The Thief on the Cross

General Christian Theology
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: The Thief on the Cross

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I think this is an intensely beautiful verse and scene.. perhaps one of the most. It would be one thing for the Son of God to say this to a dying criminal, but the fact that he said it as he himself was being killed is yet another powerful testimony of who our Savior is. It touches me.

This verse is yet another chance to see into the heart of the one we follow, and I'd prefer not to get hung up on the semantics of it.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I think this is an intensely beautiful verse and scene.. perhaps one of the most. It would be one thing for the Son of God to say this to a dying criminal, but the fact that he said it as he himself was being killed is yet another powerful testimony of who our Savior is. It touches me.

This verse is yet another chance to see into the heart of the one we follow, and I'd prefer not to get hung up on the semantics of it.
Amen, and I agree- beautifully put.
This topic was started as it had come up in another thread-so as to not bunny trail that one-
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Chris wrote:Anabaptists are not Sola Scriptura, and while the gospels seem to conflict, we are free to make assumptions that "all are correct", and that each gospel was the "perfect testimony" of each author. While they do conflict, that's why we are blessed to have 4 synoptic gospels. :)

Most protestants are sola scriptura (reminder Anabaptist is not protestant), and that was invented by Martin Luther. Anabaptist authority is in God alone, and the bible is the "handbook".
Do all Anabaptist agree with this? Reason I ask, is so many things I had read they were against (ie. infant baptism) was because they couldn't find 'clear' evidence that infants were baptized-in Scripture.
If it is in God alone, wouldn't the different sects in Anabaptism look closer to belief and practice? From the beginning you had Hutterites which practiced different than Mennonites and then Amish who felt Mennonites had somewhat backslidden in certain areas- and now today so many sects & conferences it does seem confusing how the claim could be made that it is "God alone" as you say? Would God be directing so many, in so many different directions & practices? This is what really started perplexing us when we were seekers to Anabaptism for a few years-
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

We believe in a simple reading of scripture, particularly Jesus' words. We believe when we obey Jesus, we start to find out what God is like.

We have historically had a low view of excessive textual analysis of the Bible, which is what Luther did.
0 x