Voddie Baucham

General Christian Theology
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Voddie Baucham

Post by temporal1 »

i first learned about Voddie Baucham on this forum.
his name was easy to search, useful when i wanted to revisit, listen again, remind myself of what appleman and others had to say about him.

i haven’t directly or formally followed him. but, to my benefit, i come across his work here+there as i wander on earth.
he has pertinent things to say, i especially like how he leads to follow Jesus Christ,
not government, not popular opinion, mobs, blocs, cults - the how+why of it. he’s approachable and convicted in faith.
he understands the world and academia.

he breaks topics down in informed ways that are respectful and loving, without compromising Truth.

In no particular order, on no particular topic, i hope this thread will become a place to collect his work, whether spoken in videos or written. (i have not seen writings, they are welcome.)

Note:
he often references politics and current events - in explanation of why Jesus should be the choice, and how to avoid conflating what “sounds like” Christianity with that which Jesus is about.

“Biblical Justice versus Social Justice” / 55min.

Near the halfway point, VB talks about Karl Marx and Gramsci!! :D
This is timely for other current forum topics.

The purpose of this thread is to collect various works. Not to focus on any particular topic for an extended time.
The focus should not be politics debate/destruction-driven.

He can do it. :D Can we?? :P
2 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Re: Voddie Baucham

Post by temporal1 »

Podcast/video
“3 Examples of Jesus Addressing Homosexuality” / 8min / PFG/Plead for Grace introduction
2 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

If mods decide this thread should be moved, i don’t object.
i wanted to explain my initial intent and hope above - that’s all. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i guess it would be appropriate to add a biography, and references to his books.
and related findings.

VB’s website
https://www.voddiebaucham.org/

“About” page
https://www.voddiebaucham.org/about/
Dr. Voddie T. Baucham, Jr.
Voddie Baucham wears many hats. He is a husband, father, former pastor, author, professor, conference speaker, and church planter. He currently serves as Dean of Theology at African Christian University in Lusaka, Zambia.

Voddie makes the Bible clear and demonstrates the relevance of God’s word to everyday life. However, he does so without compromising the centrality of Christ and the gospel. Those who hear him preach find themselves both challenged and encouraged.

Voddie’s area of emphasis is Cultural Apologetics. Whether teaching on classical apologetic issues like the validity and historicity of the Bible, or the resurrection of Christ; or teaching on biblical manhood/womanhood, marriage and family, he helps ordinary people understand the significance of thinking and living biblically in every area of life.

:arrow: It is impossible to understand Voddie’s approach to the Bible without first understanding the path he has walked.
:arrow: Raised in a non-Christian, single-parent home, Voddie did not hear the gospel until he was in college.

:arrow: His journey to faith was a very unusual and intellectual one.
Consequently, he understands what it means to be a sceptic, and knows what it’s like to try to figure out the Christian life without relying on the traditions of men.

:arrow: As a result, he speaks to ‘outsiders’ in ways few Bible teachers can.

Dr. Baucham holds degrees from Houston Baptist University (BA in Christianity/BA in Sociology), Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (M.Div.), Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (D.Min.), an honorary degree from Southern California Seminary (D.D.), and additional post-graduate study at the University of Oxford, England (Regent’s Park College).

Voddie and his wife, Bridget have been married since 1989.
They have nine children:
Jasmine, Trey (Voddie, III), Elijah, Asher, Judah, Micah, Safya, Amos, and Simeon.

:arrow: The Bauchams are committed home educators.

Away from the pulpit and the classroom, Voddie is also a voice actor, lending his voice to films like George Washington Carver: An Uncommon Way, and the 2017 national theatrical release, Genesis: Paradice Lost, and an accomplished Martial Artist.
He took up Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in 2012 as an avenue of self-defence training, personal fitness, and outreach.
However, he began competing and found both a passion and a talent.
He has won numerous tournaments and titles, including winning the 2014 Pan American Championship in his division.

African Christian University
ACU seeks to transform Africa through a biblical worldview based education to the glory of God.
Operating under a group of Reformed Baptist Churches in Zambia, ACU is committed to glorifying God, our sovereign Creator, displaying His grace through love in serving the church and larger community by equipping students to wholeheartedly serve God through developing the spiritual, physical and intellectual gifts that He has given to them.

How could his life unfold like it has if not for the work of the Holy Spirit in his life?? :)

More:
https://www.google.com/search?q=voddie+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

HISTORY:
One of my all-time fav videos, “CHICAGO UNCHAINED” is “no longer available.
http://rebelpundit.com/chicago-activist ... eadership/

It was 4-5 minutes of several Chicago black men describing their experience John Hurt ^^^ describes above.
i posted it on MD and MN a few times. It remains relevant.

It was produced by REBEL PUNDIT, still active. (i haven’t followed them closely.)
http://rebelpundit.com/

John Hurt (above) is correct.
Lots of things DO NOT ADD UP, but they all end up supporting+promoting one faction: at all costs. :(

There is no shortage of black leaders who have this all figured out. CRICKETS.
That is no accident. It is tragic.

We may feel helpless. That doesn’t mean we’re stupid. It doesn’t mean hope does not thrive in Christ.

Voddie Baucham / A Biblical View of Race Relations / 1hr 48min (i skip the first 27min presentation-singing, etc.)

Voddie Baucham knows about Marx and Gramsci. CRT. White fragility. ALL OF IT. He chooses scriptures. :)
He explains why: “The Bible is sufficient.”
2 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Audio. Interesting to listen.

Voddie Baucham / “Why i’m moving to Africa” / Zambia / 1hr 9min
1 x

UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Temp, I’m starting to think that you might admire Voddie Bauchams ideas.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:41 pm Temp, I’m starting to think that you might admire Voddie Bauchams ideas.

i’m enjoying him almost as much as i enjoy you. :D

the above audio talk, kinda lengthy, makes me think of listeniing to a friend beginning a new adventure, informally chatting in his living room. ideas, hopes, plans. kinda like when you, and GaryK, began your church plants. fresh starts!

i have a long way to go to catch up with Max and H Lamar Smith. :lol:
1 x

UNKNOWN
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:58 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:41 pm Temp, I’m starting to think that you might admire Voddie Bauchams ideas.

the above audio talk, kinda lengthy, makes me think of listeniing to a friend beginning a new adventure, informally chatting in his living room. ideas, hopes, plans. kinda like when you, and GaryK, began your church plants. fresh starts!

Temp - we enjoyed hearing him at a homeschool conference a few years back. I didn't know much about him before then. Have you read much on his theology of children as vipers?
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:05 pm
temporal1 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:58 pm

Temp - we enjoyed hearing him at a homeschool conference a few years back. I didn't know much about him before then. Have you read much on his theology of children as vipers?
i’m new to VB, i first noticed him on this forum, possibly Robert shared a link last year, in one of the Seattle riots threads? My interest is exploratory, for sure.

i first heard of the vipers reference recently, jbg to GaryK, in another thread. i did not pursue at that time. of course the words are shocking, as they were intended to be in scriptures. my reaction was, “shocking. what is his point?” i did not pursue,
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3929&p=127797&hilit=vipers#p127797

because you mention it, i will pursue it, i am interested. because i appreciate so much of what i’ve heard VB say, my presumption is he has an important point to make. i won’t commit before learning more. i know he’s not Anabaptist.

i’m prepping to travel now and may not be able to get to it in a fair way until next week.

one personal thought comes to mind, tho.
when my grdaughter was born 13 years ago, what a miracle, blessing, and, answer to prayer. not just her birth and existence, but witnessing the transformation in her parents because of her. so much to learn!

i told them, i believe “God trusts in us” these dependent ones, to protect and guide them - for so many years!
humans are not like many species whose young are immediately or quickly independent. human development requires so much more. the end result is greater capacity, but getting there requires so much investment. God trusts so much in us. it’s a privilege, and humbling.

VB and his wife have a large family. they are invested. i’m not sure how many are adopted.
i’m just learning of them from the outside. i’m interested in dialogue, thank you for your question. :)

i don’t subscribe to making false gods out of ANYONE. or anything. i have NO expectations VB is any description idol.

one thing i pointed out to my daughter, before i was a grandmother, children are born dependent, innocent, and, NOT civilized.
God entrusts parents and society with the work of socializing/civilizing His creation, certainly, introducing faith. instructing. modeling.
it takes years+years, it may be the work of our lives.

no human or science creates life. God creates life. God assigns responsibilities. i tell my grdaughter she is God’s creation.

so, i will pursue with interest what VB is trying to address with his high shock value words. :D
his words were shocking, i presume intentionally so.

from what i’ve heard so far, VB’s motivation is to bring souls to authentic faith in Jesus Christ. to the best of his ability.
as i pursue this, i will be looking for how his words are intended for that end. i hope not to be disappointed. i’ll see what i find.
Last edited by temporal1 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN