Them there Protestants

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Them there Protestants

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:And so often, a surprisingly healthy and biblical congregation belongs to a denomination that has real problems. Go figure.
I'd say I'm in such a church now
I am too.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote: It is true that a congregation often reflects the pastor(s). That is the main reason why there is such a wide variation from one congregation to another in the same denomination. That is true across the board, and I think it would include EO & RC.
What say ye, Max?
Absolutely agree. Broad brush descriptions rarely exhibit a fair depiction of any denomination, congregation, fellowship, parish, or individuals.

I'm a lifelong Catholic and in my 80 years I've heard many homilies and sermons. I've visited Non-Catholic fellowships and denoms. If the sermon is made up of generalized cliches and platitudes, I would consider it less than excellent. I've heard those both in Catholic World and elsewhere.

I've also heard some truly outstanding pulpit thumping challenges both from priests and non-Catholic preachers that exhort and encourage the congregation to more fully embrace their Christian discipleship. Some even elicited a standing ovation (which isn't supposed to be done during Mass but it happened anyway) because the priest fearlessly taught about abortion, Biblical marriage and maintaining authentic loyalty to Christ.
:up:
Last edited by MaxPC on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:
Josh wrote:The masses I visit (Catholic) sometimes have a brief homily. The priest is pretty much interchangeable with anyone else.
I have been to masses that had excellent homilies, and some parishes are certainly much more effective than others in reaching out to their neighborhoods and showing real love.

In a lot of ways, Catholics are at the opposite end of the spectrum from Mennonites, but priests aren't robots, and some of them are very much servants of God.
My point was that a typical Catholic parish isn't priest-driven to the same degree that Protestants tend to be pastor-driven.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:Absolutely agree. Broad brush descriptions rarely exhibit a fair depiction of any denomination, congregation, fellowship, parish, or individuals.

I'm a lifelong Catholic and in my 80 years I've heard many homilies and sermons. I've visited Non-Catholic fellowships and denoms. If the sermon is made up of generalized cliches and platitudes, I would consider it less than excellent. I've heard those both in Catholic World and elsewhere.

I've also heard some truly outstanding pulpit thumping challenges both from priests and non-Catholic preachers that exhort and encourage the congregation to more fully embrace their Christian discipleship. Some even elicited a standing ovation (which isn't supposed to be done during Mass but it happened anyway) because the priest fearlessly taught about abortion, Biblical marriage and maintaining authentic loyalty to Christ.
We use the same Bibles, after all.

Still, you won't hear a Catholic priest urge parishioners to wear Amish clothing or conservative Mennonite clothing, or to identify themselves with Anabaptists. Most priests in America probably do consider us Christians too, but they don't exactly identify with us.

Then again, a lot of plain Mennonites and Anabaptists wouldn't even identify with non-plain Mennonites and Anabaptists ...
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Bootstrap wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Absolutely agree. Broad brush descriptions rarely exhibit a fair depiction of any denomination, congregation, fellowship, parish, or individuals.

Still, you won't hear a Catholic priest urge parishioners to wear Amish clothing or conservative Mennonite clothing, or to identify themselves with Anabaptists. Most priests in America probably do consider us Christians too, but they don't exactly identify with us.

Then again, a lot of plain Mennonites and Anabaptists wouldn't even identify with non-plain Mennonites and Anabaptists ...
That is also true of evangelical churches, but it depends on the pastor and the church, and I suspect that it is true in RC and EO as well. Considering that the first Anabaptists were originally RC, well....
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
Josh wrote:The masses I visit (Catholic) sometimes have a brief homily. The priest is pretty much interchangeable with anyone else.
I have been to masses that had excellent homilies, and some parishes are certainly much more effective than others in reaching out to their neighborhoods and showing real love.

In a lot of ways, Catholics are at the opposite end of the spectrum from Mennonites, but priests aren't robots, and some of them are very much servants of God.
My point was that a typical Catholic parish isn't priest-driven to the same degree that Protestants tend to be pastor-driven.
We aren't talking about "typical" are we? You are speaking in pretty broad generalities based on your own perception. Are your Holdeman churches pastor driven? There are no two churches alike within the same denomination of any flavor, from my experiences.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

gcdonner wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:

That is also true of evangelical churches, but it depends on the pastor and the church, and I suspect that it is true in RC and EO as well. Considering that the first Anabaptists were originally RC, well....
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

gcdonner wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:We use the same Bibles, after all.

Let's put it this way: If there are priests who do, I would sure like to know who. I haven't been able to find anything like this on Catholic forums.

Catholics do work together with non-plain Mennonites in some ministries. We both identify as Christians, recognizing our differences, but also our unity in Christ. I haven't seen this in plain circles.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Spot on, GC. 1.2 Billion members in the Catholic Church, which equals the population of India. We have members from every culture in our rolls. One of my favorite memories is going to a Mass in a large city parish and seeing African dress, Korean and traditional Japanese clothing and even a few kilts. No one gave me a second look because of the variety. It was a normal Sunday as well, no special celebrations.

I've also seen similar diversity of dress in Protestant churches. It's a wonderful diversity of Christians out in the real world and I've seen some outstanding collaboration and fruits for Christ's Kingdom occur among them.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:Spot on, GC. 1.2 Billion members in the Catholic Church, which equals the population of India. We have members from every culture in our rolls. One of my favorite memories is going to a Mass in a large city parish and seeing African dress, Korean and traditional Japanese clothing and even a few kilts. No one gave me a second look because of the variety. It was a normal Sunday as well, no special celebrations.
I would still love to hear testimony from a Catholic priest or two that you have been seen wearing Amish style clothing in his church. So far, your claims and your website are the only evidence I have seen of that, and the pictures on the website are not what they claim to be. On Catholic forums, they have said this is mostly an internet phenomenon.

And I would still like to understand what you are trying to express by choosing that style of dress, if you actually dress that way. If you actually do work together with groups of plain Mennos or Anabaptists, I would like to hear from them, we are well connected to them on MN, and so far nobody seems to know about these connections. We answer your questions, I think you should answer ours.

The way to play the Mennonite game is to know someone who knows someone who can tell us about you from personal experience.
0 x