Swimming Upstream

General Christian Theology
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Re: Swimming Upstream

Post by justme »

Bootstrap wrote:I responded to RZehr here and here. Temp remembered RZehr's post and quoted it with some comments, someone (presumably a moderator) deleted her post.
the moderator log shows whenever a mod or admin edits or deletes someone's posting. it shows when they move posts/threads to other places. it shows when they approve or disapprove posts. it shows actions taken regarding reported posts. it also shows other things, which we don't often need to do.
the moderator log also shows when a person deletes their own posting within the editing time frame. it does not show when a person enters their own posting to edit it.

the moderator log shows me changing a thread title per request of ernie on saturday.
it shows wade deleting one of his posts sunday afternoon.
it shows neto deleting one of his posts sunday evening.
it shows robert deleting a bot posting in the welcome thread this morning, monday.

based on the moderator log, i can say that no one did anything to temporal's posting.
as to what happened? i do not know. one possibility is as max posted, an internet hiccup. another possibility is that temporal edited her posting, and in the process, inadvertently edited more than she intended. another possibility might be the posting is still in drafts.

i don't know what happened. but the moderator logs do not show anyone tampering with temporal's posting.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Weird. I have no idea what happened. I do know that I saw her post and replied to it, then it was gone.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

justme,
thank you for the explanation - lots of helpful info in there.

i had no idea what happened, "for the life of me" could not think of anything even remotely inappropriate or offensive in it. it was essentially a repost of RZehr's original post, with a link to the thread (for reference) - very little more.

i was befuddled. to say the least. :)

i'll check saved drafts .. i don't recall using that option Sunday morning. i'll check. thanks for the suggestion.

i certainly have lost posts before!
but, none that had first successfully posted.

when editing an existing post, if there's a hiccup - the post remains, without the new edits.
it doesn't just disappear. (in my experience.) ..
nope, it's not there. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I did another online search with the words "bible study swimming upstream" and was pleasantly surprised to see a number of sermons on the topic including several addressed to young people. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:one thing:
if we have it wrong when we believe we're swimming upstream - it will not last. we will be corrected.
when-where-how, is up to the Holy Spirit. we are all subject to the Holy Spirit.
in the meantime, we experience a lot of pain, cause others' pain, it can take time (we are nothing if not impatient!)

questions-wrestling can be tough, but they are ok. God is waiting for when we tire and seek Him in humility.

2 Peter 3:9
Beloved, do not let this one thing escape your notice:
With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
I really like this.

Fellowship is a poignant process of imperfect Christians trying to be good to each other as we grow together into God's love and grace. For some reason, God chooses to work via very imperfect people.

Wrestling is important, and hard. It's so tempting to just say "my opinion/practice/church is the right one, all good Christians agree with me, and we all know that those other people over there are all suspect". But that doesn't lead to Christian maturity.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:one thing:
if we have it wrong when we believe we're swimming upstream - it will not last. we will be corrected.
when-where-how, is up to the Holy Spirit. we are all subject to the Holy Spirit.
in the meantime, we experience a lot of pain, cause others' pain, it can take time (we are nothing if not impatient!)

questions-wrestling can be tough, but they are ok. God is waiting for when we tire and seek Him in humility.

2 Peter 3:9
Beloved, do not let this one thing escape your notice:
With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
I really like this.

Fellowship is a poignant process of imperfect Christians trying to be good to each other as we grow together into God's love and grace. For some reason, God chooses to work via very imperfect people.

Wrestling is important, and hard. It's so tempting to just say "my opinion/practice/church is the right one, all good Christians agree with me, and we all know that those other people over there are all suspect". But that doesn't lead to Christian maturity.
wrestling can be terrifying to surrounding loved ones. we don't want to see our loved ones lost, or seeking. many grey hairs are attributed to loved ones witnessing their children/grandchildren/loved ones struggle. i experience it, others on this forum have shared about it. we don't like it. we like to pretend we are in control.

but God allows wrestling. for His perfect will.
Jesus instructs His to have faith. we have prayer. faith, prayer, hope, trust, these are ours, given to us, to fall into.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN