Life in the Kingdom of God

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Life in the Kingdom of God

Post by Bootstrap »

This thread is for those who:
  1. Believe the Bible is authoritative
  2. Believe that the Kingdom of God is the thing that Jesus talked about more than anything else
  3. Believe that what Jesus said and did are the core for understanding the Bible as a whole
I would like to keep this thread for those who have this common ground. And I'd like to ask this:

What does that look like in your daily life? What do you point to as signs of the Kingdom of God here on earth? What do you do to try to seek FIRST the Kingdom of God?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
barnhart

Re: Life in the Kingdom of God

Post by barnhart »

I am reading Romans and chapter 12 says the perfect will of God (the expansion of his kingdom) follows resisting the conforming pressure of the world, pursuing internal transformation and living sacrificially.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

barnhart wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:29 pm I am reading Romans and chapter 12 says the perfect will of God (the expansion of his kingdom) follows resisting the conforming pressure of the world, pursuing internal transformation and living sacrificially.
Can you expand on that? Suppose you were preaching a sermon telling your local congregation how to live that out, what does that look like concretely?
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:36 pm Matthew 5:44
https://biblehub.com/matthew/5-44.htm
43You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor’ and ‘Hate your enemy.’

44But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.
He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.…
Jesus the Christ goes beyond “not hating,” “tolerating.”

Christians are to love enemies. A Big Step beyond. A really hard step.
Can Jesus be trusted?? :?

Jesus has some terrifying expectations. :-|
i consider myself terrible at this. but i believe it, respect it, and believe it’s The Way.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:48 pm
barnhart wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:29 pm I am reading Romans and chapter 12 says the perfect will of God (the expansion of his kingdom) follows resisting the conforming pressure of the world, pursuing internal transformation and living sacrificially.
Can you expand on that? Suppose you were preaching a sermon telling your local congregation how to live that out, what does that look like concretely?
Was someone here on schedule to preach this morning? :)

One question you can ask yourself is, “How will it be in the Kingdom?” I know it sounds a bit trite, and it can be a bit trite. But I’ve also found that it can be useful for cutting through a lot of overthinking.

Maybe another way to put it is to cultivate a vision of what the kingdom is like. “Cultivate” because a lot of Jesus’ description of the kingdom is in parables, not a list of kingdom facts that can be memorized. Knowing what the kingdom is like is more like knowing a person than knowing what an encyclopedia says about that person. And then make an effort to live your life in conformity with that vision.
1 x