Observing the Sabbath

General Christian Theology
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Observing the Sabbath

Post by Adam »

In the New Testament, we find that Jesus worshipped on the Sabbath. And although he challenged the traditions held by the Pharisees about proper Sabbath observance, Jesus does not do away with the Sabbath. Similarly, we find that Paul would go to synagogues on the Sabbath to proclaim Christ. Yet, we also know from the testimony of the early church that Christians early on began meeting on Sundays. We also see hints of this in the New Testament:

"On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight." - Acts 20:7

"On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come." - 1 Cor 16:2

"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet" Rev 1:10

However, I don't find any clear teaching in the New Testament that we should no longer observe the Sabbath. Jesus corrects misconceptions about the Sabbath, stating that it was created for people and not people for the Sabbath, but he never says that it should no longer be observed. The only references I know that could be used to justify doing away with the Sabbath are Hebrews 4:9-10 and Colossians 2:16.

"So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his." - Hebrew 4:9-10

"Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath." - Colossians 2:16

So, my questions are: Does your church community see itself as observing the Sabbath? If so, how is the Sabbath observed? Is it only by worshipping on Sunday? Or is it also by abstaining from work and resting? If your church community does not see itself as observing the Sabbath, what are the justifications for not observing it?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Observing the Sabbath

Post by Josh »

The Sabbath was a commandment given to the Israelites as part of God's covenant with them, and is not really something that can be separated out. God never had any expectations on other people groups to observe the Sabbath. He did have other expectations on all of Noah's descendants to obey the commandments he gave Noah, from which the Sabbath was conspicuously absent.

I am not Jewish or an Israelite, and I am not part of the original people group of the "lost sheep of the house of Israel" Jesus came to reach. I am "grafted in", am a Gentile, and I feel I do have a responsibility to take up my cross and follow Jesus and be his disciple.

Jesus told us quite a few things about following him. But special festivals and observances weren't one of them. He did tell us that as often as we celebrate communion, we remember him. He also told us to wash one another's feet.

The apostles in turn recorded lots of what was going on with early Christians trying to follow Jesus, both Jews and Gentiles. Christianity never had an expectation on Gentiles to follow the entire Old Testament law, or even parts of it. Galatians reserves harsh words for those who thought Gentiles needed to follow the Old Testament law of circumcision (which is in no way separable from the Old Testament laws about the Sabbath). Paul became very clear in Romans 14 that one man regards some days as holy, but another regards them all as alike, and that both ways to observe one's traditions and transform one's culture to fit Christianity are acceptable.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Now, an Anabaptist approach to scripture is that there are biblical principles we can apply to our lives. We take a lot of inspiration from the original act of creation. We see the order men and women were created in, and think that's important. We also see that God decided to rest after working for six days.

So we do think about how we can honour God on one day of the week. One way we do this as Christians is to gather for worship, and to avoid engaging in doing business so that we won't be distracted. I like to dedicate my Sundays to finding ways to serve others, but not to do things that earn me money or to get my shopping done.

But it doesn't matter what day this is. I don't think God particularly cares if we do it on the day called "Saturday", the day called "Sunday", or if we reckon our days as starting at sundown, or as starting at 12:01 AM, or as starting when we wake up. Nor does God care if we reckon our days based on when sundown is in Jerusalem. And there's nothing in scripture to really indicate that God expects Gentiles to do such.

I spent a lot of time around people who do keep the whole law, and are very careful to "keep the Sabbath holy".
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

The laws around the Sabbath and "keeping it holy" are clearly very specific not just to the Israelites, but to the specific time and place when they lived:
Moses assembled the whole community of the Israelites and said to them, "These are the things that the Lord has commanded you to do. In six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there must be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of complete rest to the Lord. Anyone who does work on it will be put to death. You must not kindle a fire in any of your homes on the Sabbath day."
I don't think Jesus wants us to keep the Sabbath day holy by finding anyone who works on the Sabbath and putting them to death.

I also don't think that God is really honoured when we go to great lengths not to light a fire on the Sabbath. But many people do just that. I haven't found that God is really honoured by having elevators that stop on every floor on the Sabbath instead of having a button you can press to call the elevator, but that's exactly what people who keep the Sabbath do.

