From Cult to Established Church

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

From Cult to Established Church

Post by MaxPC »

The thread about the Charity ministries has me considering a line of thought I cogitate on from time to time:
When does a "cult" become an established church or fellowship.

By cult I'm using the definition "a small group of people who share religious practices that are different from other fellowships, churches, or denominations." I'm not referring to the negative definition of the word.

The original Christians were considered a cult both by Rome and the Jewish hierarchy. It can be argued that Reformers and Radical Reformers all started as cults.

I'm interested in the thoughts of others on this.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: From Cult to Established Church

Post by Josh »

Just for clarification, Charity was never really a cult by established standards of what a "cult" is.

To further discuss this we would need to clarify what we mean by "cult".
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:Just for clarification, Charity was never really a cult by established standards of what a "cult" is.

Max did define what he meant, but you evidently skipped that part?
By cult I'm using the definition "a small group of people who share religious practices that are different from other fellowships, churches, or denominations." I'm not referring to the negative definition of the word.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

gcdonner wrote:
Josh wrote:Just for clarification, Charity was never really a cult by established standards of what a "cult" is.

Max did define what he meant, but you evidently skipped that part?
That part wasn't there when I made my reply. I'm guessing he edited his post?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote:The thread about the Charity ministries has me considering a line of thought I cogitate on from time to time:

The original Christians were considered a cult both by Rome and the Jewish hierarchy. It can be argued that Reformers and Radical Reformers all started as cults.

I'm interested in the thoughts of others on this.
i think you've pretty well answered your own question in your OP.
we just need to remember where we came from. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I don't define cult as being synonymous with "different"
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:The thread about the Charity ministries has me considering a line of thought I cogitate on from time to time:

I'm not sure if I understand your definition or not. Most churches continue to be groups that share religious practices different from other fellowships, churches, or denominations. Your definition specifies "small", but could otherwise be applied to most churches. Using this definition, do you consider a church a cult or not?

What's the difference between a church and a cult, using your definition?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I don't define cult as being synonymous with "different"
KB how would you define it?

To all: Note that I'm also differentiating a cult from an "established church or fellowship." As in
"When does a 'cult' become an established church or fellowship."

This is the crux of the query. 8-)
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:To all: Note that I'm also differentiating a cult from an "established church or fellowship." As in
"When does a 'cult' become an established church or fellowship."
So in this definition, the difference is whether it is established or not? If so, what do you mean by established and how can you tell if it is established or not? If you can answer that question, then it should answer the question in your OP - it becomes a church when it becomes established.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I don't define cult as being synonymous with "different"
Did you read Max's whole post? He was setting the parameters of the definition for this thread alone, not for general purposes.
The term "cult" has many different meanings, and not all of them are the negative connotation that we have attributed to the term in our generation.
As Max stated, Christianity was a cult, and viewed as a negative when it was born since it was an offshoot of Judaism. Judaism still views Christianity as a "cult" with the negative view. Islam views any religion other than it's own as a cult.

The use of the term is determined by it's context and Max has set the context for this discussion in particular. Do you understand and agree?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth