Post by temporal1 »

i’m not sure where to put this article.
i’ve never seen anything like it.

Catholic Answers / Anabaptists
Violent and extremely radical body of ecclesiastico-civil reformers
https://www.catholic.com/encyclopedia/anabaptists
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Catholic to Anabaptist

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:08 pm
Whoever wrote this does not seem even to have looked at even a secular history book.

I will use as an example my, now falling apart "The Reformation of the Sixteenth Century" by Roland Bainton. He would say that the Anabaptist movement was "The church withdrawn" . As to Munster "The whole ugly episode discredited anabaptism. Despite the fact that they had been for the first ten years under frightful provocation they had been without offense, yet when a handful of the fanatics ran amuck, the entire party was besmirched by with the excesses of the lunatic fringe, and well into the nineteenth century historians of the reformation did little but recount the aberrations of the saints rampant. (Pg. 106.)

so there you have it. He is a secular historian, his book a text in a state university history class in the 70s,

They are making the exception the rule. The Munsterites were outliers, by far.

Much of this occurred because the more moderate leadership was killed off by the catholics and the lutherans. The result was that the fringe took over in that area for that brief moment. Sattler, Manz, Blaurock Sattler, all dead. Whatever did they expect. They also find a way to talk about the movement, without even mentioning the Phillips brothers and Menno Simons. However did they do that.

This is, to say the least intellectually dishonest, and was cherry picking. There is also no mention of the Anabaptists of Nikolsberg.

This piece is dishonest. Period.
Thanks. i found the report ghastly and shocking.
The presentation belies the content. i don’t know anything about the source (Catholic Answers / Catholic.com).

Did you notice Menno (Simonis) mentioned in the last paragraph?

Also, at the very bottom:
Catholic Answers is pleased to provide this unabridged entry from the original Catholic Encyclopedia, published between 1907 and 1912. It is a valuable resource for subjects related to theology, philosophy, history, culture, and more. Like most works that are more than a century old, though, it may occasionally use anachronistic language or present outdated scientific information.
Accordingly, in offering this resource Catholic Answers does not thereby endorse every assertion or phrase in it.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN