Them there Protestants

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Them there Protestants

Post by Ernie »

Bootstrap wrote:
Ernie wrote:Are you comfortable with this list/assessment?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogereolso ... minations/
Is this a generic you or are you asking for a particular person's opinion?
Generic.

I'm reading the comments right now and find this enlightening.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I've generally given up on trying to classify congregations by denomination. So often, a sick congregation belongs to a denomination with good theology and guidelines. And so often, a surprisingly healthy and biblical congregation belongs to a denomination that has real problems. Go figure.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:And so often, a surprisingly healthy and biblical congregation belongs to a denomination that has real problems. Go figure.
I'd say I'm in such a church now
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:And so often, a surprisingly healthy and biblical congregation belongs to a denomination that has real problems. Go figure.
It is true that a congregation often reflects the pastor(s). That is the main reason why there is such a wide variation from one congregation to another in the same denomination. That is true across the board, and I think it would include EO & RC.
What say ye, Max?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

gcdonner wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:
It is true that a congregation often reflects the pastor(s). That is the main reason why there is such a wide variation from one congregation to another in the same denomination. That is true across the board, and I think it would include EO & RC.
What say ye, Max?
I would say this fairly different with the priest system and how much less influential preaching is in RC and EO.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote: I would say this fairly different with the priest system and how much less influential preaching is in RC and EO.
I think you would be surprised.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

gcdonner wrote:I think you would be surprised.
i certainly have been.
when i am with my family i attend mass with them, not a large church.

the priest is not a "flashy" speaker, at all, but i am impressed with how careful he is in trying to relay his message so that all can understand. it comes across as a personal message, a message he is invested in sharing. .i wasn't expecting that.

during the week, i would ask my (wiggly) grdaughter a couple of informal questions about the message, she would answer without hesitation. telling me he was conveying his message, and, she was getting the message, in spite of wiggling.

i don't mind a little wiggling, as long as it's not disrupting to others. her mother is not so patient. :P being a grparent is a great gig.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The masses I visit (Catholic) sometimes have a brief homily. The priest is pretty much interchangeable with anyone else.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I've been to Greek and Russian Orthodox churches before... let's just say I was tragically confused... the whole time.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:The masses I visit (Catholic) sometimes have a brief homily. The priest is pretty much interchangeable with anyone else.
I have been to masses that had excellent homilies, and some parishes are certainly much more effective than others in reaching out to their neighborhoods and showing real love.

In a lot of ways, Catholics are at the opposite end of the spectrum from Mennonites, but priests aren't robots, and some of them are very much servants of God.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?