of us feel compelled individually to "rule over every fish in the sea and all the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground." as the latter part of that verse mandates.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sunbeam wrote:The command to be fruitful and multiply, it seems apparent to me, was creation principle or law that God set in motion at that time and not a specific command to each human, or set of humans.
None of us feel compelled individually to "rule over every fish in the sea and all the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground." as the latter part of that verse mandates.
I know someone who felt pretty concerned he needed to rule over the fish of the sea. I didn't have very good arguments against that at the time either.
0 x
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

Did he have a plan for getting it done?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote:
Sunbeam wrote:The command to be fruitful and multiply, it seems apparent to me, was creation principle or law that God set in motion at that time and not a specific command to each human, or set of humans.
I know someone who felt pretty concerned he needed to rule over the fish of the sea. I didn't have very good arguments against that at the time either.
I know a few like that. :laugh
0 x