What are your thoughts re Hegelian Dialectic & CRT in the Church?

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: New Thread: What are your thoughts re Hegelian Dialectic & CRT in the Church?

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:17 am Perhaps if more members joined in and shared their experiences and thoughts; and there was less monopolising of this thread by two individuals who are obsessive about "educating" everyone to their pov, it would be more fruitful.

Interestingly there is a large group of conservative African American pastors (e.g. Voddie Baucham) who cite CRT as harmful to race relations and are preaching against it. These pastors are producing sound theological arguments against CRT.
Sure, everyone should feel free to read up on CRT, share widely-accepted definitions that they are using, point to specific writings they agree with or disagree with. Some of us have been doing that.

But this is really kind of abstract academic stuff. I'm not sure how many people actually have experiences and thoughts regarding the Hegelian Dialectic and CRT. This isn't where most of us are living. I doubt that this is the kind of thing that the average MN member has experience reading.

I think this became a big culture war theme when Trump declared that CRT is “toxic propaganda that will destroy our country.” I don't remember if I had heard of it before then or not. I think it more likely that it's a broad and ill-defined set of disciplines in academia that is trying to understand how systems interact with race in ways that seem to disadvantage some Americans, some good, some bad, some too abstract and impractical to evaluate. Did you read the Bell article that many say kicked off the movement? To me, it is basically exploring why Brown v. Board of Education did not lead to integrated schools all over the country, and it explains this by saying that black interests will only be met when they align with white interests. It looks at things like magnet schools as ways to align these interests. I can't see anything in the article that is likely to destroy the country.

To me, "toxic propaganda" is what you get when people shout at each other and can't take the time to read, discuss what things mean, define terms, and reflect.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: New Thread: What are your thoughts re Hegelian Dialectic & CRT in the Church?

Post by MaxPC »

Falco: Here is an interesting interview and video critiquing CRT. What are your thoughts?
Voddie Baucham
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

“Voddie Baucham” / thread. Interesting views. :)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3774&p=121869&hilit=voddie#p121869

Thomas Sowell is not a pastor.
He’s written many books, and has made many videos.

“Thomas Sowell discusses his newest book, Intellectuals and Race” / 38 min.

“Thomas Sowell on Myths of Economic Inequality / 53 min.

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube ... e&ie=UTF-8

So many good men do so much, yet are IGNORED in the mainstream. Very sad.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:17 am Interestingly there is a large group of conservative African American pastors (e.g. Voddie Baucham) who cite CRT as harmful to race relations and are preaching against it. These pastors are producing sound theological arguments against CRT.
Glad to hear somebody is. :mrgreen:
2 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Falco Underhill wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:34 am
MaxPC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:17 am Interestingly there is a large group of conservative African American pastors (e.g. Voddie Baucham) who cite CRT as harmful to race relations and are preaching against it. These pastors are producing sound theological arguments against CRT.
Glad to hear somebody is. :mrgreen:

So many good men do so much, yet are IGNORED in the mainstream. Very sad.
No effort made at balance. No apologies, either.

i tell my family, there may be no way to understand how difficult life is for black conservatives.
they really take criticism, even abuse. alienation from those they care most about.

not an easy path.

Dr Alveda King is another. She may be more worthy than MLK Jr. Virtually ignored.

i urge my family to be aware, be sympathic, and appreciative.
Last edited by temporal1 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:47 am Falco: Here is an interesting interview and video critiquing CRT. What are your thoughts?
Voddie Baucham
He's probably not using a widely accepted definition though. Must be toxic propaganda. :lol:
2 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Falco Underhill wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:07 am
MaxPC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:47 am Falco: Here is an interesting interview and video critiquing CRT. What are your thoughts?
Voddie Baucham
He's probably not using a widely accepted definition though. Must be toxic propaganda. :lol:
:rofl: :hi5
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Voddie Baucham
I appreciate Voddie Beacham's call to center what we do in the Gospel and the New Testament. Some of his criticisms seem to treat CRT as though it is all one thing and as a demonic religion. There are certainly people who claim they are doing CRT who look nothing like what Baucham describes. For instance, the Bell article that kicked off the movement, which I have quoted here. Baucham seems to imply that all CRT folks subscribe to an ideology closely associated with "Karl Marx, Antonio Gramsci, and their neo-Marxist successors in the Frankfurt School." That's clearly not the case for the ones I have read so far.

I agree that we need to look to Bible as our source of teaching on social justice. But it is hardly silent. It does not align with secular ideologies, but it does call for social justice. How do we understand what the dynamics of race are in order to address them as New Testament believers? To speak to race at all, we need to have some understanding of what the dynamics of race are in the United States, and the New Testament doesn't exactly tell us that.

Beacham is quite generally against loyalty to worldly factions, and I think that's a good thing. To me, though, it's rather overboard to describe CRT as a religion or a demonic ideology, though there are some extremists for whom it may be that. Just like extremists who see treat other worldly ideologies as their religion.

0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Anyone talking about CRT needs to also be thinking about intersectionalism; you can’t accept CRT in the present era without accepting third wave feminism and LGBT affirmation. That presents a real problem.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:44 pm Anyone talking about CRT needs to also be thinking about intersectionalism; you can’t accept CRT in the present era without accepting third wave feminism and LGBT affirmation. That presents a real problem.
Not only the content involved, but the RAPID and STRONG push to force these questionable agenda onto everyone’s children via education and “health” care, is mind boggling.
The cult factor, i.e., cults getting into laws and the public treasury, it looks dire. i pray for wisdom and peace.

i had no idea DJT spoke about CRT. Until boot’s reference above.
i wrote:
i urge my family to be aware, be sympathic, and appreciative.
[of worthwhile credible conservative leaders, like VB and TS. they endure so much for so little in return. They are NOT rare. They are systematically IGNORED, and worse.]
Last edited by temporal1 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN