Observing the Sabbath

General Christian Theology
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Re: Observing the Sabbath

Post by JohnHurt »

Adam wrote:
JohnHurt wrote: I won't tell you what I think of the NIV and the New Living Translation. But the people that buy these translations, or push them on their churches, do so for reasons just like this. The addition to Mark 7:19 comes to mind, which is an addition that only found in these types of translations after 1881, and not in the earlier source texts or Bibles prior to this date.
I would say the overwhelmingly vast majority of people who buy an NIV, NLT, ESV, or any other translation other than the King James do so primarily because they find it difficult to understand the King James Version due to the archaic language. The vast majority of readers are unaware of specific textual problems like Luke 6:1 or Mark 7:19.

As the one who made the original post on this thread, I would request that if anybody wants to continue this discussion over which biblical manuscripts are the best or which English translations are the most faithful that they start a new thread. Personally, I find that such conversations rarely bear any spiritual fruit, but result rather in division and strife, as it is impossible at this point in history to determine with certainty which readings are original since we don't have access to the autographs. The most likely scenario is that some original readings are found in the Textus Receptus/Byzantine Texts and that some are found in the Alexandrian Texts and perhaps even in other texts. But the overwhelmingly vast majority of texts are in agreement across all text types, and, where there is disagreement, the vast majority of disagreements are not differences that are translatable into English. So why don't we agree to disagree, since their are valid arguments on both sides and neither side can be proven to the satisfaction of the other side.
Adam,

How do you observe the Sabbath?

John
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

JohnHurt wrote:
Adam wrote:
JohnHurt wrote: I won't tell you what I think of the NIV and the New Living Translation. But the people that buy these translations, or push them on their churches, do so for reasons just like this. The addition to Mark 7:19 comes to mind, which is an addition that only found in these types of translations after 1881, and not in the earlier source texts or Bibles prior to this date.
I would say the overwhelmingly vast majority of people who buy an NIV, NLT, ESV, or any other translation other than the King James do so primarily because they find it difficult to understand the King James Version due to the archaic language. The vast majority of readers are unaware of specific textual problems like Luke 6:1 or Mark 7:19.

As the one who made the original post on this thread, I would request that if anybody wants to continue this discussion over which biblical manuscripts are the best or which English translations are the most faithful that they start a new thread. Personally, I find that such conversations rarely bear any spiritual fruit, but result rather in division and strife, as it is impossible at this point in history to determine with certainty which readings are original since we don't have access to the autographs. The most likely scenario is that some original readings are found in the Textus Receptus/Byzantine Texts and that some are found in the Alexandrian Texts and perhaps even in other texts. But the overwhelmingly vast majority of texts are in agreement across all text types, and, where there is disagreement, the vast majority of disagreements are not differences that are translatable into English. So why don't we agree to disagree, since their are valid arguments on both sides and neither side can be proven to the satisfaction of the other side.
Adam,

John
I do not observe the Sabbath.
0 x
JohnHurt

Post by JohnHurt »

Adam wrote:
JohnHurt wrote:
Adam,

John
Do you find it beneficial to rest one day out of the week?
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Adam

Post by Adam »

JohnHurt wrote:
Adam wrote:
JohnHurt wrote:
Adam,

John
Do you find it beneficial to rest one day out of the week?
Absolutely, and two days of rest is even better!
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

JohnHurt wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:I don't see anywhere in the words of Jesus where he tells Gentiles to observe the Jewish Sabbath, become circumcised, or observe the various Jewish feasts that you promote.
Here it is:

Matthew 5:(17) Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

(18) For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

(19) Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
But your black-and-white reading makes no room for relaxing anything in the Old Testament, including circumcision and sacrifices in the Temple. Unless you relate this to the rest of the New Testament, what started out as "just the words of Jesus" suddenly brings in the entire Old Testament. That's a rather different proposition.

At the same time, you reject much of the New Testament, including everything that Paul wrote and the things in other books that testify to the authority of Paul. There's not much point discussing which translation or which manuscript is best if you reject half of the New Testament entirely. And that makes it hard to discuss this, because I think the real answer is to read Galatians, our best guide to the relationship between Jesus and the Old Covenant. Without that common ground, I'm not sure where to go with this.

As for Luke 6:1, it doesn't really matter much which reading is correct. Luke writes for Gentiles, starting out with an introduction that could have come straight out of a Greek history, explaining Jewish customs along the way for his Gentile audience. I don't think we can assume that these readers would have been experts on the Jewish festivals, that's knowledge that he does not seem to assume. Commentaries often say that if this is genuine, they are not at all sure what it means, offering at least several possibilities. I don't think this is particularly solid ground to build a theology on.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Adam wrote:Absolutely, and two days of rest is even better!
Now *that's* where we can find common ground ;->
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
JohnHurt

Post by JohnHurt »

Bootstrap wrote:
But your black-and-white reading makes no room for relaxing anything in the Old Testament, including circumcision and sacrifices in the Temple. Unless you relate this to the rest of the New Testament, what started out as "just the words of Jesus" suddenly brings in the entire Old Testament. That's a rather different proposition.

At the same time, you reject much of the New Testament, including everything that Paul wrote and the things in other books that testify to the authority of Paul. There's not much point discussing which translation or which manuscript is best if you reject half of the New Testament entirely. And that makes it hard to discuss this, because I think the real answer is to read Galatians, our best guide to the relationship between Jesus and the Old Covenant. Without that common ground, I'm not sure where to go with this.

As for Luke 6:1, it doesn't really matter much which reading is correct. Luke writes for Gentiles, starting out with an introduction that could have come straight out of a Greek history, explaining Jewish customs along the way for his Gentile audience. I don't think we can assume that these readers would have been experts on the Jewish festivals, that's knowledge that he does not seem to assume. Commentaries often say that if this is genuine, they are not at all sure what it means, offering at least several possibilities. I don't think this is particularly solid ground to build a theology on.
I have promised not to say anything negative about Paul. So, I will say this with the words of Christ:

John 8:(17) It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.

Whatever Paul said, or claimed to be, you would need a second witness to make it a fact. And for most of what he said, and what he claimed to be as a title, there is not a second witness.

And you are right, Christ said that all of the Law would always be relevant, yet there is no Temple to offer sacrifices. There is no "place where the Lord has put His name" for where we should celebrate the yearly feast days. And circumcision is only given to the physical descendants of Abraham (Gen 17:10), so that is not a commandment for everyone either.

For the sacrificial law, the Book of Hebrews tells us that there is a true tabernacle, not made with hands, where Christ is our High Priest. This is where the sacrificial law is performed, once and for all.

For if the sacrificial law had been abolished, then Christ would not have needed to die on the cross. His sacrifice is something that we still celebrate, so the sacrificial law, now in the true tabernacle, is something we acknowledge as eternal. Hebrews 9.

The feast days are no longer in Jerusalem, and no longer point to the delivery from Egypt, or the sojourn in the desert.
The feast days all point to Christ.

Passover points to Christ's death, Unleavened bread to His burial, and First Fruits to His resurrection. Pentecost is still celebrated as when the Spirit or Comforter was given. The fall feast days point to His Return, when the Trumpet of the Lord shall sound and the dead in Christ shall rise. (Matt 24:31) And we shall reign with Him and tabernacle with Him, as indicated by the Feast of Tabernacles, and be judged on the Last Great Day. And Atonement was the day He entered our world, as a scapegoat to wander the lonely places.

Bootstrap,

The only major differences between most of us are the dietary laws, resting on the 7th day, usury, and replacing the pagan feast days that honor Mithras and replacing them with the holy days that honor Christ.

In one thing I will agree with Paul. That there was a part of the law that was added because of transgressions. (Gal 3:19).

This is talking about the laws added after the covenant of Sinai, which are the sacrificial laws. Paul is wrong, yet right in that they are not on earth at this point.

Carefully look at Exodus 20 - the 10 Commandments.

Exodus 21-23 - the law written in a scroll. This was the basis of the covenant, and was the moral laws that men should follow.
Exodus 24 - the covenant
Exodus 25-31 the tabernacles laws, that had been added after covenant.

Paul is wrong, but also right, in stating that what was added is now abolished, at least here on earth.

Take care and nice to talk to you.

John
0 x
Adam

Post by Adam »

JohnHurt wrote:Paul is wrong, but also right, in stating that what was added is now abolished, at least here on earth.

John
John, if I understand your words correctly, it appears that you do not accept the words of Paul as inspired Scripture. If I am wrong in my assessment, please do let me know. But if you do not accept the entirety of the New Testament as inspired Scripture, including the words of Paul, this may not be the best forum for you. You will find that most of the people on this forum are in agreement that the entirety of the New Testament is inspired Scripture, and claims made contrary to that statement will not be well received or taken seriously. Rather they will be seen as an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words.

On the other hand, the fact that your arguments seem to indicate that ongoing Sabbath Observance by Gentile Christians necessitates disregarding the words of Paul as Scripture is very helpful for me with respect to my questions in the original post, and for that I thank you.
0 x
JohnHurt

Post by JohnHurt »

Adam wrote:
JohnHurt wrote:Paul is wrong, but also right, in stating that what was added is now abolished, at least here on earth.

John
John, if I understand your words correctly, it appears that you do not accept the words of Paul as inspired Scripture. If I am wrong in my assessment, please do let me know. But if you do not accept the entirety of the New Testament as inspired Scripture, including the words of Paul, this may not be the best forum for you. You will find that most of the people on this forum are in agreement that the entirety of the New Testament is inspired Scripture, and claims made contrary to that statement will not be well received or taken seriously. Rather they will be seen as an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words.

On the other hand, the fact that your arguments seem to indicate that ongoing Sabbath Observance by Gentile Christians necessitates disregarding the words of Paul as Scripture is very helpful for me with respect to my questions in the original post, and for that I thank you.
Adam,

Here is my position:

Christ is superior to Paul, or to any other messenger. Hebrews 1.

If Paul and Christ appear to disagree, then either Christ is correct and my understanding of Paul is incorrect, or Paul is incorrect.

In either case, Christ is superior.

If Christ and Paul appear to disagree to me, then you can say that my understanding of Paul may be incorrect. I am not offended.

It would help me if you can explain to me how Paul and Christ really do agree on these issues. I am happy with that.

But if any forum, or group of believers, did hold the teachings of Paul to be superior to the teachings of Christ, then the term "Christian" would not apply to them. And as a follower of Christ over anyone else, I would not belong there.

If a forum or group held that the men who selected the books in the Bible Canon to be superior to Christ, or held that certain books of the Bible Canon were superior to the teachings of Christ, then as a follower of Christ over anyone else, I would not belong there. So we agree there too.

You would have to prove these two points before I would leave. And I would. But I don't think you believe that. I hope not.

So, if I point out that Paul and Christ do not agree, it would be up to you to show me that they do. If it is hard to do, then perhaps our understanding of Paul is flawed.

-------------------------------

Back to the subject of your post:

Here is a good example of Gentile Christians keeping the sabbath as a day of worship:

Acts 16:(13) And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.

I always wonder why this verse is not given as much credibility as Acts 20:7, or 1 Cor 16:2. The reason is, these are the only two verses that give any credibility at all for meeting on Sunday.

I sincerely believe that these two verses (Acts 20:7, 1 Cor 16:2) concern the yearly Feast of First Fruits, and did not change the Sabbath to Sunday. There is no place in the Bible where God or Christ changed the Sabbath to Sunday.

And I believe that the early church did not have the authority on its own, to change the Sabbath to another day, without the clear instruction of Christ or YHVH. The Catholic church does claim this authority.

What do you think? Does the church have the authority to change the Sabbath to another day?

--------------------------------------------

My hope is not cause controversy, but to encourage you to study so that you can properly address my arguments.

If I am in agreement with everything you already know, you won't learn anything from me. Iron sharpens iron, but only if the iron has a rough edge on it, like a file. Our differences are the "rough edges" that makes us sharp.

In that, I make my comments are in Christian love, and the hope of providing a different viewpoint to create a good discussion.

Blessings to you.

John
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

One man esteems one day as better than another, while another man esteems all days alike. Let every one be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. Romans 14:5-6
I observe Sunday as my day of rest as unto the Lord. I'm fully convinced in my own mind as this text says we should be and that one day in seven is for rest. I go along with millions of other believers that Sunday is a good day for this. Others may chose another day and what is important is observing it unto the Lord. In my mind - case closed.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit