Newcomers "Can" or "Want"

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Newcomers "Can" or "Want"

Post by Ernie »

Wade wrote:when I view the locations of plain churches; the less conservative groups tend to cluster in closer proximity while the ultra-conservatives that require more of these financial standards are more spread out and more available for newcomers to interact with...
I've often found it disconcerting that the folks who have the most narrow doctrine and practice are sometimes the most evangelistic. This not only applies not only to ultra-conservative Anabaptists but Mormons, JW's etc.
The moderate conservatives with whom I've interacted the last 15 years are not nearly as concerned about doing more clones of their church, because they don't think of themselves as being among the "true churches".
I see the ultra-conservative churches as a place for seekers to attend for awhile while they learn the culture and doctrine of the cons. Anabaptists, and if the church isn't too mean to them, they can then link up with a church that is a better fit for them later on.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Wade wrote:Oops... :oops: I realized just now there was a statement maybe could give the wrong impression:
But our experience is to share an illustration rather for your prayers or pity.
It should rather say: But our experience is to share an illustration and is not in an effort to gain any prayers or pity...
Is there something wrong with compassion and prayers?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:
Wade wrote:when I view the locations of plain churches; the less conservative groups tend to cluster in closer proximity while the ultra-conservatives that require more of these financial standards are more spread out and more available for newcomers to interact with...
I've often found it disconcerting that the folks who have the most narrow doctrine and practice are sometimes the most evangelistic. This not only applies not only to ultra-conservative Anabaptists but Mormons, JW's etc.
The moderate conservatives with whom I've interacted the last 15 years are not nearly as concerned about doing more clones of their church, because they don't think of themselves as being among the "true churches".
I see the ultra-conservative churches as a place for seekers to attend for awhile while they learn the culture and doctrine of the cons. Anabaptists, and if the church isn't too mean to them, they can then link up with a church that is a better fit for them later on.
I've been thinking about this for sometime.

I lived off and on in a plain community from 2005 - present, and I really had no idea I did until 2014. All I was aware of were the non plain Mennonites I was friends with.

All the churches in my community are moderate, fundamental, or theological conservative, and none of them seem to have seen much need to evangelise in our home community or the cities we have nearby.

Meanwhile, the intermediate conservative churches do evangelise quite a bit and the ultras and CGCM heavily evangelise. But they're all in another community an hour away and avoid encroaching on my community's home turf.
0 x