Them there Protestants

General Christian Theology
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Them there Protestants

Post by gcdonner »

Bootstrap wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Spot on, GC. 1.2 Billion members in the Catholic Church, which equals the population of India. We have members from every culture in our rolls. One of my favorite memories is going to a Mass in a large city parish and seeing African dress, Korean and traditional Japanese clothing and even a few kilts. No one gave me a second look because of the variety. It was a normal Sunday as well, no special celebrations.
I would still love to hear testimony from a Catholic priest or two that you have been seen wearing Amish style clothing in his church. So far, your claims and your website are the only evidence I have seen of that, and the pictures on the website are not what they claim to be. On Catholic forums, they have said this is mostly an internet phenomenon.

And I would still like to understand what you are trying to express by choosing that style of dress, if you actually dress that way. If you actually do work together with groups of plain Mennos or Anabaptists, I would like to hear from them, we are well connected to them on MN, and so far nobody seems to know about these connections. We answer your questions, I think you should answer ours.

The way to play the Mennonite game is to know someone who knows someone who can tell us about you from personal experience.
I am George's, George's, George...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
Ernie wrote:
Josh wrote:Conservative Holiness would not allow women preachers.
My holiness neighbors in Arkansas wore their hair up and wore skirts but had women preachers. What were they?
Generally speaking, mainstream Holiness churches allow women preachers. Some conservative Holiness groups do, some don't, depending on how they define "conservative" in relation to the mainstream.
(below, i separated some sentences, added some underlines .. the original display is in the link.)
WESLEYAN-ARMINIAN
https://www.lcoggt.org/about/wesleyan_arminian.htm
WESLEYAN-ARMINIANISM is a theological position that blends concepts Jacobus Arminius (1560-1609) and John Wesley (1703-1791).

Arminius was a minister of the Dutch Reformed Church and Professor of Theology at Leiden, Holland. He was noted for his opposition to the strict Calvinism doctrine of predestination.

John Wesley was and Anglican priest and scholar whose evangelistic work produced a major revival in the British Isles and later became the foundation for the Methodist Church. Wesley was noted for his "method" of holiness and his teaching on the "second blessing" that brings a grace that enables Christians to live holy lives.

Wesleyan-Arminianism is noted for its believe in free will and the possibility for holy living.
As with most theological positions, there is a spectrum of belief ranging from Semi-Pelagianism to Eradicationism. Dr. John Miley, D.D. (1813-1895) presents an excellent discussion of Wesleyan-Arminian theology in this Systematic Theology (Hunt & Easton, New York, 1893).

Wesleyan-Arminianism is the next step in the direction of conservatism from Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism.

This theology posits that people are born into the world depraved as the result of Adam's fall in the Garden of Eden. Since they are depraved, they do not have the Holy Spirit, are spiritually dead, and are inevitably prone to sin. As sinners, people are hopelessly lost in sin and headed for eternal death. In His mercy and grace, God approaches all sinners through the workings of the Holy Spirit to bring them to a place where they can comprehend their need to be made right with God.
While the unregenerate person is incapable of saving faith, the prevenient grace of God offers the gift of faith that can enable the penitent sinner to repent and believe in the efficacy of Christ's atonement to cause him to be born again.

Through the new birth, the person receives forgiveness of past sins and the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit by which he can understand the Scriptures and the will of God so that he can live a holy life of obedience throughout his life.

What is difficult for Christians of other theological persuasions to comprehend about Wesleyan-Arminianism is the belief that imperfect humans can actually live without committing sin and in continual submission to the leading of God in their lives.

THE REMONSTRANT ARTICLES
The five foundational articles of Arminian Theology (A.D. 1610).

THE ARMINIAN
A periodical dealing with the doctrines and practices of Arminian Theology. Originally started by John Wesley and resurrected in the Spring of 1980 by the Wesleyan Fellowship and Press. (In selecting this link, you will leave this website.)

Read these interesting articles:
WHAT IS AN ARMINIAN?
WHO WAS ARMINIUS?
The Free Methodist Church (see "Our Core Values")
http://www.pnwc.org/fm/
"Our Challenge: To Become an Apostolic Movement"
i'm confused. :?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

temporal1 wrote: i'm confused. :?
I'm not surprised. One size does not fit all holiness groups, even in their definitions of holiness. Some will ordain divorced and remarried men too!
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

A year later .. :)
There has been quite a lot of “brotherly” acrimony on forum recently,
esp about, “Them there Evangelicals.” :o

i continue to be confused. that’s on me. i own it. :?

The words, Protestant, and, Evangelicals, and, protestants, and, evangical .. are used in such differing ways. On this forum, and, in the world.

Esp when it seems pretty well establish (on this forum) there are “so many” differing Anabaptists, so many on the “Anabaptist spectrum.” The same is now said regarding Catholics.

But, differences are set aside when brotherly acrimony is in use.

About Evangelicals voting. This is “a big one” on this forum. Those evil Evangelicals.

But. Who are they? :? In particular: These evil Trump voters?

Statistics reflect, A WHOLE LOT OF LEGAL VOTERS DO NOT VOTE. ever.
i’ve been told this from childhood in public schools. Primary, and local elections, are especially noted for low voter participation. Even the recent 2018 Primary, as busy as it was, was still low turnout.

Just saw this, for perspective, thought it might be useful here:

”Only one religious group gave majority support to House GOP in midterms“
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/11/1 ... n=theblaze

Pew Study
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... elections/

My takeaway is, there’s a lot of exaggeration about who is voting, who is voting for whom, and why.

.. possibly, i should add a disclaimer.
i don’t think of close political votes as strictly “win-lose,” as is done in sports.
in my mind, close votes reflect serious disagreement that’s not apt to disappear, once “the trophy” is awarded. rather than celebrate, “winners” would be well to be humbled that “about half” may be unhappy/alienated.

i realize, this is not the media-circus way!
they want everything to be “on edge” and, “to the death.”
circus drama, not peace, not reason, sells what they’re sellin’.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN