Them there Protestants

General Christian Theology
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Them there Protestants

Post by KingdomBuilder »

One thing I've learned from MN is that the Anabaptist body is not a homogeneous one; I think this applies to all major groups of Christians.
With that in mind, are there any particular groups of Protestants that are, in general, viewed as "better-than-the-rest" or "preferable" from an Anabaptist perspective?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Them there Protestants

Post by RZehr »

KingdomBuilder wrote:One thing I've learned from MN is that the Anabaptist body is not a homogeneous one; I think this applies to all major groups of Christians.
With that in mind, are there any particular groups of Protestants that are, in general, viewed as "better-than-the-rest" or "preferable" from an Anabaptist perspective?
The few Plain Anabaptist that have knowledge of other groups would have an opinion. I'm guessing most would just divide Christianity into"Plain Anabaptists" & "Protestants" and "Catholic". Just my opinion here in the cheap seats.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

RZehr wrote:The few Plain Anabaptist that have knowledge of other groups would have an opinion. I'm guessing most would just divide Christianity into"Plain Anabaptists" & "Protestants" and "Catholic". Just my opinion here in the cheap seats.
I myself hardly differential between Protestant churches beyond "Evangelical" and "Charismatic". So this isn't unexpected.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

KingdomBuilder wrote:One thing I've learned from MN is that the Anabaptist body is not a homogeneous one; I think this applies to all major groups of Christians.
I would differentiate more on a congregational level. For instance, I knew of a congregation I would have gone to if I didn't have access to a Mennonite one. But that hinged on the pastor, I discovered. He left and his congregation would no longer be an option for me.

I tended to view some Baptist congregations as somewhat different from regular protestants, but there's fewer and fewer of those around. Maybe none.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

lesterb wrote:I tended to view some Baptist congregations as somewhat different from regular protestants, but there's fewer and fewer of those around. Maybe none.
All we have are Southern Baptists (of whom I was raised), so I'm not sure what "other" baptists are like.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

My work with Billboard Evangelism the last 6 years frequently includes making church recommendations. Since most of our inquirers are not looking for a "pilgrim church", nor live near one, I will say something like, "We don't have a church to recommend in your area, but I can give some suggestions of churches you can visit and decide for yourself whether Christ is the head of this church."
I go online and look for an Evangelical Free Church, Wesleyan Church, Church of Christ, or a Bible Church, I read their statements of faith, and if there is nothing too far out of line, I will pass the contact information along.
If they allow women pastors or if they include tithing and pre-millenialism in their statement of faith, I am not likely to encourage someone to visit that church. I also wouldn't refer people to a church that makes speaking in tongues a big deal.

I would really like suggestions of more churches to add to my list so maybe you have more to suggest???
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
RZehr wrote:The few Plain Anabaptist that have knowledge of other groups would have an opinion. I'm guessing most would just divide Christianity into"Plain Anabaptists" & "Protestants" and "Catholic". Just my opinion here in the cheap seats.
I myself hardly differential between Protestant churches beyond "Evangelical" and "Charismatic". So this isn't unexpected.
KB and RZehr, well said :up:

Likewise in Catholic World, there are those who incorrectly differentiate Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox placing Anabaptists in the Protestant category. Once upon a time in my younger years I did so as well. At the end of the day we're all on a learning curve as long as we're open to learning. Please pray for those who refuse to learn
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:Likewise in Catholic World, there are those who incorrectly differentiate Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox placing Anabaptists in the Protestant category. Once upon a time in my younger years I did so as well. At the end of the day we're all on a learning curve as long as we're open to learning. Please pray for those who refuse to learn
Academically speaking, "Protestant" refers to everyone who was part of the Catholic church, but then separated themselves from it in the Reformation. Anabaptism is one of the major branches of Protestantism.

Amongst conservative Anabaptists ourselves, we often use the term "Protestant" to mean "everyone who is Protestant but isn't a conservative or plain Anabaptist", or to mean "Evangelical".

Traditionally this movement is seen as an offshoot of European Protestantism, but recently this view is challenged, mostly by Anabaptists themselves.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Ernie wrote:I go online and look for an Evangelical Free Church, Wesleyan Church, Church of Christ, or a Bible Church, I read their statements of faith, and if there is nothing too far out of line
I've never heard of Evangelical Free Church. I'm a bit surprised to see the COC on your list.
Are you talking about the Wesleyan Church or churches who follow Wesleyanism (Nazaren?) ?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Ernie wrote:I go online and look for an Evangelical Free Church, Wesleyan Church, Church of Christ, or a Bible Church, I read their statements of faith, and if there is nothing too far out of line
I've never heard of Evangelical Free Church. I'm a bit surprised to see the COC on your list.
Are you talking about the Wesleyan Church or churches who follow Wesleyanism (Nazaren?) ?
When I lived in Berlin I was a member of an Evangelical Free Church ... which is not the same denomination as the Free Evangelical Church for what it's worth. They really were quite similar to Mennonites. And very much influenced by Pietists. Those two statements are not a contradiction ;->
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?