Them there Catholics

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Them there Catholics

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote:A pastor who is now in BMA stated that on several occasions, when traveling in a place where there was no Mennonite church, he attended the local Catholic church on a Sunday morning rather than looking for something more compatible.
This is definitely not very common in the cons. Anabaptist world. Most would never want to darken a Catholic church doorway.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

I think there's one leader in Pilgrim Conference who has said there are some similarities between Anabaptists and Catholics. I think the two groups tend to say similar things when confronted with the faith-alone emphasis of Protestantism, but how they view the Christian life differs significantly, as has already been mentioned. (Think of Jazman's post.)

That's another anecdote to add to the list. I think we note these anecdotes precisely because they are atypical.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ernie wrote:
ohio jones wrote:A pastor who is now in BMA stated that on several occasions, when traveling in a place where there was no Mennonite church, he attended the local Catholic church on a Sunday morning rather than looking for something more compatible.
This is definitely not very common in the cons. Anabaptist world. Most would never want to darken a Catholic church doorway.
I wasn't expecting to hear it either, especially from a well-known and widely-respected leader, which is probably why I've remembered it for over 20 years.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

When I was in an Anabaptist church and a regular attender decided to go to a Catholic parish instead and become Catholic, the general mood was that his soul was in danger.
0 x