Disordered Cults

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Disordered Cults

Post by MaxPC »

Jim Jones; Waco; we've heard about these groups periodically in the news.

1. What are some of the general warning signs of a disordered cult that you've seen?
2. Are there warning signs that a person is trying to form a cult around himself/herself?
NOTE: please avoid bashing other denominations. Am just interested in the warning signs.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Re: Disordered Cults

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote:Jim Jones; Waco; we've heard about these groups periodically in the news.

1. What are some of the general warning signs of a disordered cult that you've seen?

2. Are there warning signs that a person is trying to form a cult around himself/herself?

NOTE: please avoid bashing other denominations. Am just interested in the warning signs.
A third question:
3. If you see a friend getting involved with a disordered cult, how would you try to help him/her?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Really controlling people who assert their authority over others without love.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:Really controlling people who assert their authority over others without love.
Authorities who never admit mistakes or repent of sins. Unwillingness to have their claims questioned or to discuss things to see if they are true.

Taking offense when someone asks if something is true rather than providing information. Not correcting things like falsified pictures on websites when they are pointed out. Doubling down on this kind of thing, taking offense that anyone would dare question something even when it has been clearly shown to be false.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:3. If you see a friend getting involved with a disordered cult, how would you try to help him/her?
I was part of a very zealous church that became a cult over time. I would focus on two things: truth and love. I think of cults as groups that manipulate people to get control over them. Truth and love are both dangerous to a cult.

Being vulnerable to the truth is an important protection. As our church slid in the direction of a cult, leaders insulated themselves from questions, and insisted that their interpretation of Scripture were correct without allowing them to be questioned - while saying some very questionable things. Truth was determined by their authority, not by normal channels of truth. I think most of us knew that some of these things were suspect, at least at some level.

Recognizing how biblical love works is another important protection. Cults are about manipulating people, guilting people, playing games that put someone into a bad position if they don't go along. They are not about sacrificial love for each other, especially not love that requires the leaders to sacrifice. The power differential between leaders and followers is important to a cult, so they avoid things that put people on the same level and make them vulnerable to each other.

So I would try to help them recognize what truth is and what love is, and to steer them toward places where they can find these things. But it's a slow process. People in a cult are often very committed, it is a deep part of their identity.
Last edited by Bootstrap on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote:
Josh wrote:Really controlling people who assert their authority over others without love.
Authorities who never admit mistakes or repent of sins. Unwillingness to have their claims questioned or to discuss things to see if they are true.

Taking offense when someone asks if something is true rather than providing information. Not correcting things like falsified pictures on websites when they are pointed out. Doubling down on this kind of thing, taking offense that anyone would dare question something even when it has been clearly shown to be false.
Let's see, is this about the 50th time you have let all of us know how you feel about Max? :roll:
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

#2 Leadership with no accountability, without transparency.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Started by disgruntled formers of other recognized denominations-or churches-
I'm thinking of the cult that was started by the excommunicated Amish man-

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/ ... -15-years/
0 x
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

From what I have been taught general signs are:

- Cutting people off completely from family and friends not within the group.
- Not easy to leave when ready or extreme social and economic consequences if you do.
- Willing to separate families within the group if lets say a spouse begins to question too much.
- Rules or practices that benefit man's sinful nature. Using young women for unsavory things, taking advantage of people's finances, etc.

Leaders tend to give followers the impression:

- They alone can save you or lead you in the right direction.
- They have some kind of secret direct line to God and have special revelations that are not known yet.

Leadership and organizational structure:

- One leader or a few that might be all related.
- Leadership passed down through relation.
- Members do not have a vote on what happens.

How to help someone:

- Listen
- Do not speak out negatively against the group. Use wisdom here. Most people probably end up cutting off family because the think they are trying to hold them back just like Pastor said they would. Constant arguments about their decision just achieves what the group wants.
- Keep communication open. You want them to know they have somewhere to turn when things go bad.

My instinct tells me that most groups do not start off with the obvious signs and this happens over time. Most people would not join something that is obviously a cult. A group probably starts off with good intentions but the sinful nature of man gets in the way. Since, the devil is a deceiver they manipulate people gradually into things that they would be willing to do.

It is sad how these false shepherds lead flocks astray.
It is also sad how these situations have caused people to be wary of church or different religious groups that are not what most are used to.
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:#2 Leadership with no accountability, without transparency.
RZehr, I agree about the transparency. What model of accountability would be helpful?

:up: Good list, Telebody. I'm going to add a variant the CC has had to deal with: a person who was a part of a recognized organization but who formed a special group around himself. This happened in recent history and he was excommunicated.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)