Disordered Cults

General Christian Theology
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Re: Disordered Cults

Post by Pelerin »

MaxPC wrote: All cults are like that. I call it spiritual carnage with a devastating effect on souls. Cult groups can be found in every denomination too and only seem to last less than 50 years.
If they last more than fifty years, we stop calling them a cult and just call them the [Founder’s Name] Conference.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

You're not right, but you're not wrong. I see where you're coming from, though.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote:You're not right, but you're not wrong. I see where you're coming from, though.
i’m so glad you’re back. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Bumping this thread because of the many excellent posts and they're well worth revisiting. I've noticed in times of confusion and scandal, it becomes easier for people to seek stability by getting involved with a pseudo-messiah or a cult.

What are the warning signs that a disordered cult is beginning to form?

What are the signs of a cult leader personality?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: What are the warning signs that a disordered cult is beginning to form?

The top things that come to mind are leaders who are narcistic and controlling.

Also- a trait that I have seen too many times.... the more you're told that you are loved and they want you there, the less chance of it being true!!

Don't tell me, show me.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I haven't read the entire article, but this list seems on target:
Cults usually exhibit most or all of the following characteristics, in extreme degree and without the presence of cultural checks and balances:

1. A rigid belief system that cannot be questioned
2. A charismatic, authoritarian leader who claims to have a new truth or vision and who exercises considerable control over the members
3. Isolation from nonmembers and families of origin, imposed by lifestyle, communal living, or the group’s belief that contact with nonmembers is detrimental
4. A high-demand schedule with much time spent in group-centered activities, such as meditation and chanting, fund raising, proselytizing, and religious study. Extreme peer pressure urges conformity, and nonconformists may be shunned or expelled.
5. Deceptive recruitment tactics; extreme emotional manipulation of members; privileges granted to the leader, but denied to members; and the expectation that members relinquish all financial assets to the group.

Be careful applying these criteria. Each carries an element of control, but none is necessarily harmful by itself. Some, like charisma, are admired in other settings.

Cults are usually religious, but notable examples are not, such as extremist political cults, with or without a religious bias; some large group-awareness training and psychotherapy groups; and some pyramid and multilevel marketing groups.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote:
MaxPC wrote: What are the warning signs that a disordered cult is beginning to form?

The top things that come to mind are leaders who are narcistic and controlling.

Also- a trait that I have seen too many times.... the more you're told that you are loved and they want you there, the less chance of it being true!!

Don't tell me, show me.
I've also seen that coupled with "we want you here but not those other guys because ... (whatever the reason)". The idea being to make you feel like one of the "elect".
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:I haven't read the entire article, but this list seems on target:
Cults usually exhibit most or all of the following characteristics, in extreme degree and without the presence of cultural checks and balances:

1. A rigid belief system that cannot be questioned
2. A charismatic, authoritarian leader who claims to have a new truth or vision and who exercises considerable control over the members
3. Isolation from nonmembers and families of origin, imposed by lifestyle, communal living, or the group’s belief that contact with nonmembers is detrimental
4. A high-demand schedule with much time spent in group-centered activities, such as meditation and chanting, fund raising, proselytizing, and religious study. Extreme peer pressure urges conformity, and nonconformists may be shunned or expelled.
5. Deceptive recruitment tactics; extreme emotional manipulation of members; privileges granted to the leader, but denied to members; and the expectation that members relinquish all financial assets to the group.

Be careful applying these criteria. Each carries an element of control, but none is necessarily harmful by itself. Some, like charisma, are admired in other settings.

Cults are usually religious, but notable examples are not, such as extremist political cults, with or without a religious bias; some large group-awareness training and psychotherapy groups; and some pyramid and multilevel marketing groups.
Seems like a significant charge could be placed against nearly every conservative Christian group based on this list. I'd disagree with such a claim, though, as such a spectrum of motivation and Spirit can underlie plenty of these.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do