What is Worldliness ?

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: What is Worldliness ?

Post by Sudsy »

Here is an article describing what worldliness is all about. A concern beyond Anabaptism.

http://feasite.org/node/2238

If you don't care to read the whole article, read the bottom section on 'The Remedy for Worldliness' from this Fundamental Evangelistic point of view. I would think this is a common understanding of the remedy over worldliness that many if not most Anabaptists would have.

Agree or disagree ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote:Here is an article describing what worldliness is all about. A concern beyond Anabaptism.

http://feasite.org/node/2238

If you don't care to read the whole article, read the bottom section on 'The Remedy for Worldliness' from this Fundamental Evangelistic point of view. I would think this is a common understanding of the remedy over worldliness that many if not most Anabaptists would have.

Agree or disagree ?
This is a great piece of writing for anyone who has a fundamentalist way of thinking - so it would definitely appeal to many Anabaptists.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

lesterb wrote:[bible]pro 11,14[/bible]
In an abundance of counsellors, there can also be group failure!
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Hats Off wrote:
In an abundance of counselors, there can also be group failure!
Which means that it is always important to chose your group carefully in the first place. It may be necessary sometimes to change groups because of this. But it has to be a very careful process. Even then you need some good counselors.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

lesterb wrote:
Hats Off wrote:
In an abundance of counselors, there can also be group failure!
Which means that it is always important to chose your group carefully in the first place. It may be necessary sometimes to change groups because of this. But it has to be a very careful process. Even then you need some good counselors.
From my own experience: Careful and persistent prayer in the choosing of counselors as well as continued prayer for the counselors while they serve is a practice shared by those groups that seem to have wise counselors and good direction.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

lesterb wrote:Which means that it is always important to chose your group carefully in the first place. It may be necessary sometimes to change groups because of this. But it has to be a very careful process. Even then you need some good counselors.
Well said.

You can be solidly religious and worldly at the same time. You can learn to act the religious part in almost any religious tradition without cleaning the inside of the cup. And sometimes this affects leadership too. So I think you have to ask questions like:

- Is their love genuine?
- Are they holy?
- Are they Christlike?
- Are they wise?
- Are they peacemakers?
- Do their spiritual lives have direction?
- Do they have a solid grasp of Scripture?
- Do they have a living prayer life?
- Are they serving the brethren?
- Are they serving neighbors?
- How do they respond to correction?
- Are they scrupulous about the truth?

The same questions apply to all of us, of course, not just the leaders. But "do they seem really religious" is usually the wrong question to ask. Religion can often be quite worldly.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

Bootstrap wrote:
You can be solidly religious and worldly at the same time. You can learn to act the religious part in almost any religious tradition without cleaning the inside of the cup.

So, true! People see the outside and not the heart, 1 Samuel 16:7. Therefore, religion can become ritual... always doing the right thing at the right time without the heart behind it.

Worldliness is sin because we are born into the world/sin. As, we seek the kingdom of God we are leaving the sin/world behind. I do believe that there will be struggles as God works on us, and teaches us His ways but the goal is to bind the sin.

However, in order to bind sin/world, and turn from the fears and worries of the world we have to recognize it in the first place. Recognize, the differences between God's kingdom and the world.
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17