What is Worldliness ?

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

What is Worldliness ?

Post by Sudsy »

This thread is to discuss what is meant by worldliness.

Often when I hear the word worldliness used it often centers around what one wears, what one watches, what one listens to, and where one goes. But is that what worldliness is all about, a man-made list of “do’s and don’ts” or rather does worldliness center around where our focus and priorities lie ? Are our priorities set on the temporal (the things of the world) or the eternal (those things pertaining to spiritual life and godliness) ?

One definition describes it this way - 'concern with material values or ordinary life rather than a spiritual existence'.

I think it can make a difference whether I see myself as a body that has a spirit or a spirit residing temporarily in a body ?

Well, I'll leave it at that for the OP.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: What is Worldliness ?

Post by Soloist »

Worldliness in my mind is setting one's mind on things that do not glorify God or edify others. This extends to what one wears, watches and does.
Why do I wear what I wear? why do I eat what I eat? why do I watch what I watch?

Can you give me something that Hollywood has made that is completely redeemable without fault in the sight of God?

What clothes does our world make that glorifies God? there are some that don't detract for sure in this category, but the world is changing and finding modest clothing for my wife would be next to impossible shopping in worldly stores, let alone expensive.

Can I justify before God buying brand name clothing? a new car? what about entertainment? Do we set our minds on things above? or earthly? At the end of the day, these man made lists you refer to will always be man made but its an attempt to honor God in all our deeds.

Can we say one list fits all? no, but there are some things that one should never do as they directly go against God's word.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world.

You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans?

They said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.” It is these who cause divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Great thread, Sudsy. Soloist and Ernie summed up my thoughts for the most part.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote:Great thread, Sudsy. Soloist and Ernie summed up my thoughts for the most part.
Mine as well. Actually I didn't realize how worldly I was though until getting to know Anabaptist people and then Scriptures that SHOULD have applied to all aspects of my life, suddenly meant more.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

A few questions for more exploring -

Is it not subjective reasoning in determining how we keep from being worldly if it is not something explicily stated in scripture ? For instance, if one has set their mind on what is of eternal significance or what glorifies God, and yet owns a computer, can that be categorized as not being worldly ? Perhaps it can if we believe the investment involved is worth the God honoring activities we have on this computer. Others might say, it cannot.

Could being proud of our family members, being proud of our Christian faith group, being proud of our heritage, being proud of how we can out reason the next guy, being proud period in any area, all be areas of worldliness ?

As Ernie pointed us to the scriptures, is any quarreling we do (i.e. here on this forum), being worldly. Sounds to me that it could be. And it seems the apostle Paul sees this as spiritual immaturity. Possibly because, winning an argument, could be rooted in egotism (pride).

What if we are scoffers of how other believers attempt to avoid being worldly ? Could that be worldly ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Sudsy wrote:....
Often when I hear the word worldliness used it often centers around what one wears, what one watches, what one listens to, and where one goes. But is that what worldliness is all about, a man-made list of “do’s and don’ts” or rather does worldliness center around where our focus and priorities lie ? Are our priorities set on the temporal (the things of the world) or the eternal (those things pertaining to spiritual life and godliness) ? ....
I don't think things like those are themselves worldliness, although they may reveal worldliness. I agree that 'worldliness' is an inner attitude, worked out in our focus & priorities, sometimes resulting in behaviors which clearly portray the inner attitude, but not always.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Sudsy wrote:A few questions for more exploring -
Is it not subjective reasoning in determining how we keep from being worldly if it is not something explicily stated in scripture ?
How would the early church have been able to keep from being worldly before all the scriptures were written as we have them today?
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Worldliness is really not for one person to decide for himself. What I consider worldly is a lot different from what some others consider worldly. Some of it is undoubtedly influenced pretty much by my personal desires.

For instance, I consider the sports world to be pretty well out for the Christian. The whole foundation of the sports world is laid on greed, pride, and self exaltation. These are all things that are wrong from the Christian perspective as I view it.

The next person may say that sports aren't even mentioned in the Bible as being wrong. Furthermore, Paul takes some illustrations from the Olympics in his writing.

My belief is that a lot more things are mentioned, albeit indirectly, in the Bible than most Christians are ready to admit.

It's not really that simple, which is one reason that Anabaptists place the community on such a high level of responsibility. Personal preferences tend to get pushed into the background when a brotherhood talks about issues.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

lesterb wrote:For instance, I consider the sports world to be pretty well out for the Christian. The whole foundation of the sports world is laid on greed, pride, and self exaltation. These are all things that are wrong from the Christian perspective as I view it.

The next person may say that sports aren't even mentioned in the Bible as being wrong. Furthermore, Paul takes some illustrations from the Olympics in his writing.
But the bolded part assumes that the Bible is a handbook that lists everything that is wrong instead of a guide to tell us who Jesus wants us to become.

I contend that there are very different ways of reading the Bible and that the outcome is very different as well.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"