Them there Protestants

General Christian Theology
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Them there Protestants

Post by KingdomBuilder »

JimFoxvog wrote:From my Anabaptist perspective the groups that practice believer baptism are preferable. That would include baptists and church of Christ.
This really isn't a distinctive, though. Maybe way back when it was a bigger deal, but it seems now that almost all Protestant denominations practice believers baptism- does it not?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:From my Anabaptist perspective the groups that practice believer baptism are preferable. That would include baptists and church of Christ.
This really isn't a distinctive, though. Maybe way back when it was a bigger deal, but it seems now that almost all Protestant denominations practice believers baptism- does it not?
Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopal, Anglican, United Church of Canada, and Reformed (totaling about 25 million members in North America) are some of the larger Protestant denominations that practice infant baptism. They would also practice believer's baptism in the case of an adult convert, but I don't think that's what Jim meant.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Of the 15 largest Protestant denominations according to Pew Research ( http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/chap ... apter1-03/ ) six that I am aware of practice infant baptism. So one of the things we Anabaptists restarted caught on pretty well.

I was baptized as an infant with the Lutherans and grew up with the Methodists, so that was my point of reference. I was rebaptized with the Church of Christ/Christian Church about 40 years ago. I didn't officially become Anabaptist until about 16 years ago.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

JimFoxvog wrote:I was baptized as an infant with the Lutherans and grew up with the Methodists, so that was my point of reference. I was rebaptized with the Church of Christ/Christian Church about 40 years ago. I didn't officially become Anabaptist until about 16 years ago.
I understand. In my area, the only significant non-adult baptizers would be Methodists, so it really is a lot about location/ sub-culture. Sorry if I came across in any way other than kind.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Ernie wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:The Salvation Army.
I struggle with their views related to
  • Hereditary Total Depravity
    A low view of baptism and communion.
    Ordination of Women
    Seeking church financing from outside the church
Do you not struggle with these? or do you see these as being less problematic than the problems of churches like Evangelical Free Church, Wesleyan Churches, Nazarene, Church of Christ, or a Bible Church?
Orthodoxy is only one dimension. Orthopraxy is another. I know of few other churches in Protestantism more committed to "seeking that which is lost" and "doing to the least of these".
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ohio jones wrote:Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopal, Anglican, United Church of Canada, and Reformed (totaling about 25 million members in North America) are some of the larger Protestant denominations that practice infant baptism. They would also practice believer's baptism in the case of an adult convert, but I don't think that's what Jim meant.
Methodists leave the form up to the individual. I grew up Methodist, was baptized as an infant by my parents, and was baptized again when I became a Christian at the age of 13. This was common among youth in my congregation.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Ernie wrote:Do you not struggle with these? or do you see these as being less problematic than the problems of churches like Evangelical Free Church, Wesleyan Churches, Nazarene, Church of Christ, or a Bible Church?
Orthodoxy is only one dimension. Orthopraxy is another. I know of few other churches in Protestantism more committed to "seeking that which is lost" and "doing to the least of these".
Amen.

This always puzzles me. Different churches are good in different ways. A church that bears good fruit in their works may have mediocre understanding of Scripture. A church with excellent academic knowledge of Scripture may not do much. A church with great depth in prayer may not be all that solid in Scripture or good works. For the most part, a church that is really good at any of these will have strong relationships - even the one with really good academic knowledge probably has strong small groups.

I've been in wonderful churches where I could barely sit through the lousy sermons because the worship was good and the church was excellent in so many other ways.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Are you comfortable with this list/assessment?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogereolso ... minations/
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Ernie wrote:Are you comfortable with this list/assessment?

Is this a generic you or are you asking for a particular person's opinion?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote:Are you comfortable with this list/assessment?

FWIW: I noticed that this list was made in 2012. Some of those churches that he's recommended have since approved of homosexual lifestyles and unions. I wonder if the author will update that list because of that development?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God