What are your thoughts re Hegelian Dialectic & CRT in the Church?

General Christian Theology
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: New Thread: What are your thoughts re Hegelian Dialectic & CRT in the Church?

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:21 am In order to claim there should be “collective reconciliation”, first you must adjudicate “collective guilt”, so that’s why I’m asking you exactly who is guilty - that is, who belongs to this “collective” you claim exists.

In particular, you claimed such responsibility only exists in the case of a democracy, which is particularly interesting - democracies as we understand them didn’t exist in NT times. So how exactly do you support your views based on scripture?
You don't think collective guilt existed in the Bible? It is one of the Bible's most common themes actually. Starting with Noah and Sodom and Gomorrah.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Re: New Thread: What are your thoughts re Hegelian Dialectic & CRT in the Church?

Post by GaryK »

Ken wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:14 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:21 am In order to claim there should be “collective reconciliation”, first you must adjudicate “collective guilt”, so that’s why I’m asking you exactly who is guilty - that is, who belongs to this “collective” you claim exists.

In particular, you claimed such responsibility only exists in the case of a democracy, which is particularly interesting - democracies as we understand them didn’t exist in NT times. So how exactly do you support your views based on scripture?
You don't think collective guilt existed in the Bible? It is one of the Bible's most common themes actually. Starting with Noah and Sodom and Gomorrah.
And yet Noah's and Lot's families were apparently not part of that "collective guilt". Why?

At the final judgment day, will we be judged collectively or individually?
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

GaryK wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:22 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:14 pm

And yet Noah's and Lot's families were apparently not part of that "collective guilt". Why?

All the children and unborn babies who perished in the flood were certainly judged collectively. The Bible is replete with examples of collective punishment and collective responsibility.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

GaryK wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:28 pm Of note is the messages to the churches in Revelation are addressed to the leaders of those churches and the call to repentance seems to be focused on individuals (If anyone hears my voice...). Also mention is made about the few names in Sardis who hadn't defiled their garments, which seems to imply individual choice.
GaryK wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:22 pm

Matthew 24:40
https://biblehub.com/matthew/24-40.htm
39And they were oblivious, until the flood came and swept them all away.
So will it be at the coming of the Son of Man.

40 Two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left.

41Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left.…
✝️
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I am content to let what I have written stand regarding my thoughts...

However a quick clarification here...I don't believe I claimed "collective responsibility only exists in the case of democracy." Au contraire - social responsibility exists where societies exist regardless of political systems. That includes all social systems, including churches, families, etc - from my perspective.

Again not looking to argue just to clarify my viewpoint.
1 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

Jesus:
Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town.
1 x
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

joshuabgood wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:36 pm
Jesus:
Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town.
That may just refer to it's comparison in "infamy." At any rate the innocents were delivered from Sodom, and I would expect the same for any innocents in that town.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: What are your thoughts re Hegelian Dialectic & CRT in the Church?

Post by Josh »

The question at hand is one where I think a lot of the church got it really wrong in the era from 400 A.D. and on; from that point on, you had entire countries "converting" to Christianity because their king or prince or whoever decided they would go from being pagan to being a "Christian" country.

I find this prospect rather absurd.
1 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

Falco Underhill wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:07 pm
Jesus:
That may just refer to it's comparison in "infamy." At any rate the innocents were delivered from Sodom, and I would expect the same for any innocents in that town.
Were the unborn children in the womb not innocent in Sodom?
0 x
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

joshuabgood wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:19 pm
Falco Underhill wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:07 pm

Jesus:
Were the unborn children in the womb not innocent in Sodom?
Do you think those innocents will have to answer for the sins of Sodom on judgment day? I don't.

There's such a thing as age of accountability. The Bible says somewhere (I think) not to assume that when a person dies young it's because they were judged because they were probably just spared from worse things. I suppose those innocents are in really good hands now!
Last edited by Falco Underhill on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x