The Inheritance Swiss Reconciliation with Amish and Mennonites

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

The Inheritance Swiss Reconciliation with Amish and Mennonites

Post by Ernie »

I don't question the sincerity of these folks at all, but can someone help me understand how people can forgive each other for things they never did to each other and whether there is any NT theology for this?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: The Inheritance Swiss Reconciliation with Amish and Mennonites

Post by mike »

Sorry, can't help you out with that one. :roll:
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

It's my understanding in some of the scholarly historical writings that there were incidents and problems between the two. My books aren't with me but suffice to say there is a POV about that based on those incidents.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I don't think this is quite the same forgiving as it is taught in the NT.
It seems like we have glommed onto this idea that we can forgive our selves, and we can forgive on the behalf of others. I don't think it is quite correct thinking, or terminology to use the word forgive. Seems like a bit of a God complex to me.

But I do think this is an attempt to address something that is real. I also think it is nice to clarify our feelings toward these groups, as groups. I think it might be a blessing for these people.
Is it really needed? Probably not.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote:It seems like we have glommed onto this idea that we can forgive our selves, and we can forgive on the behalf of others.
You put that so well!
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:I don't think this is quite the same forgiving as it is taught in the NT.
It seems like we have glommed onto this idea that we can forgive our selves, and we can forgive on the behalf of others. I don't think it is quite correct thinking, or terminology to use the word forgive. Seems like a bit of a God complex to me.

But I do think this is an attempt to address something that is real. I also think it is nice to clarify our feelings toward these groups, as groups. I think it might be a blessing for these people.
Amen. :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

It is unfortunate that the threads regarding the "Amish Apology Tour" have disappeared along with MD.
Well, maybe not so much. :)
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

MaxPC wrote:
RZehr wrote:I don't think this is quite the same forgiving as it is taught in the NT.

Amen. :up:
Max, isn't this similar to a catholic priest forgiving sins that are not against him?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote:It is unfortunate that the threads regarding the "Amish Apology Tour" have disappeared along with MD.
Be careful what you wish for. I have archives.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Bootstrap wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:It is unfortunate that the threads regarding the "Amish Apology Tour" have disappeared along with MD.
Be careful what you wish for. I have archives.
Eh, is that a threat? :mrgreen: I think that was my most active thread on MD. I found the whole thing to be ridiculous and annoying.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3