I respect their zeal to observe the Sabbath, but I don't think Christians are called to do things like that. It's certainly never reflected in New Testament scripture.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Adam wrote:In the New Testament, we find that Jesus worshipped on the Sabbath. And although he challenged the traditions held by the Pharisees about proper Sabbath observance, Jesus does not do away with the Sabbath. Similarly, we find that Paul would go to synagogues on the Sabbath to proclaim Christ. Yet, we also know from the testimony of the early church that Christians early on began meeting on Sundays. We also see hints of this in the New Testament:

"On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight." - Acts 20:7

"On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come." - 1 Cor 16:2

"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet" Rev 1:10

However, I don't find any clear teaching in the New Testament that we should no longer observe the Sabbath. Jesus corrects misconceptions about the Sabbath, stating that it was created for people and not people for the Sabbath, but he never says that it should no longer be observed. The only references I know that could be used to justify doing away with the Sabbath are Hebrews 4:9-10 and Colossians 2:16.

"So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his." - Hebrew 4:9-10

"Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath." - Colossians 2:16

So, my questions are: Does your church community see itself as observing the Sabbath? If so, how is the Sabbath observed? Is it only by worshipping on Sunday? Or is it also by abstaining from work and resting? If your church community does not see itself as observing the Sabbath, what are the justifications for not observing it?
My own perception: the sabbath observance on Sunday is in line "new wine in new wine skins".

In Catholic World we observe the sabbath on the day that we believe Jesus rose from the dead, the first day of the week. Like the First Century Jews, we see the day starting at sundown (Saturday evening) and ending on Sunday at sundown.

We do view it as a day of resting by attending Church as well as spending time with family in prayer and recreation.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Adam wrote:In the New Testament, we find that Jesus worshipped on the Sabbath. And although he challenged the traditions held by the Pharisees about proper Sabbath observance, Jesus does not do away with the Sabbath. Similarly, we find that Paul would go to synagogues on the Sabbath to proclaim Christ. Yet, we also know from the testimony of the early church that Christians early on began meeting on Sundays. We also see hints of this in the New Testament:

I personally feel that it would be better to observe the 'Sabbath' on the day we consider to be really the Sabbath, Friday starting at sundown where ever you are. (There is no indication in the Scripture that Jews in exile in the era before Christ ever calculated what time it was in Jerusalem.) That said, I will also say that it is more important to me to worship together with my fellow believers than it is to maintain some sort of 'correctness' on this question.

But I'm also not convinced that "Christians early on began meeting on Sundays", depending, of course, on what is meant by "early on". The Acts 20:7 case is, as you do represent it, descriptive, not proscriptive. Paul & company were traveling through, had spent a week there, and were planning to leave in the morning. I suspect that they would have gathered to hear him speak one more time no matter what day it happened to be. Also, if the Jewish reckoning of when a day begins is used, it was then most likely shortly after sundown on the Sabbath when they gathered together to break bread. Paul may have been in the Jewish synagogue prior to this meeting, then afterwards they came together just as Christ followers.
It seems to me that the I Corinthians text is Paul telling them to individually set aside the portion of their income that they intend to contribute for the love offering for the Jewish believers who were experiencing famine conditions. I don't think there is an assumption in the text that they were meeting for worship at the same time.
The phrase "The Lord's day" is now commonly used to refer to Sunday, but are we not possibly projecting our current definition back on that term?
But all in all, your comments at the end are, in my understanding, the most important. Not that we must slavishly inject our day of worship with all of the proscriptions of the Law regarding the Sabbath, but also not treat it like it is OUR 'day of rest', and forget the latter part - "unto the LORD".
As Josh says, I agree that we should set aside our own work, but at the same time be willing to serve others, even if it involves what some would frown on as 'work'. It's not WHAT you are doing, but FOR WHOM. I do also agree that abstaining from shopping is a good thing, because doing so requires someone else to work on that day, and it is a self-focused activity. (Unless we are shopping for something needed by another person, which we intend to give to them.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ultimately the question here is if believers should reckon time, dates, etc. like we think Jewish people used to thousands of years ago.

I don't see any evidence Jesus taught that and certainly none Paul did.

But if a group of people want to do that, that's fine.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I like the order that results from having a day set aside that is accepted by so many people in the western world. Imagine the chaos if each group or country decided to choose the day that they felt comes closest to following the Biblical pattern. And with no day set aside, with each of us choosing which day we wanted to honour or not, worship and fellowship would suffer.
0 x
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

Adam wrote: So, my questions are: Does your church community see itself as observing the Sabbath? If so, how is the Sabbath observed? Is it only by worshipping on Sunday? Or is it also by abstaining from work and resting? If your church community does not see itself as observing the Sabbath, what are the justifications for not observing it?
Yes, we keep the Sabbath starting Friday at evening until Saturday at evening. We don't work to make money on this day, but if someone in our community has a problem, we will help them pull their ox out of the ditch on the Sabbath. It is not bondage, but a day of relaxation. When I had a pool, I would float in it on Sabbath, and try to imagine how anyone could think I was in bondage on the Sabbath day while floating in the pool. Several of my sons and their friends are going to walk to a waterfall today on the Sabbath, it is absolutely beautiful there.

On Friday nights we have a family Bible study after we eat supper together. We stay up late and talk. Last night (Friday night) we went to a community bonfire and sat around and had a great time. This morning, we all slept late, and did absolutely nothing. I played piano for some time today, and I really need to get back playing my violin. Some of my son's friends came over, and they played the piano better than I could. Sabbath is a great time for music.

On some Saturday afternoons, we will get together with another family, or more, and have a common meal / fellowship dinner. The dinner is dedicated to Christ, and is truly His supper, in remembrance of Him.

Since today is the Sabbath, I will probably spend the rest of it laying down in the grass, and falling asleep under the blue sky. We raise sheep, so if I can't sleep, I will just count them. I put bells on the sheep to find them, but it sounds like a beautiful wind chime when they walk or feed. The wind in the trees, the green grass, it is all so beautiful what God has made for us to enjoy. That is what the Sabbath is all about.

Tomorrow is Sunday, and it is back to work on the farm and the business. I will feel so refreshed. I tried for a time to go to a Sunday church and keep a Saturday sabbath, but it was impossible to get any work done. But for anyone that will rest one day a week, whatever day that they can, they will be blessed. They cannot shut down hospitals on Sabbath, so someone has to work there on Saturday. Likewise, we do not mind working on Sunday for those that keep their day of rest on Sunday.

Blessings,

John
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I think of the Sabbath and the Lord's Day as two separate days. In the New Testament, Gentiles were never commanded to observe the Sabbath. This was not one of the things mentioned in Acts 15. Jewish Christians continued to observe the Sabbath.

The New Testament doesn't spend much effort on Saturday versus Sunday for worship. In Revelation 1:10, John refers to "the Lord's Day" (ἐν τῇ κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ). Like the Lord's Supper, the Lord's Day implies a day that belongs to the Lord, holy to the Lord. In modern Greek, this word means Sunday, and it clearly means Sunday by the end of the Second Century - it is never used earlier in a way that implies it is Saturday. The Didache (AD 90?) uses this term here, making it clear that this is the day Christians worshipped:
Didache wrote:Chapter 14. Christian Assembly on the Lord's Day. But every Lord's day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one who is at odds with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned. For this is that which was spoken by the Lord: "In every place and time offer to me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, says the Lord, and my name is wonderful among the nations."
There are at least a few passages in the New Testament that may indicate this was the first day of the week (Sunday):
Acts 20:27 wrote:On the first day of the week, we assembled to break bread. Paul spoke to them, and since he was about to depart the next day, he extended his message until midnight.
1 Corinthians 16:2 wrote:On the first day of the week, each of you is to set something aside and save in keeping with how he prospers, so that no collections will need to be made when I come.
In the writings of the early church, the earliest text I know that explicitly addresses this is Justin Martyr's Apology (155-157 AD):
Justin Martyr wrote:And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?