Ascension Day- when did it start?

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Ascension Day- when did it start?

Post by Valerie »

I read that the 'tradition' was it started in 68 A.D.-
Question- is it important to bring it to focus? Why or why not? I never heard of it being a 'special day' until I was on the MAP (Mission to Amish People) Discussion Forum years ago and found out in Amish communities, they observe "Ascension Day". That was not a part of the Churches I came from- so many things I was learning sent me on a journey to learn more history of "The Church"-

However lately Ascension Day was brought up here as a negative- a man made tradition. Could God have inspired this, and if so why? Certainly, satan would not want any focus or attention on this- one reason why, is because of this passage:

Acts 1:9-12New King James Version (NKJV)

Jesus Ascends to Heaven
9 Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. 10 And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel, 11 who also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.”

Think about this- satan hates the reminders that when Christ returns- his time is 'up'.

here is one article I read about it- in this article, it is said the Apostles taught it-

Feast of the Ascension

Help support New Advent and get the full contents of this website as an instant download. Includes the Catholic Encyclopedia, Church Fathers, Summa, Bible and more — all for only $19.99...

See also The Fact of the Ascension.

The fortieth day after Easter Sunday, commemorating the Ascension of Christ into heaven, according to Mark 16:19, Luke 24:51, and Acts 1:2.

In the Eastern Church this feast was known as analepsis, the taking up, and also as the episozomene, the salvation—denoting that by ascending into His glory, Christ completed the work of our redemption. The terms used in the West, ascensio and, occasionally, ascensa, signify that Christ was raised up by His own powers. Tradition designates Mount Olivet near Bethany as the place where Christ left the earth. The feast falls on Thursday. It is one of the Ecumenical feasts ranking with the feasts of the Passion, of Easter and of Pentecost among the most solemn in the calendar, has a vigil and, since the fifteenth century, an octave which is set apart for a novena of preparation for Pentecost, in accordance with the directions of Leo XIII.

History

The observance of this feast is of great antiquity. Although no documentary evidence of it exists prior to the beginning of the fifth century, St. Augustine says that it is of Apostolic origin, and he speaks of it in a way that shows it was the universal observance of the Church long before his time. Frequent mention of it is made in the writings of St. John Chrysostom, St. Gregory of Nyssa, and in the Constitution of the Apostles. The Pilgrimage of Sylvia (Peregrinatio Etheriae) speaks of the vigil of this feast and of the feast itself, as they were kept in the church built over the grotto in Bethlehem in which Christ was born (Duchesne, Christian Worship, 491-515). It may be that prior to the fifth century the fact narrated in the Gospels was commemorated in conjunction with the feast of Easter or Pentecost. Some believe that the much-disputed forty-third decree of the Council of Elvira (c. 300) condemning the practice of observing a feast on the fortieth day after Easter and neglecting to keep Pentecost on the fiftieth day, implies that the proper usage of the time was to commemorate the Ascension along with Pentecost. Representations of the mystery are found in diptychs and frescoes dating as early as the fifth century.

Whether anyone observes it or not- I could see why & how God would have inspired it, why apparently the Apostles taught it, and why satan and his kingdom, would hate it.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Ascension Day- when did it start?

Post by appleman2006 »

40 days after the resurrection.

Next question?
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

appleman2006 wrote:40 days after the resurrection.

Next question?
Really not in the mood for discussion, are we? :shock:

I think perhaps Valerie presents a very clear case for why some of us still do observe this day.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Jesus liked to celebrate. Christians have always celebrated. The resurrection of Jesus Christ is the central event of Christianity.

Unlike the Old Testament, the New Testament does not give us a detailed set of celebrations we are required to keep. But the early Church has celebrated Easter since the earliest days. And why wouldn't it? If we don't celebrate Easter, is there anything at all that we would want to celebrate as Christians?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

Hats Off wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:40 days after the resurrection.

Next question?
Really not in the mood for discussion, are we? :shock:

I think perhaps Valerie presents a very clear case for why some of us still do observe this day.
Sorry for being flippant about it. I am perfectly alright with people celebrating this day. It is still a national holiday in most of Europe I believe although I am guessing a very small percentage actually recognize it's significance. .

As I recall from my many years of going to market, Ascension day was usually a day when we sold an extra amount of second apples starting around noon. Can you guess why? ;)
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

appleman2006 wrote:
Hats Off wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:
Sorry for being flippant about it. I am perfectly alright with people celebrating this day. It is still a national holiday in most of Europe I believe although I am guessing a very small percentage actually recognize it's significance. .

As I recall from my many years of going to market, Ascension day was usually a day when we sold an extra amount of second apples starting around noon. Can you guess why? ;)
I almost commented on that aspect of the day in our home community. When working on construction and boarding away from home two of us decided that we would just work, since so many people treated the day very casually anyhow. That night we were reprimanded by our boss who was a liberal Mennonite. He told us "When your church has a religious observance, you need to take the time off work to go to that." I have always struggled somewhat with that casual part of the day as we kept it.
0 x
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

Actually I would probably be the other way. I have no problem with having a service and using it as a special teaching tool to teach what the day represents and teaches. Making it into some kind of a special holy day goes a bit far IMO and could have a wrong effect over the long haul.
I actually am perfectly OK with the way the majority in your group observe it. But that is just my opinion.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

"In the same way, some think one day is more holy than another day, while others think every day is alike. You should each be fully convinced that whichever day you choose is acceptable."

I guess I tend toward 'every day is alike'. I can skip over birthdays, anniversaries, father's and mother's day, valentine's day, St. Patrick's day, New Year's eve and day, thanksgiving day, Halloween, and probably others with no guilt feelings. And most of these result in poor use of monies that could be used for more noble purposes. I waste enough money on useless things as it is. But those who do something in acknowledging these and other special days, should do them as they sense God's acceptance in the way they do, imo.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit