"Blessed is he whose quiver is full"

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

"Blessed is he whose quiver is full"

Post by Josh »

silentreader wrote:
Hats Off wrote:I believe someone mentioned in another post that Jesus' teaching had to do with his audience who were Jews and subject to the law. I too have often questioned our approach to the Ten Commandments or the Levitical law. We seem to pick and choose at random those things which we still need to obey today.
Such as..."and blessed is he who has his quiver full of them."
Which directly conflicts with 1 Co. 7:8 and 7:25-28 - unless the most-blessed man is one whose "quiver is full" but is somehow unmarried at the same time.

It would seem to make as much sense to give teachings that Christians should eat a lot of honey "for it is good" as to use Proverbs as a doctrinal basis for having as many children as possible.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: "Blessed is he whose quiver is full"

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote:It would seem to make as much sense to give teachings that Christians should eat a lot of honey "for it is good" as to use Proverbs as a doctrinal basis for having as many children as possible.
I'm sitting here eating honey right now. I'm in favor of this.

(Oo.... my keyboard is sticky)
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Josh wrote:
silentreader wrote:
Hats Off wrote:I believe someone mentioned in another post that Jesus' teaching had to do with his audience who were Jews and subject to the law. I too have often questioned our approach to the Ten Commandments or the Levitical law. We seem to pick and choose at random those things which we still need to obey today.
Such as..."and blessed is he who has his quiver full of them."
Which directly conflicts with 1 Co. 7:8 and 7:25-28 - unless the most-blessed man is one whose "quiver is full" but is somehow unmarried at the same time.

It would seem to make as much sense to give teachings that Christians should eat a lot of honey "for it is good" as to use Proverbs as a doctrinal basis for having as many children as possible.
Or drink a little wine for my poor unsettled stomach's sake. (It was probably the tsidderle that did it.)
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

To clarify... my keyboard isn't sticky, but I was eating oatmeal and honey :P

I've always considered this to be more of a question of birth control. Is there a legitimate form of birth control Christians can use? In my mind anything that causes the death of a fertilized egg is wrong. I know some would find that extreme but I consider it life. This would rule out IUD's of any kind as well as any form of birth control given to the female.
There is one I've been keeping an eye on for when it finishes trials that looks promising though, Vasalgel. Its still years off but I would be fine with that style of birth control being used.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I find waiting long enough makes birth control unnecessary.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Hats Off wrote:I find waiting long enough makes birth control unnecessary.

Not sure about that as Abraham was 100 years old when his son Isaac was born. :lol:
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh

Post by Josh »

(1) It is an opinion that IUDs kill fertilised eggs, or at least that they do anymore than being severely overweight, being under high stress, etc

(2) I think it's bad to focus too much on the mechanics of birth control but good to focus on the fruits.

What is the effect on human beings to indulge ourselves in unlimited sexual pleasure but without the consequence / fruit / blessing God decided to align such pleasure with? It seems to be deviating rather far from what is ordained in nature.

Whilst I do not wish to tell married couples what is right and wrong for them to do, I do think this area is worthy of a lot more discernment. I don't see good positive fruit at all from young people delaying child-bearing a few years so they can pursue other things.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I've always been very curious as to why so many Christian parents put their (Christian) daughters on birth control. What does this say about expectations and accountability?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I've always been very curious as to why so many Christian parents put their (Christian) daughters on birth control. What does this say about expectations and accountability?
We consider the earthly burden of an unwanted pregnancy much more than we consider the spiritual burden of engaging in sin.

Shows we just don't take sin seriously. I don't think many of us fully realise the wages of sin are death and that there won't be sin in the kingdom of heaven.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I've always been very curious as to why so many Christian parents put their (Christian) daughters on birth control. What does this say about expectations and accountability?
it says that (despite all teaching to the contrary?) the parents expect it will be necessary so as to avoid future embarrassment for the parents and unwanted consequences for the daughter as well as free the daughter to live a carefree life. It says the parents have very low expectations and no one wants to be accountable.
0 x