Matt. 6:5-6

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Matt. 6:5-6

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:We know that in Acts the Christians prayed corporately.
Agreed. Also: when a group is standing around in conversation with each other, sometimes a prayer is asked for and the others will promise to pray. They might even pray together right there and then, laying hands on the person.

Matthew 18:20 is another aspect to group prayer.

In a small group such as this forum, it's entirely appropriate to pray for each other, especially when someone needs the reassurance and comfort of fellow believers. I don't think Jesus was referring to that kind of prayer between friends as a problem. He was referring to the practice of going out among public strangers to create an impression for a self-serving means to an end.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:
lesterb wrote:I would consider this passage to be another example of "Hebrew Hyperbole". In other words, Jesus is making a point, like he did when he told people to pluck out their eye or cut off their hand. The point? Don't use prayer to leave a good impression.
How come we don't approach Matthew 5:31 & 32 this way? (Some Christians do, but in my experience that approach leads to finding ways out of obeying any of the Sermon on the Mount at all, except when convenient.)
Very few passages stand entirely on its own. By comparing them, or taking them in context, etc., we can normally see which way to take a passage. Jesus himself gave the illustration of two men praying on the street. One prayed to be heard, and the other prayed from his heart. One was justified, and one wasn't. Comparing passages like that with this passage helps us to see how Jesus meant it.

The same is true of Matthew 5:32, 32. There are enough other passages that speak about this that we can see how Jesus intended it to be understood.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

I would view Acts 4:23 - 31 as an illustration of corporate prayer. It is written here as if they all prayed in unison, but I believe that this passage describes what we often see -- one person leading out, and the others praying with that person in their heart.

I wonder though, how many times our corporate prayers get the kind of response that this one did. Maybe that is an indicator that at least some of our prayers aren't totally effective.
0 x