Understanding the "Idea of Church"

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Understanding the "Idea of Church"

Post by MaxPC »

In this thread, it would be nice to hear thoughts on the quote below. ONE RULE ONLY: Share without blaming or bashing others.
If the tie between God and Christians is weakened, the Church becomes simply a human structure, one society among others. With that, the Church becomes trivial; she makes herself worldly and is corrupted to the point of losing her original nature. Indeed, without God we create a Church in our own image, for our little needs, likes, and dislikes.
Cardinal Sarah*
*Cardinal Sarah is a man.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Understanding the "Idea of Church"

Post by JimFoxvog »

Agree. Without God the "church" is not the church.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Cardinal Sarah is a godly man in Africa.
i respect everything i've read about him, and from him. he's dedicated his life to serving others.
he is clear, a wise communicator.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

JimFoxvog wrote:Agree. Without God the "church" is not the church.
It's such a simple concept but how often is it forgotten? Too often I'm afraid.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

While I like all the quotes given, I'll toss in an different angle. When the church loses her relationship with God, and loses sight of God, she still may contribute to humanity in a different and better way than other social clubs. Because if she retains the bible and teaches from it, a person may find in that the Truth. If this person that finds the Truth, asks for more information from this church, two possibilities could emerge. First (though maybe unlikely), revival may be brought about in others. Secondly, this person that finds Truth may leave this dead church and continue his walk with God with others. Yet in his life, God used that first dead church to play a role in this persons life. God can use even dead churches.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:While I like all the quotes given, I'll toss in an different angle. When the church loses her relationship with God, and loses sight of God, she still may contribute to humanity in a different and better way than other social clubs. Because if she retains the bible and teaches from it, a person may find in that the Truth. If this person that finds the Truth, asks for more information from this church, two possibilities could emerge. First (though maybe unlikely), revival may be brought about in others. Secondly, this person that finds Truth may leave this dead church and continue his walk with God with others. Yet in his life, God used that first dead church to play a role in this persons life. God can use even dead churches.
Great points, RZehr. Very true, every word.

If you don't mind I'll offer my definition of a "dead church": it's one that no longer teaches or respects the Bible at all and has no relationship with God: it's nothing more than a social club or charity agency. If a church is still teaching from the Bible, but does not have a healthy relationship with God, then we might still hear some breathing even though it might be a death rattle - and resuscitation/revival is still possible if they "hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches."

You're right though: God can use dead churches and even the worst of circumstances for the conversion of hearts. We see that in the parable of the Prodigal :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)