The Lent Fast

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

The Lent Fast

Post by Valerie »

Last week my sister (in Southern California) shared with me how area churches (San Diego County) are joining together, regardless of denominational walls how they will be doing a 40 day fast.

Yesterday on Christian radio, the Lent fast/season came up. Apparently a poll was taken suggesting only 3 in 10 Christians join in the Lent Fast prior to Pascha (Easter). People were invited to call in to share their opinions and also share if they do the Lent Fast and how they observe it. I really appreciated what a lot of people shared.

One area the Amish, my first introduction to Anabaptist, inspired me was that they seemed to adhere to the Scriptural encouragement to fast (although to not be 'showy' about it.

Fasting isn't something that was talked about a lot in the churches we've always attended- although there were certain times of fasting our church would do and have a prayer summit to join together to seek God's face/heart- at that time.

It prompted me to want to do a poll and start a thread on the Lent Fast- one reason is, because as a 'Protestant' I had never been encouraged to really read early church writers/fathers- but years ago when I bought David Bercot's "A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs" my eyes were opened to many things I wrongly assumed!

I don't have time to figure out how to do a 'poll' on this, but I thought since Christian radio had discussed it, and Lent has officially began (For the Orthodox it began Monday, Catholics & other Protestants it began yesterday) I would like to do a poll here & combine the topic of Lent Fasting with fasting in general. Perhaps it doesn't interest anyone. Fasting is an area of my walk that reveals how weak I really am in the flesh. It's been an area that has discouraged me because I have such a hard time figuring it out- how to really humble myself the way the Lord desires, in this way.

Anyone else interested in this at all? I know a lot of lurkers may partake in the poll without commenting. This would not be an opportunity to criticize or boast but to humbly seek the Lord together about what it means and does not mean to fast-

Thanks!

I can't get back to this until later this evening
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The Lent Fast

Post by Josh »

Fasting seems like a significant part of Jewish practice in the time of Jesus, and seems a sensible part of a Christian life, although it should not be done in public in order to win accolades from men (much like prayer). In scripture, prayer and fasting are often associated.

I don't see any example in the New Testament to fast at specific times, though, and particularly there is no discussion of fasting during Lent. I don't begrudge those who wish to do that, but don't think it is a biblical tradition.

For me personally, observing the church calendar and observing Lent and Advent were things I did when I wasn't a Christian but attended church. It was surprising to me and helped open my eyes when I became a Conservative Mennonite and found out we don't do those things. I had to replace an eye for religious ritual with instead an attitude of praying to Jesus when nobody is around or would see me, and fasting became a more private thing—perhaps only shared with a few close brothers.

It remains telling to me that the progressive wing of Mennodom has really embraced Lent, Advent, and the church calendar.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:Fasting seems like a significant part of Jewish practice in the time of Jesus, and seems a sensible part of a Christian life, although it should not be done in public in order to win accolades from men (much like prayer). In scripture, prayer and fasting are often associated.

I don't see any example in the New Testament to fast at specific times, though, and particularly there is no discussion of fasting during Lent. I don't begrudge those who wish to do that, but don't think it is a biblical tradition.

For me personally, observing the church calendar and observing Lent and Advent were things I did when I wasn't a Christian but attended church. It was surprising to me and helped open my eyes when I became a Conservative Mennonite and found out we don't do those things. I had to replace an eye for religious ritual with instead an attitude of praying to Jesus when nobody is around or would see me, and fasting became a more private thing—perhaps only shared with a few close brothers.

It remains telling to me that the progressive wing of Mennodom has really embraced Lent, Advent, and the church calendar.
Thank you Josh, I wonder if it is because the progressives took a look into the writings of the early Church and found out that they did observe fasting 'corporately' but NOT 'showy'. In other words, you mention the Jews- The Didache, which is one of the earliest church writings that were not in the New Testament, speaks of the Church fasting every Wednesday & Friday because the Jews days to fast were Tuesday & Thursday- so we see that even in the first century of the Church, this practice was already in place. Because Jesus was addressing the 'showiness' of the Pharisees, making themselves appear miserable, I think we assume Jesus was dismissing corporate fasting- but instead He was addressing the ''attention" to appear like suffering souls during the fast- not the fast itself.

There was a section in David Bercot's dictionary of early Christian beliefs about the Lent itself- the 40 days prior to Easter- (Orthodox call it Pascha (Passover) and what it is, in preparation of one's soul.
I had thought very much like you too Josh about all this for most of my Christianity. Probably thought more like conservative Mennonites about it. I'm learning-
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I don't see much use for elaborate ceremonies and traditions that aren't in the Bible. My perspective is coloured a bit by having practised some of those traditions for far too long.

I don't see any fruits coming out of how progressives embrace some church traditions with much pomp, yet are not interested at all in a return to very basic biblical thinking and practice. For example:

Here's Why You Might See Some Christians With Sparkly Crosses This Ash Wednesday
Parity, a New York-based advocacy group which works to help people reconcile faith and LGBT identity, is mixing traditional ashes with purple glitter this year in a show of solidarity with LGBT Christians — and they're encouraging congregations all over to do the same.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

growing up in a "no Lent fasting" family, Lent remains a mystery to me.
this year, i am noticing some are abstaining from FB, internet forums+games, the computer, etc., for Lent (so, Valerie, some responses may not come due to that choice.)

i'm certain Lent is not about further placing one's self/chosen activism at center. :(
these folks are in need of continued prayers, not more media circus.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

In Catholic World, the 40 days of Lent imitates Christ's 40 days in the wilderness. It's not just a fast from comestibles; it's also a fast from things that distract us from God so that we can better focus on our relationship with Him.

In Lent, some give up sweets; or tv/computer/radio; or a number of other favorite activities that distract. We're encouraged to read a book on Christian discipleship as well as increase our prayer time and Bible time. So Lent is both a giving up and a taking up of activities.

YMMV :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:I don't see much use for elaborate ceremonies and traditions that aren't in the Bible. My perspective is coloured a bit by having practised some of those traditions for far too long.

I don't see any fruits coming out of how progressives embrace some church traditions with much pomp, yet are not interested at all in a return to very basic biblical thinking and practice. For example:

Here's Why You Might See Some Christians With Sparkly Crosses This Ash Wednesday
Parity, a New York-based advocacy group which works to help people reconcile faith and LGBT identity, is mixing traditional ashes with purple glitter this year in a show of solidarity with LGBT Christians — and they're encouraging congregations all over to do the same.
Again, when you throw the baby out with the bath water because of what 'some' do, then the enemy of our soul gains victory. As Max PC shares, it is based on Jesus 40 day fast- and as we 'follow' Jesus then there can be fruit of doing this even if you are examining things that bother you Josh. God sees the heart. There will be some that love to consider what all Jesus endured during His own 40 day fast, the purpose of it, the humbling of the soul- and however each individual searches their heart to draw closer to the Lord before celebrating His Resurrection on Easter (or Pascha as Orthodox refer to it) then try not to be too judgemental of it when others do find benefit Josh, how could anyone possibly claim to know what is in every persons heart who participates? Why did Jesus fast 40 days? Personally, I was touched by what some of the callers to the radio had to share about it- I've learned a lot more about it, in the last few years that was quite meaningful. If the early church practiced it according to early church writers/fathers then whatever warped things enter in today shouldn't make true followers give it up. I get frustrated every time the enemy 'wins' by his tactics to destroy what Jesus taught.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I don't have a problem if others want to practice some traditions, as long as they don't go against scripture.

I do have a problem if someone claims Jesus taught Lent, which he didn't, or expects me to follow Catholic or Orthodox traditions not found in the Bible.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:I don't have a problem if others want to practice some traditions, as long as they don't go against scripture.

I do have a problem if someone claims Jesus taught Lent, which he didn't, or expects me to follow Catholic or Orthodox traditions not found in the Bible.
I should correct this- I didn't say Jesus taught "Lent", the early Church practiced it not sure how it was started because I am not Sola Scriptura, and do believe the Holy Spirit (God) was guiding the Church, I wouldn't rule out it was divinely inspired. Jesus said "Follow Me" and He fasted 40 days. Granted I don't know but a couple of people who fasted like Jesus did, for 40 days- but if He saw the value in this, then by example we should too.

Jesus did encourage to fast, He didn't say 'if' you fast, He said 'when' you fast. I appreciate what I have learned about it and one thing that I know the Orthodox teach about this period, it is to not judge others so I'm trying not to judge the judgementalism about Lent- I think it is beautiful that the Churches see what this COULD be about and people that would love to humble their souls for the period of time leading up to Pascha (Easter or Resurrection Sunday) but the practice of fasting itself is very scriptural & an area I've always struggled. I thought there could be some interest in this discussion but apparently not- there is a lot of early church writings about fasting/praying/Lent etc- so will just glean from that and others as they share the positives to encourage me.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Valerie wrote:
Josh wrote:I don't have a problem if others want to practice some traditions, as long as they don't go against scripture.

I should correct this- I didn't say Jesus taught "Lent", the early Church practiced it not sure how it was started because I am not Sola Scriptura, and do believe the Holy Spirit (God) was guiding the Church, I wouldn't rule out it was divinely inspired. Jesus said "Follow Me" and He fasted 40 days. Granted I don't know but a couple of people who fasted like Jesus did, for 40 days- but if He saw the value in this, then by example we should too.

Jesus did encourage to fast, He didn't say 'if' you fast, He said 'when' you fast. I appreciate what I have learned about it and one thing that I know the Orthodox teach about this period, it is to not judge others (about what they do) so I'm trying not to judge the judgementalism about Lent- I think it is beautiful that the Churches see what this COULD be about and people that would see the benefit to humble their souls for the period of time leading up to Pascha (Easter or Resurrection Sunday) but the practice of fasting itself is very scriptural & an area I've always struggled. I thought there could be some interest in this discussion but apparently not- there is a lot of early church writings about fasting/praying/Lent etc- so will just glean from that and others as they share the positives to encourage me. I read in the "Today" thread that Perigreno is giving up fb and MN for Lent- I had gotten off fb couple weeks ago anyways- perhaps MN may be a good idea too as it can stir up negative feelings if not careful, and that would defeat the purpose of the season but it also emphasizes how much the evil realm hates fasting- after all Jesus told His followers when they failed at casting out demons, "this kind cannot come out without prayer and fasting" so He revealed not only one benefit, but also the enemy knows if we avoid fasting we are spiritually weaker to confront his realm/attacks- I took not of that as a baby Christian.
0 x