Voddie Baucham

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Voddie Baucham

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:05 pm
temporal1 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:58 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:41 pm Temp, I’m starting to think that you might admire Voddie Bauchams ideas.

i’m enjoying him almost as much as i enjoy you. :D

the above audio talk, kinda lengthy, makes me think of listeniing to a friend beginning a new adventure, informally chatting in his living room. ideas, hopes, plans. kinda like when you, and GaryK, began your church plants. fresh starts!

i have a long way to go to catch up with Max and H Lamar Smith. :lol:
Temp - we enjoyed hearing him at a homeschool conference a few years back. I didn't know much about him before then. Have you read much on his theology of children as vipers?
Now I’m curious?
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:05 pm
temporal1 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:58 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:41 pm Temp, I’m starting to think that you might admire Voddie Bauchams ideas.

i’m enjoying him almost as much as i enjoy you. :D

the above audio talk, kinda lengthy, makes me think of listeniing to a friend beginning a new adventure, informally chatting in his living room. ideas, hopes, plans. kinda like when you, and GaryK, began your church plants. fresh starts!

i have a long way to go to catch up with Max and H Lamar Smith. :lol:
Temp - we enjoyed hearing him at a homeschool conference a few years back. I didn't know much about him before then. Have you read much on his theology of children as vipers?
Well there certainly seem to be vipers that were children at one time.
1 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

The hard core reformed theology drives much of his understanding of God, salvation, and people. His views on women and children are also problematic for some, me for one.

His view of salvation and what it is drives his race viewpoint and viper in diapers angle. As well as the noncommitment to following the witness and teachings of Jesus literally around suffering love, nonresistance, swearing of oaths, etc.

But most problematic, in my view, is the reformed theology of Calvin he endorses. It blasphemes God's character in my view. Calvin himself was personally complicit in killing followers of Jesus in the most horrific and obscene acts.

What worries me, is many CA folks seem to be drawn to him. I hope it isnt because he says th ings they want to hear regarding race relations. But I dont see how his overarching theology is anything akin to historic Anabaptism. So I dont get the attraction
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:34 pm The hard core reformed theology drives much of his understanding of God, salvation, and people. His views on women and children are also problematic for some, me for one.

His view of salvation and what it is drives his race viewpoint and viper in diapers angle. As well as the noncommitment to following the witness and teachings of Jesus literally around suffering love, nonresistance, swearing of oaths, etc.

But most problematic, in my view, is the reformed theology of Calvin he endorses. It blasphemes God's character in my view. Calvin himself was personally complicit in killing followers of Jesus in the most horrific and obscene acts.

What worries me, is many CA folks seem to be drawn to him. I hope it isnt because he says th ings they want to hear regarding race relations. But I dont see how his overarching theology is anything akin to historic Anabaptism. So I dont get the attraction
Perhaps you can tell us why Reformed theology seems to be gaining in popularity in BMA circles. I have a theory that most people in BMA would prefer to just be Southern Baptists, but in denim skirts. That seems to be the direction many of them are going.

With that said, I try to find things to appreciate in my Reformed and my Baptist friends, and even find things to appreciate in their books and intellectual work. But I wouldn’t pretend for a second any of it is remotely Anabaptist.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

joshuabgood wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:34 pm The hard core reformed theology drives much of his understanding of God, salvation, and people. His views on women and children are also problematic for some, me for one.

Can you tell us what Robin DiAngelo's overarching theology has in common with historic Anabaptism?
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

Josh wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:59 pm

Perhaps you can tell us why Reformed theology seems to be gaining in popularity in BMA circles. I have a theory that most people in BMA would prefer to just be Southern Baptists, but in denim skirts. That seems to be the direction many of them are going.

With that said, I try to find things to appreciate in my Reformed and my Baptist friends, and even find things to appreciate in their books and intellectual work. But I wouldn’t pretend for a second any of it is remotely Anabaptist.
I have the same concerns.
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

GaryK wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:31 pm

Can you tell us what Robin DiAngelo's overarching theology has in common with historic Anabaptism?
I don't know much about her, but I don-t think she makes any Christian claims so I don't think she has a theology or theism period.

With all due respect though, how is that relevant on a thread about Voddie Baucham?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

The biggest fan of Voddie Baucham here (indeed, perhaps the only one) is temporal1, who isn’t even Anabaptists as far as I know. I haven’t really run into people in plain circles who talk about him.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

joshuabgood wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:33 pm
GaryK wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:31 pm

I don't know much about her, but I don-t think she makes any Christian claims so I don't think she has a theology or theism period.

With all due respect though, how is that relevant on a thread about Voddie Baucham?
It's quite interesting to me that you don't seem very interested in the theological worldviews of people who are in line with your views on racial issues. If it's of such importance to focus on the theological worldview Voddie holds to and use that to discredit him on his views on racial issues, why not do the same with everyone?

One of the strong points of historical Anabaptism was to test ideas and doctrines against the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles and to reject what doesn't align with those teachings. As a professing Anabaptist, it seems strange to me that you would promote the worldviews of authors and speakers who make no Christian claims and possibly even deny theism altogether. IMO, that seems pretty anti-Anabaptist.
2 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Not that I'm defending either John Calvin or Voddie Baucham, but according to Jesus' exposition on murder there is evidently as much guilt in our modern Anabaptist settings as can be ascribed to John Calvin.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown