Covid-19 Vaccines and Christian Ethics

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Covid-19 Vaccines and Christian Ethics

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:32 pm
So then they see those people in plain clothing and think, "those are the people who put us at risk by their behavior". And you will wonder, on forums, why some people see you that way, mystified, and consider it unjust. Maybe you will even feel persecuted.
That has yet to happen anywhere except this specific MennoNet forum from a few people with an authoritarian attitude.
I really doubt that's true. I suspect it's more likely that there are people who feel precisely this way, but you aren't hearing them because they wouldn't be able to say this to you. Look at the polling. Or talk to medical professionals when you make arrangements for your 90-year-old mother in rural Kentucky to live in an assisted living facility. Or talk to other senior citizens in the same area.

This may be a bit like talking to the Schwarzentruber about nighttime safety for buggies. They aren't interested in what others think. Of course, there are also political tribes who feel the same way, and talk show hosts who help them practice resentment day after day.

But it doesn't feel like basic courtesy to me.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:23 pm
nett wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:20 pm I believe masks are harmful to my own physical health, and harmful emotionally and spiritually to my community. Thankfully, our church leadership decided that we were free to not wear masks at church and in public, so that's what I'm going with. I believe the church's authority trumps the government's every time.
OK.

But if medically vulnerable people in your community have a bad impression of your church as a result, I can definitely see it from their side. That's not persecution, that's drawing conclusions from your behavior. And if they have studied the medical literature on masks, knowledgeable people might think masks protect them and will not harm you.

So then they see those people in plain clothing and think, "those are the people who put us at risk by their behavior". And you will wonder, on forums, why some people see you that way, mystified, and consider it unjust. Maybe you will even feel persecuted.

You are subject to your church's authority. If it were my church, I would probably advocate for a different decision.
Christians are not to live in fear, nor are they to look like they are living in fear. Empirical data has demonstrated that masks are completely useless, not a single study was able to show even the smallest improvement in outcomes, while a Danish study accidentally showed they significantly worsened outcomes.

A mask is a religious talisman to show that you fear disease, and beseech the gods of scientism to protect you.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:38 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:32 pm
That has yet to happen anywhere except this specific MennoNet forum from a few people with an authoritarian attitude.
I really doubt that's true. I suspect it's more likely that there are people who feel precisely this way, but you aren't hearing them because they wouldn't be able to say this to you. Look at the polling. Or talk to medical professionals when you make arrangements for your 90-year-old mother in rural Kentucky to live in an assisted living facility. Or talk to other senior citizens in the same area.
Considering it’s very rare to see someone wearing masks here, it’s safe to say very few people think masks are necessary. Very few people here care much. Certainly nobody has walked up and said something.
This may be a bit like talking to the Schwarzentruber about nighttime safety for buggies. They aren't interested in what others think. Of course, there are also political tribes who feel the same way, and talk show hosts who help them practice resentment day after day.

But it doesn't feel like basic courtesy to me.
Sorry you feel that way. I think it’s discourteous to tell millions of people their faces spread disease and need to be covered up. Isn’t that what the Taliban used to do? Require women to cover up their faces?

The only person who has tried to pressure people in my family to get vaccinated is my cousin, who wants my elderly dad to be vaccinated if he wants to see his elderly sister who has terminal cancer and is vaccinated. My parents don’t want to be vaccinated. That seems discourteous to me.

It’s very, very important to my parents that they not be forced to be vaccinated and they have made their wishes known to us children. That also means they want to avoid ending up in assisted living or nursing homes that would require that.
1 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

I'm posting this here, though I posted the link in my "Year of Living" thread.

It saddens me so very much how many "Christians", especially some people on Mennonet, are caught up in the conspiracy theories and contrariness and simple lies and misinformation (and lack of compassion and humility) over Covid.

The man who sang this traditional Xhosa prayer is a popular musician, Gilbert and Sullivan society member and trumpet player, he is also a Thoracic Surgeon and a compassionate loving Christian who loves the peoples of his nation who are struggling with this disease as we are here. He offered this to them as an encouragement.

