Did Apostle Paul know Christ?

General Christian Theology
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Did Apostle Paul know Christ?

Post by KingdomBuilder »

A woman I know said that Paul's writings were demonically influenced. She essentially claims that Satan got his way put into the Bible through the Pauline texts (her examples mentioned veiling, jewelry, etc.). She claims that the epistles are divisive, oppressive, and go firmly against the creation of God.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:A woman I know said that Paul's writings were demonically influenced. She essentially claims that Satan got his way put into the Bible through the Pauline texts (her examples mentioned veiling, jewelry, etc.). She claims that the epistles are divisive, oppressive, and go firmly against the creation of God.
I daresay she also supports abortion of infants and lesbian liaisons too :roll:

We pray for these people to experience a true conversion of heart.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

MaxPC wrote:I daresay she also supports abortion of infants and lesbian liaisons too :roll:

That's what's odd- she's very firmly opposed to those things. Seems like she has a hodgepodge theology of some sort..
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

ohio jones wrote: That's a common reason, but not the only one. I first encountered the attempt to dichotomize Jesus and Paul in the context of women in ministry. If Paul can be discredited, the reasoning was, then his inconvenient teachings on women's roles go away, and we are left with Jesus and his countercultural acceptance and elevation of women above the (lack of) status they had in first century society and Judaism. Of course in doing so they also lost the ability to cite the passages where Paul does advance women. Not that it stopped them from trying to have it both ways.
Paul can be quite hard on our patriarchal societies and our belief in "men first and foremost."
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
MaxPC wrote:I daresay she also supports abortion of infants and lesbian liaisons too :roll:

That's what's odd- she's very firmly opposed to those things. Seems like she has a hodgepodge theology of some sort..
It could very well be from spending too much time in Internet forums and/or around friends with hodgepodge theology. If she's a college student, that's a common situation and attitude I saw among my own students.

You might be able to help her see how bring pro-life is also being pro-woman. If she's open to Jesus first, her ability to accept Paul will be easier once she matures in the Lord.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God