The Christian, the Bible, and the Tongue

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

The Christian, the Bible, and the Tongue

Post by MaxPC »

As follow-up to this thread.
I found this link to a study and I'm interested in how we can discern an application to our own lives vis a vis Christian charity in communication both written and spoken.

Tongue Control.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: The Christian, the Bible, and the Tongue

Post by JimFoxvog »

I am interested in the idea that the teachings on "the tongue" which appear to originally refer to spoken words also apply to written words, such as on this forum. Makes sense, but does anyone here have some scripture to help support that idea?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

JimFoxvog wrote:I am interested in the idea that the teachings on "the tongue" which appear to originally refer to spoken words also apply to written words, such as on this forum. Makes sense, but does anyone here have some scripture to help support that idea?
Much of the early church teachings were oral as recorded in the NT. Paul and some others wrote and their letters in the NT did not exhibit vindictive personal attacks.

Did Jesus write treatises? The only recorded act of writing that I recall was of Jesus stooping and writing on the ground in the story of the woman caught in adultery.

Another consideration: most dialogues did not take place in written form among the disciples as many did not have literacy skills. The average disciple of that era had face to face discussions just as we see in many fellowships.

Public literacy and the internet have changed the format of those dialogues, but the admonishments and encouragements remain applicable to ALL words, written and spoken. Both forms carry the weight of our witness.

How can we apply these teachings personally?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

How far do we want to take this?

Someone told me he was excommunicated for joking around too much, saying things he didn't actually mean, etc.

If we really agree that such things are grave sins, then excommunication is merited. But before you go down that path, think about how you would feel if you were worried you could end up on trial for every word you say.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:How far do we want to take this?

Someone told me he was excommunicated for joking around too much, saying things he didn't actually mean, etc.

If we really agree that such things are grave sins, then excommunication is merited. But before you go down that path, think about how you would feel if you were worried you could end up on trial for every word you say.
We would do well to prepare. Jesus said that we will. See Matthew 12:35-37.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:How far do we want to take this?

He probably was warned about this before he was excommunicated, isn't that usually the case?
Granted in mainstream Christianity, the surrounding culture has influenced those from it, by way of joking around, silliness, sarcasm, slandering- etc- t.v. has done a great deal to influence attitudes. I didn't realize this so much until I started reading Anabaptist teachings and listening to their messages and warnings against such 'talk'- as in above post reminds us in Matthew 12: 35-37 or say Ephesians 5:3But among you, as is proper among the saints, there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality or impurity or greed. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk, or crude joking, which are out of character, but rather thanksgiving. 5For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure, or greedy person (that is, an idolater), has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.…

Confessing the way we talk like that as 'sin', displeasing the Lord, and praying He cleanse us and help us with this would be proper direction- having come from the worldly culture, it took me awhile to realize how much of this has infiltrated the Church- however I realize that many people have come out of the world into the Church and don't really see this behavior (yet) as sin. The Holy Spirit, if we heed His conviction, and sometimes through others who care about our souls, will help us.
0 x