We as followers of Jesus should humble ourselves and be thankful to God for the protection he gives and cooperate with one another to get over this. We who call ourselves disciples of Jesus and citizens of the Kingdom of God can do better.

The words:
Ndikhokhele Bawo, zundi kokhele (Lead me oh Father [Lead me])
Ndikhokhele mmeli wami (Lead me my savior)
Ezintsizini, Zalomhlaba Bawo (in all the sorrows of this world Father)
(Bawo, Bawo, Bawo) ( Father, Father, Father)
Bawo ndiyabonga (Father I thank you)
Ngoba wena usandigcinile (for you still protect/keep me)
Thaluthele thuze kwami (You calm all my fears) x2
(Bawo, bawo, bawo) ( Father, Father, Father)
Ngoba wena usandigcinile (for you still protect me)
Mmeli wami bawo uthaluthele thuze kwami (Father, Savior, you calm my fears)
4 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Wayne in Maine wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:15 pm I'm posting this here, though I posted the link in my "Year of Living" thread.

It saddens me so very much how many "Christians", especially some people on Mennonet, are caught up in the conspiracy theories and contrariness and simple lies and misinformation (and lack of compassion and humility) over Covid.

The man who sang this traditional Xhosa prayer is a popular musician, Gilbert and Sullivan society member and trumpet player, he is also a Thoracic Surgeon and a compassionate loving Christian who loves the peoples of his nation who are struggling with this disease as we are here. He offered this to them as an encouragement.

We as followers of Jesus should humble ourselves and be thankful to God for the protection he gives and cooperate with one another to get over this. We who call ourselves disciples of Jesus and citizens of the Kingdom of God can do better.
Are you saying disciples of Jesus and citizens of the Kingdom of God should ascribe to a particular ideology?
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Josh wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:15 pm
Wayne in Maine wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:15 pm I'm posting this here, though I posted the link in my "Year of Living" thread.

Are you saying disciples of Jesus and citizens of the Kingdom of God should ascribe to a particular ideology?
I will let you debate that.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:15 pm

I thought he was saying the OPPOSITE of that.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mennonitemom1
Affiliation: Christian

Post by mennonitemom1 »

Ernie wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:06 am So what do you do with the 75% of medications that are "God-made substances"? Are you more open to them as compared to the other 25%?
Yes, I have more confidence in medications made from natural substances....
I used to be diabetic and on blood pressure medicine and heart medicine.... now I am on vitamins and supplements, no more prescriptions..... I am almost a fruitarian now... although I still eat salads too....
0 x
mennonitemom1
Affiliation: Christian

Post by mennonitemom1 »

Wayne in Maine wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:15 pm

"conspiracy theories?!?" I'd love to hear what you consider to be a "conspiracy" "theory" ....
Some people would call Jesus a "conspiracy theorist" he said the ruler of this world was satan... and Paul said that principalities and wickedness in high places were what we "wrestle against.." Is Paul a conspiracy theorist too? would they be crucified today or be forced to take a shot?? something to think about....
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Wayne in Maine wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:15 pm We as followers of Jesus should humble ourselves and be thankful to God for the protection he gives and cooperate with one another to get over this. We who call ourselves disciples of Jesus and citizens of the Kingdom of God can do better.

The words:
Ndikhokhele Bawo, zundi kokhele (Lead me oh Father [Lead me])
Ndikhokhele mmeli wami (Lead me my savior)
Ezintsizini, Zalomhlaba Bawo (in all the sorrows of this world Father)
(Bawo, Bawo, Bawo) ( Father, Father, Father)
Ngoba wena usandigcinile (for you still protect/keep me)
Thaluthele thuze kwami (You calm all my fears) x2
(Bawo, bawo, bawo) ( Father, Father, Father)
Ngoba wena usandigcinile (for you still protect me)
Mmeli wami bawo uthaluthele thuze kwami (Father, Savior, you calm my fears)
This is great.

And yes, the ultimate in Christian ethics is to put our trust fully in Jesus, to come to him in thanks and worship, and to serve others.
2 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?