Them there Protestants

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Them there Protestants

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:
Ernie wrote: I'm referring to Wesylan churches with a statement of faith something like this.
https://www.wesleyan.org/beliefs
Yes, I could have added Nazarenes to my list as I look for them as well.

What is surprising to you about CoC on my list?
CoC tends to have a reputation for being one-true-church and for thinking everyone who doesn't do baptism, salvation and communion the way they do isn't saved. I would view referring someone to CoC like referring someone to United Pentecostal or to a Church of God in Christ, Mennonite church - I would do so if I could find no other good options, or I knew the particular congregation had an excellent ministry.
There is a lot of variety. You have Max Lucado's church that is basically embarrassed to be identified with CoC, to folks like my neighbor in Arkansas who would have seen me as a potential convert. In the middle were my friends at Harding University who were solidly Church of Christ but were embarrassed with my neighbor who would have liked to convert me.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:
Ernie wrote:
ohio jones wrote:There are several conservative Holiness groups in addition to the more mainstream Wesleyan Church. Some of them have standards similar to fundamental-conservative Mennonites, with the exception of the veiling (though of course there are doctrinal differences).

holiness.cc/churchfinder/
Would all of these allow women preachers?

Yes, the doctrinal differences are a bit too much for me.
Conservative Holiness would not allow women preachers.
My holiness neighbors in Arkansas wore their hair up and wore skirts but had women preachers. What were they?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Ernie wrote:What is surprising to you about CoC on my list?
Perhaps it's just a local trend but the CoC here are known for being quite worldly and having a "one true church" air about them. Also one of the more politicized churches as far as I know.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ernie wrote:
Josh wrote:Conservative Holiness would not allow women preachers.
My holiness neighbors in Arkansas wore their hair up and wore skirts but had women preachers. What were they?
Generally speaking, mainstream Holiness churches allow women preachers. Some conservative Holiness groups do, some don't, depending on how they define "conservative" in relation to the mainstream.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Ernie wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:One thing I've learned from MN is that the Anabaptist body is not a homogeneous one; I think this applies to all major groups of Christians.
With that in mind, are there any particular groups of Protestants that are, in general, viewed as "better-than-the-rest" or "preferable" from an Anabaptist perspective?
My work with Billboard Evangelism the last 6 years frequently includes making church recommendations. Since most of our inquirers are not looking for a "pilgrim church", nor live near one, I will say something like, "We don't have a church to recommend in your area, but I can give some suggestions of churches you can visit and decide for yourself whether Christ is the head of this church."
I go online and look for an Evangelical Free Church, Wesleyan Church, Church of Christ, or a Bible Church, I read their statements of faith, and if there is nothing too far out of line, I will pass the contact information along.
If they allow women pastors or if they include tithing and pre-millenialism in their statement of faith, I am not likely to encourage someone to visit that church. I also wouldn't refer people to a church that makes speaking in tongues a big deal.

I would really like suggestions of more churches to add to my list so maybe you have more to suggest???
The Salvation Army.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Wayne in Maine wrote:The Salvation Army.
I struggle with their views related to
  • Hereditary Total Depravity
    A low view of baptism and communion.
    Ordination of Women
    Seeking church financing from outside the church
Do you not struggle with these? or do you see these as being less problematic than the problems of churches like Evangelical Free Church, Wesleyan Churches, Nazarene, Church of Christ, or a Bible Church?
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Ernie wrote:What is surprising to you about CoC on my list?
Perhaps it's just a local trend but the CoC here are known for being quite worldly and having a "one true church" air about them. Also one of the more politicized churches as far as I know.
Yes, rural churches in Arkansas do have that "one true church" air. I don't know enough about the mainstream to know whether they have the same air or not.

CoC people from the Stone/Campbell movement sat in the same prisons/camps as Conscientious Objectors from the Anabaptist world so there is some shared history that a few CoC people today are discovering and wishing they could go back to. It's odd that CoC today is one of the most politicized denominations.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

That's not a a rural Arkansas thing, CoC all the way in Australia still has that One True Church air about them, and are convinced a new believer is heading straight for hell until the moment they are done being baptised (and must be fully dunked). International Church of Christ inherited the same faulty view.

With that said, CoC could be a good church for a seeker - I would personally rather send them to a Oneness Pentecostal church:

- Still One True Church and belief in baptismal regeneration, so no difference there
- Strong practice of classic Holiness lifestyle like skirts on women, uncut hair, not going to movies, and social life centred around church, which I think are both biblical and very helpful to a new seeker or believer
- Churches in virtually every area, usually a couple to choose from
- Ethnic-flavoured churches of a few to choose from - where I live, there are some predominantly black, white, and a Hispanic church within 45 minutes, plus a multi-ethnic congregation. This is very helpful for someone who speaks Spanish best, or someone who is going to feel awkward as the only person of their race is an all white church.
- Churches ranging from new small church plants to very big ones
- A strong emphasis on individual discipleship and evangelising unchurched people, which is sadly lacking in the CoCs I've been around
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

KingdomBuilder wrote:One thing I've learned from MN is that the Anabaptist body is not a homogeneous one; I think this applies to all major groups of Christians.
With that in mind, are there any particular groups of Protestants that are, in general, viewed as "better-than-the-rest" or "preferable" from an Anabaptist perspective?
From my Anabaptist perspective the groups that practice believer baptism are preferable. That would include baptists and church of Christ. Groups that reject war, like the Christian Quakers (not the name of a group, but a description of some people and some congregations) are in that way "better-than-the-rest". Any group that holds a high view of scripture is to be preferred; we at least have a common basis for a conversation.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:That's not a a rural Arkansas thing, CoC all the way in Australia still has that One True Church air about them, and are convinced a new believer is heading straight for hell until the moment they are done being baptised (and must be fully dunked). International Church of Christ inherited the same faulty view.

With that said, CoC could be a good church for a seeker - I would personally rather send them to a Oneness Pentecostal church:

- Still One True Church and belief in baptismal regeneration, so no difference there
- Strong practice of classic Holiness lifestyle like skirts on women, uncut hair, not going to movies, and social life centred around church, which I think are both biblical and very helpful to a new seeker or believer
- Churches in virtually every area, usually a couple to choose from
- Ethnic-flavoured churches of a few to choose from - where I live, there are some predominantly black, white, and a Hispanic church within 45 minutes, plus a multi-ethnic congregation. This is very helpful for someone who speaks Spanish best, or someone who is going to feel awkward as the only person of their race is an all white church.
- Churches ranging from new small church plants to very big ones
- A strong emphasis on individual discipleship and evangelising unchurched people, which is sadly lacking in the CoCs I've been around
good to know
0 x