How do we read and use the Bible?

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: How do we read and use the Bible?

Post by Bootstrap »

Neto wrote:
MaxPC wrote:The struggle we tend to have within academia is to turn off our exegesis mindset and turn on our conversation with God (stop the teaching voice in our heads and turn on the listening and learning mode.)
As a Bible translator, I can REALLY identify with this, especially the part I underlined. (In translation work, it is the analytical nitty gritty work of small variations in meanings that can side-track an attempt to read for devotion sake. Even though I have not been doing translation work now for over 10 years, I still catch myself thinking, "Now how would I translate this into ____?" - instead of "How should knowing this change me?")
Amen.

But I also think there's a lot to be said for just swimming in the text and letting God figure out how to change me, letting the Spirit wash over me as I read. I may not instantly know how God wants to do that, Bible study is often about planting seed that will bear fruit later in ways I do not expect.

Prayerful reading is important. Time spent in Scripture is important. Being open and surrendered is important. The rest is often up to God.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

joshuabgood wrote:Seems right to me.

I think we should be careful though, as Paul exhorts, against getting too carried away with the "practical applications" - where the "practical applications" become too onerous.
Yes, we can attempt to keep from a laissez-faire attitude regarding applications of obedience to placing heavy, unnecessary yokes on other Christ followers.

And, imo, there are considerable inconsistencies, when certain things in the Bible are taken literal as musts to obey while other, just as literal in word meanings, are not to be taken that literal. Take for instance the word used for water baptism that means immersion. Some Anabaptists don't regard this as something to be strictly obeyed. And some obedience is thought to be strictly for that culture (i.e. foot washing) while others (i.e. head covering) are not. Just saying that we can use the Bible to create our own version of how we are to practise obedience. Then we get a group that thinks similar and add to the thousands of variations within Christianity. And behind all this, is it God driven or man driven. Me thinks, mostly man driven.

I can read the Bible as a rule book written by a strict Father who will be on my case whenever I sin or I can read it as a guideline from a loving Father who is concerned for my best and has given me a way to know what is best. A guideline that is not only best for us but what will reflect His glory through His child.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Ernie wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:39 pm Over the last ten years on MD and MN, I and others have often commented that many evangelicals read the Bible very differently from how early Anabaptists and early Christians commonly read the Bible.

It seems to me that rather than systematizing the content or reading it to see what is explicitly not forbidden,
:arrow: early Christians and early Anabaptists read the text with the goal of getting into the proper frame of mind to carry out God's will on the earth.

By absorbing the tenor of the New Testament, they believed they were in position to make applications to scripture that would be God-honoring. They didn't seem to avoid calling people to follow them as they followed Christ in places the scriptures didn't give specific direction.

This thread is to explore this subject further.

Just noticed this topic.
It’s been on my mind this year as i’ve “walked through” Catholic confirmation classes with my granddaughter.
The final class is complete. One thing that puzzles me is not once did the group take out their Bibles and read together.
Frequently, confirmands were told, “well, if you want to know more, look up” .. whatever passage, along with empathy that, “well, i know you’re not going to do that,” etc. and, moving the discussion/mostly lecture on.

There was a lot of talk about the Bible. Not actual reading the Bible.
There were mixed messages about how exciting+interesting the Bible is, tempered with messages of, “but we know you’re not going to read it.” :? i found it confusing. maybe even somewhat insulting. also, sad. they were told to google passages. not to “take out their Bibles” to read.

This is one experience, remote via zoom, i understand many teachers/leaders have had to adapt “on their feet.”
My impression is, reading the Bible is not a primary goal. i am grateful i was welcome to “audit” this class. a new experience for me.

- - -

Secondly, regarding the OP, on MD i learned there are Bibles written without chapter+verse, i have not seen one.
It makes me wonder how differently scriptures might read in this format? The earliest format.

Is this part of what Ernie is describing/questioning about how response has changed, is understood and lived?
It might be.

Is reading meant for parsing? Or understanding? (Intent, purpose of study, is important.)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN