Easter ham or Passover lamb?

General Christian Theology
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Easter ham or Passover lamb?

Post by gcdonner »

Is Jesus really associated with Easter in scripture or is he associated with Passover?
How does the following quote apply to the church celebrations of this time of the year?
Mar_7:8  For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Easter ham or Passover lamb?

Post by appleman2006 »

Oh but Easter is a good KJV word. ;)

Once heard a KJV only Baptist pastor do literary gymnastics trying to defend that one.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

appleman2006 wrote:Oh but Easter is a good KJV word. ;)

Once heard a KJV only Baptist pastor do literary gymnastics trying to defend that one.
I'm glad you understand that "Easter" is a mis-translation (intentional) of the word pascha, which means, "Passover".
I wonder how many other folks here on MN understand that?
Act 12:4  And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. (KJV) 
(NASB)  When he had seized him, he put him in prison, delivering him to four squads of soldiers to guard him, intending after the Passover to bring him out before the people.
(KJV+)  AndG2532 when he(G3739) had apprehendedG4084 him, he putG5087 him inG1519 prison,G5438 and deliveredG3860 him to fourG5064 quaternionsG5069 of soldiersG4757 to keepG5442 him;G846 intendingG1014 afterG3326 EasterG3957 to bring him forthG321 G846 to theG3588 people.G2992
G3957
πάσχα
pascha
Thayer Definition:
1) the paschal sacrifice (which was accustomed to be offered for the people’s deliverance of old from Egypt)
2) the paschal lamb, i.e. the lamb the Israelites were accustomed to slay and eat on the fourteenth day of the month of Nisan (the first month of their year) in memory of the day on which their fathers, preparing to depart from Egypt, were bidden by God to slay and eat a lamb, and to sprinkle their door posts with its blood, that the destroying angel, seeing the blood, might pass over their dwellings; Christ crucified is likened to the slain paschal lamb
3) the paschal supper
4) the paschal feast, the feast of the Passover, extending from the 14th to the 20th day of the month Nisan
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

gcdonner wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:Oh but Easter is a good KJV word. ;)

I'm glad you understand that "Easter" is a mis-translation (intentional) of the word pascha, which means, "Passover".
I wonder how many other folks here on MN understand that?
Act 12:4  And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. (KJV) 
(NASB)  When he had seized him, he put him in prison, delivering him to four squads of soldiers to guard him, intending after the Passover to bring him out before the people.
(KJV+)  AndG2532 when he(G3739) had apprehendedG4084 him, he putG5087 him inG1519 prison,G5438 and deliveredG3860 him to fourG5064 quaternionsG5069 of soldiersG4757 to keepG5442 him;G846 intendingG1014 afterG3326 EasterG3957 to bring him forthG321 G846 to theG3588 people.G2992
G3957
πάσχα
pascha
Thayer Definition:
1) the paschal sacrifice (which was accustomed to be offered for the people’s deliverance of old from Egypt)
2) the paschal lamb, i.e. the lamb the Israelites were accustomed to slay and eat on the fourteenth day of the month of Nisan (the first month of their year) in memory of the day on which their fathers, preparing to depart from Egypt, were bidden by God to slay and eat a lamb, and to sprinkle their door posts with its blood, that the destroying angel, seeing the blood, might pass over their dwellings; Christ crucified is likened to the slain paschal lamb
3) the paschal supper
4) the paschal feast, the feast of the Passover, extending from the 14th to the 20th day of the month Nisan
Somehow it kind of seems a little twisted to me to supposedly celebrate the resurrection with a ham dinner at 'Easter'.
But that fits well with some of my other twisted thinking.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I too have some issues with "Easter".
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Reminds me of a favourite in the church I grew up in -

Christ our Redeemer died on the cross,
Died for the sinner, paid all his due;
Sprinkle your soul with the blood of the Lamb,
And I will pass, will pass over you.

Refrain:
When I see the blood,
When I see the blood,
When I see the blood,
I will pass, I will pass over you.

Chiefest of sinners, Jesus will save;
As He has promised, that He will do;
Wash in the fountain opened for sin,

Judgment is coming, all will be there,
Each one receiving justly his due;
Hide in the saving sin-cleansing blood,

O great compassion! O boundless love!
O loving-kindness, faithful and true!
Find peace and shelter under the blood,
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Great observations, but it begs the question, why do many Christians still call the death and resurrection of Christ, "Easter" and why do many traditionally eat ham for their Easter meal?

I wonder what God thinks of it, and specifically Christ himself who was/is our Passover Lamb? I have yet to find an Easter ham in scripture, have you?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I eat steak :D Rare treat.

The Catholic Hispanics call it Pascua (related to Pascha).

When Catholics want to be "Catholic Correct" we call it Holy Week (Palm Sunday - Resurrection Sunday.) Then there's the Triduum (3 days in Latin) during Holy Week which spans from sundown Wednesday evening to sundown Saturday evening.
The Exultet is sung a capella on Saturday at sundown - my favorite Mass music of the year :D
Exultet https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VVlOGED_avw
Last edited by MaxPC on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

We learned of Pascha from the Orthodox- it is the term they commonly use, and they also don't always celebrate the same 'date' as the west- but they have always called it Pascha (Passover)- and here is an article with a bit of history, explanation & also what they have to say about the word Easter- before exploring EO, we were unfamiliar with celebrating Pascha-
We prefer Lamb- for obvious reasons-

https://orthodoxwiki.org/Pascha

historical connection to Jewish Passover: https://orthodoxwiki.org/Passover
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I like celebrating our Lord's resurrection. I speak English, and we call this celebration Easter.

I don't think specific pronunciations of words matter. With that said, I do pronounce פסח properly when speaking with a native Hebrew speaker, out of respect, as I do other Hebrew words, particularly for things like holidays or שבת.

Jesus declared all foods clean. As a Christian, I eat pork and other meats. I have seen zero spiritual value to observing כשרות. I do see value in rejecting gluttony and drunkenness.

If pronunciations really are super important, then we'd all better start working on our gutterals. I have yet to hear anyone who thinks it's more holy to call Easter “pesach” actually pronounce it properly.
0 x