Easter ham or Passover lamb?

General Christian Theology
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Easter ham or Passover lamb?

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:
silentreader wrote:shunga-flaesh.
I can follow only about 1/2 of this poem ... can someone help translate?

pennagermanpoems00mill_0044.jpg
Well Boot, nobody else seems to want to do this, so I'll give it a shot.
From the phonetics I think this is a slightly different dialect than I am used to, I would guess maybe an American Amish.
Some of the words are unknown to me, so I made some assumptions, some of which I'm sure are wrong, just as in the rest of my theology. My translation is a blend of open literal and paraphrase with some wild guessing thrown in.

But here goes:

The music of summer is played,
The gun hangs still on the wall,
And there is no life in the land,
We don't know how to feel.

Then at last the butcher comes,
And carries a (da-ya) in his fist.
And as he jumps and tears around,
It causes dead pigs.

He makes many dead and to be hung,
He runs into the manure-yard,
And soon all the farmer's hogs
Are by the gallows washed.

That means ham roasts and bacon,
And mince pie with wild apples in it,
And pork bellies with bristles on it,
And other dirt.

In the first verse I took shad-harn to mean something capable of harm, (shad) so I chose gun, to say that hunting season is over as well.
In the second verse the only meaning I'm aware of for da-ya would be door, but that doesn't make sense in context. I presume it refers to a knife of some kind, but I don't know.
In the fourth verse, shunga-flaesh is usually a smoked pork butt or shoulder roast, I chose ham.
For shpeck, I chose bacon, but it could be some other fried high fat delicacy.
For fenca-ecka, I presumed it referred, in context, to apples from wild apple trees in the fence corners or along the fence lines.
Tsiderle is still a mystery to me, it seems like something that might shiver like jello, but I don't know.
HO had suggested leva-vasht, that's very possible, somewhat arbitrarily I chose pork bellies to help with the bristles.

There are people out there who would know this stuff a lot better than I do.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Sure would be nice if this forum would stick to the English language so we all could understand what is being posted. :?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Sudsy wrote:Sure would be nice if this forum would stick to the English language so we all could understand what is being posted. :?
I'm not sure I always understand everything of the English language stuff that gets posted.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Sudsy wrote:Sure would be nice if this forum would stick to the English language so we all could understand what is being posted. :?
I'm not sure I always understand everything of the English language stuff that gets posted.
Yes, me too. But some of us were raised to think it rude to talk in front of others in a language they can't understand.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Sudsy wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
Yes, me too. But some of us were raised to think it rude to talk in front of others in a language they can't understand.
Say what? You're against tongues?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

When discussing what part of the pig traditional Mennonites eat and how, I'm not sure doing it in English is the best idea. It might exclude people more than discussing it in Deitsch.

Though I very much appreciated the translation! That was fun.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I understand some of this stuff better than the Greek that is shared here sometimes. Leva vasht is similar to head cheese. Hassa spoua is my attempt at writing "bunny trails."
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

silentreader wrote:
Sudsy wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote: I'm not sure I always understand everything of the English language stuff that gets posted.
Say what? You're against tongues?
I think Paul said if there's no interpreter to not speak in tongues. I guess we're OK now since somebody took care to interpret (which I appreciated). I couldn't make heads, tongues, or tails out of the original poem.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote:I couldn't make heads, tongues, or tails out of the original poem.
I have to admit, that pun isn't offal. Unlike some other things discussed in this thread ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?