What are your thoughts re Hegelian Dialectic & CRT in the Church?

General Christian Theology
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: What are your thoughts re Hegelian Dialectic & CRT in the Church?

Post by RZehr »

Starting a new thread to discuss housing.
Here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4991
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: New Thread: What are your thoughts re Hegelian Dialectic & CRT in the Church?

Post by temporal1 »

P.7:
Falco Underhill wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:59 am
temporal1 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:25 am Of course it sounds far-fetched. But. :? :? i’d like to listen to VB and/or Thomas Sowell speak to it. Possibly they have.
I have just ordered Vouddie Baucham's new book, Fault Lines. It's on this topic of CRT. I will probably be sharing insights from it sometime next week or the following week. 8-)

Not sure where to add this, maybe adding it here will get Falco’s attention+interest?
(They are not speaking specifically to church settings.)

LARRY ELDER with CHRISTOPHER ADAMO / “Big Trap: Ideology Founded on Lies” / 20:34min

Christopher Adamo wrote: RULES FOR DEFEATING RADICALS

Saul Alinsky 1909-1972 “Rules for Radicals”
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Saul-Alinsky

i understand Larry Elder is consider a 2024 POTUS run. He describes himself as Libertarian.
i would look forward to him as POTUS.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Hey Ken, remember you told us Critical Race Theory isn't being practiced in schools and is just some obscure academic thing?

It was actually practiced from 2013 - 2020, if this paper is to be believed, in an elementary school in the south.

https://www.academia.edu/49457153/Count ... l_identity
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:40 am Hey Ken, remember you told us Critical Race Theory isn't being practiced in schools and is just some obscure academic thing?

It was actually practiced from 2013 - 2020, if this paper is to be believed, in an elementary school in the south.

https://www.academia.edu/49457153/Count ... l_identity
I said it wasn't being TAUGHT in schools. Because it isn't a school subject.

And this article isn't about teaching CRT in schools either if you had actually bothered to read it.

This article is simply about using the experiences of Black teachers to help inform school staff in the district about issues related to systemic racism within the school district. Which are, in fact, very real. And I would argue that it is a long overdue positive development if Mississippi school districts are finally coming to grips with the systemic racism in their midst. Unless you want to try and make the absurd argument that there exists no problems of systemic racism within Mississippi schools.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:57 am
I said it wasn't being TAUGHT in schools. Because it isn't a school subject.

And this article isn't about teaching CRT in schools either if you had actually bothered to read it.

This article is simply about using the experiences of Black teachers to help inform school staff in the district about issues related to systemic racism within the school district. Which are, in fact, very real. And I would argue that it is a long overdue positive development if Mississippi school districts are finally coming to grips with the systemic racism in their midst. Unless you want to try and make the absurd argument that there exists no problems of systemic racism within Mississippi schools.
Whut?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Aha. So CRT actually is being practiced in elementary schools across the country. (And, yes, that includes teaching it.) If you bothered to read it, you’d know it said it was taught directly to pupils.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:50 am Aha. So CRT actually is being practiced in elementary schools across the country. (And, yes, that includes teaching it.) If you bothered to read it, you’d know it said it was taught directly to pupils.
I did read the article. All 22 pages.

It is about an academic researcher who worked with a group of staff members on an "equity team" at a highly diverse elementary school in Mississippi during their monthly professional development sessions. The focus was to listen to the actual stories of black teachers as a way of understanding racial biases that they, the teachers, might have, or that might be built into the system at that school district. You obviously didn't read the article. It was very mundane but probably useful in some minor way.

This is the sort of ordinary professional development that happens across all school districts in the country. I've been to a ton of that sort of thing. Some of it useful, some of it not so much. This particular example? It may or may not have been useful, it's hard to tell from the paper. You'd have to ask the teachers involved if they actually got anything out of it.

This is what happens in education because every state in the country requires that all teachers do ongoing "professional development" to maintain their teaching licenses. Here in WA we have to do a minimum of 20 hours per year to keep our license current, and keep our hours documented in our state licensing file. More than 20 for some specialty certifications like Special Ed. Some of it is subject-related (math, science, English, etc.) and some of it is more general pedagogy like this. Over the past decade I've been to trainings on

5E lesson planning
Danielson Model Lesson Planning
Mastery Based Grading
Trauma-informed practices
Mindfulness and "growth mindset"
Experiential and "project-based" learning
Diversity and Equity
NGSS
Digital Citizenship
Blind Spots and hidden biases
Response to Intervention (RTI)
Inclusive-based learning
Proactive classroom management
Suicide prevention
Restorative Justice

and others that I have forgotten. Some useful, some not so much. It is the bane of every teacher's existence frankly. Because they often do this stuff during the staff work days the beginning of the school year when you'd rather be in your classroom getting materials and lessons ready for the start of school.

I fail to see the slightest issue with this particular effort. Do you not think that teachers at a diverse school district in Mississippi should not be aware of issues of race and how it may affect their teaching and their students? If that is what you think then you are willfully blind to the society in which we live, and both the past and present in Mississippi.

Ignore the buzzword CRT and tell me a single thing that you think is actually problematic with this particular project.
Last edited by Ken on Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:57 am I said it wasn't being TAUGHT in schools. Because it isn't a school subject.
By that logic one could claim that evolution is not being taught in schools, when obviously it is.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh

Post by Josh »

No, I don’t think CRT indoctrination is a good idea for either elementary teachers or elementary students.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:47 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:57 am I said it wasn't being TAUGHT in schools. Because it isn't a school subject.
By that logic one could claim that evolution is not being taught in schools, when obviously it is.
No, evolution is actually a subject. There are chapters and units on evolution in every general HS biology textbook in the country. Or at least those used in public schools.

The most common HS biology textbook is Miller Levine and it is the one my district uses. https://www.savvas.com/index.cfm?locato ... RgEALw_wcB It has 4 chapters on evolution

UNIT 5: Evolution
Chapter 15: Darwin's Theory of Evolution
Chapter 16: Evolution of Populations
Chapter 17: The History of Life
Chapter 18: Classification
Last edited by Ken on Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x