slaves to righteousness

General Christian Theology
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: slaves to righteousness

Post by Hats Off »

Yes, that is my point exactly. Everything that the father has belongs to the older son. He is not taking it away from the older and giving it to the younger.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Hats Off wrote:I tend to take a bit of exception to the way we view the rich young ruler as well as the older brother in the story of the prodigal son. We assume they were both self righteous when they may very well have been answering honestly. Obviously neither one was absolutely perfect but I do not see Jesus condemning them as we so often do. I love the last words of the father in the story of the prodigal son "son, you are ever with me and all that i have is yours. We do not see the father judging here - they were both his sons.
I have no doubt they were both answering honestly.
And Jesus didn't come into the world to condemn the world. We condemn ourselves by our response to Him, ... if we walk away.
And it would be interesting to know the older son's response. Maybe they lived happily ever after, or maybe he walked away.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

silentreader wrote:
Hats Off wrote:I tend to take a bit of exception to the way we view the rich young ruler as well as the older brother in the story of the prodigal son. We assume they were both self righteous when they may very well have been answering honestly. Obviously neither one was absolutely perfect but I do not see Jesus condemning them as we so often do. I love the last words of the father in the story of the prodigal son "son, you are ever with me and all that i have is yours. We do not see the father judging here - they were both his sons.
And Jesus didn't come into the world to condemn the world. We condemn ourselves by our response to Him, ... if we walk away.
And it would be interesting to know the older son's response. Maybe they lived happily ever after, or maybe he walked away.
You know how the parable of the forgiving father/prodigal son stops without an ending, kind of? I listened to a message by John MacArthur in which he suggested that what happened next was that the older son picked up a piece of wood and beat his father to death, relating it to the cross and the death of our Redeemer and the source of our forgiveness.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

silentreader wrote:
silentreader wrote:
You know how the parable of the forgiving father/prodigal son stops without an ending, kind of? I listened to a message by John MacArthur in which he suggested that what happened next was that the older son picked up a piece of wood and beat his father to death, relating it to the cross and the death of our Redeemer and the source of our forgiveness.
Talk about a Baptist imagination run wild!
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

gcdonner wrote:
silentreader wrote:
silentreader wrote:
Talk about a Baptist imagination run wild!
:lol:
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

silentreader wrote:
Wow, I wonder where he got anything to support that ending.

I also don't see Jesus condemning the older brother in that story. The story from start to finish is about a loving father that even when we may feel cheated, he loving explains how we should be looking at things. Our minds are in an on-going renewing in the way we view things if we have ears to hear when the Holy Spirit guides us.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Sudsy wrote:
silentreader wrote:

I also don't see Jesus condemning the older brother in that story. The story from start to finish is about a loving father that even when we may feel cheated, he loving explains how we should be looking at things. Our minds are in an on-going renewing in the way we view things if we have ears to hear when the Holy Spirit guides us.
He's probably a Dispen-sensationalist... :rofl: :laugh
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

gcdonner wrote:
Sudsy wrote:
silentreader wrote:

The elder brother must not have been an Anabaptist. I've heard bible stories embellished but this one has to be one of the, as you say, most sensational endings I have ever heard. This really came from John MacArthur ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

Sudsy wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Sudsy wrote:

The elder brother must not have been an Anabaptist. I've heard bible stories embellished but this one has to be one of the, as you say, most sensational endings I have ever heard. This really came from John MacArthur ?

https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo. ... 9908135378
0 x